The New Harleys are out...

• August 19, 2013 2:01 AM PDT
    They made some changes from the fairing to the tour pak and beyond... See what ya think? Look at that big hole in the fairing!!!
    • 846 posts
    August 19, 2013 7:26 AM PDT
    Plus there is a water cooled v twin in the mix. 2014 CVO FLHTKSE and FLHTCUTG Trike are water cooled. I'm already getting invites to the local shops to see the 2014 as the dealers have already received there 2014's. Some new stuff like the vented fairings and changes to the inside too. Time to make a lunch run down to the dealer.
    • 5419 posts
    August 19, 2013 7:48 AM PDT
    I like what I have seen and read about them so far, guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer this week too to check them out.

Here is the press release on the new line... http://www.cyclefish.com/BikerNews/blog/2930/ />
    and of course you can see them at http://www.h-d.com/ />
  • August 19, 2013 3:04 PM PDT
    A friend of mine brought a new soft tail deluxe by the house yesterday. It is gorgeous!
  • August 19, 2013 4:31 PM PDT
    The website claims the the trike is air-cooled. The only water-cooled engines I saw were the two V-Rods
  • August 19, 2013 5:09 PM PDT
    I stand corrected. Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine just posted an article on Facebook making the same claims. Funny, the H-D site makes it hard to find that info.
  • August 19, 2013 5:40 PM PDT
    I looked at the line-up, anyways as much as I could. They have gotta be kidding, or there has to be some sick joke being played...or did I really see TWO headlights on that Sporty? Tell me it isn't so.
    • 1 posts
    August 20, 2013 2:38 AM PDT
    Not buying a new one... nothing I seen impressed me. But I am not a easy costomer either.
    • 844 posts
    August 20, 2013 2:56 AM PDT
    Flatsalt wrote...
    I looked at the line-up, anyways as much as I could. They have gotta be kidding, or there has to be some sick joke being played...or did I really see TWO headlights on that Sporty? Tell me it isn't so.

I just checked out all the sportys and didn't see two headlights on any of them http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/sportster.html />
    So I'll tell you it isn't so

• 846 posts
    August 20, 2013 5:17 AM PDT
     Here's a link to a Facebook page from one of the local dealers in my area from a dealers show.  It shows some of the cooling hoses but not to much detail. If you don't know what to look for (radiators in the leg guards) you'll miss it on the production bikes.
  • August 20, 2013 6:43 AM PDT
    The only two models which have water cooled assist. They call the engines "twin cooled". The others are just air cooled as always. Can you imagine the leaks???? Here we go...
  • September 6, 2013 3:19 AM PDT
     I'll wait untill the new ones come into the dealers as used.  Buy a new one and you STILL have to replace $1000 in basic stuff:  seat, crash bars, handlebars, grips, mirrors - etc.  Bought my 07 Street Glide off the showroom floor and swore I'd never lose that much money on a new bike again.  

There are simply too many "no riders" who trade in a low mile bike, giving us a more affordable selection of bikes that are not even broken in yet.  That said, they are beautiful.

• September 6, 2013 3:47 AM PDT
     As a mechanic I am still disappointed in H.D. AKA money grubbing sluts. They are still going the way of jap manufacturing. Wear it out and throw it away. I've rebuilt everything from flatys to evos. You can't even replace the rod bearings on a twin can. Build it cheaper and sell it for more. That's becoming the American way.
  • September 6, 2013 4:18 AM PDT
    Looked at the 2014 Twin Cooled (Water Cooled) Ultra yesterday, Very nice! Have a scheduled appt. to ride the 2014 Indian Chief next week. Will then decide if I want to trade my 2011 FLTRU-103.
    • 3006 posts
    September 6, 2013 5:07 AM PDT
    Its nice to see Harley thinking ahead,and not resting on their laurels.Sure there is going to be some naysayers n downside to every new idea for the motor company,yet overall I am pleased with HD for putting it out there.
    Would purchase a new scoot from them if I had the means,maybe,yet I think the new Indians are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the marketplace.Which in my opinion is a good thing for us riders!!!
    • 844 posts
    September 6, 2013 6:11 AM PDT
    Yep, I agree Harley is just putting modern technology into their bikes. I loved the old basic engines too just like my old 66 mustang compared to my new f-250 motor. I can't crawl in, pull the motor on the 250 and re-build it in a day like i could on the mustang, but bottom line is it is a much better motor.

I love the new bikes, kind of wish I would have waited a few more months to buy my new bike. Oh well guess i'll have to wear this one out before I can get the new one.
    • 1855 posts
    September 6, 2013 6:50 AM PDT
    FWIW, on the water cooled Ultra you can't take the lowers off. So, no matter how hot it gets when riding you're stuck with what little cooling affect those leg fans may have; which is next to nothing.
    • 1 posts
    September 7, 2013 2:55 AM PDT
    Went and checked at dealers: Water cooled is on Ultras and trikes only. New engine design, well being the owner of two of Harleys new and improved first year engines I will wait for others to work out bugs on this one. The big thing is the air breather, much bigger and it was needed IMHO. The stero, hell I plug in my I pod and roll for 18 days with out hearing same song twice so I really do not care. Blue tooth and all that: I try to leave cell phone in saddle bag so work can not find me...EWG... Also on the water cooled look closely at where those lower leg vents direct the air flow... Right at the engine and then your legs. Seems some one needs to move this around. Also the vent in the fairing: Not water tight! I am known as the rain goddess, yep any trip taking with me and you are going to get wet. Just dont see why I would want a vent that in rain is going to vent more water in my face. I do love the way the changed the gear ratio with a over lap, but still going to wait for some one else to work out what bugs I have seen and I am sure will be more when people start ridin these bikes and putting them to their paces...
    • 2 posts
    September 8, 2013 10:25 AM PDT
     You want new, here is new  - Indian will never conjure up the same memories again

Confirming that Harley-Davidson would soon debut a 500cc class motorcycle for the Indian market, Harley-Davidson Motor Company Chief Operating Officer Matthew Levatich revealed last weekend that the Milwaukee-based company had a 500cc model in an advanced stage of development.

Hinting strongly that the machine would be built in India, and be aimed specifically at that market, Levatich also hedged his bets on the possibility of the model arriving on US soil.

Taking into account the expected reaction from loyal “Made in America” Harley-Davidson fans, Levatich and the rest of the company’s Board of Directors are surely pitching different variations of the “Designed in America” tagline that companies like Apple have used to denote American design while using low-cost labor in China or elsewhere.

Marketing issues aside, the machine is quoted to be very Harley in its design and function. According to Levatich, the 500cc Harley-Davidson sits low to the ground, is lightweight, and has a good throttle response and braking feel. Insert a “that’s not a Harley” joke here.

Reading between the lines of the Levatich’s comments though, a true 2014 launch window may be a tough goal, but the important news here is that Harley-Davidson is realizing that if it wants to play in markets outside of North America and Europe, it needs to bring out smaller displacement machines — after all, in India, China, and South America, 500cc is considered huge.

With the market opportunities available abroad, one could forgive Harley-Davidson for choosing to side-step the marketing and branding issues it would have by bringing a “Made in India” machine to the US market; however, a 500cc motorcycle could do wonders for the company’s ability to get new, young, and possibly female riders on a Harley-Davidson.

As if all this news wasn’t enough already, Levatich left the door open to a future where Harley-Davidson produces an electric motorcycle (something again that we reported on two years ago).

“I am sometimes asked whether there will be an electric Harley. People would say, hell no. But why not? Our engineers are quite intrigued with the idea of what an electric Harley would look like, sound like and feel like. And would it be visceral, would it be emotional, would it be luscious. There’s a way to do that, I believe. And it would be very exciting.”

• 5419 posts
    September 8, 2013 12:24 PM PDT
    Well since the demo truck was at the local dealer I went down an test rode the new 2014 Ultra today. I really couldn't tell any difference in performance, but you are limited as to what you can do in a group demo ride. Other then the new dual cool system, the two things that stood out the most to me were the lighting - headlights and tail lights and the one handed operation saddle bags. I have been telling Laura for a few years are next bike will be an Ultra, but not quite ready to give up the ol' Road King this year. Besides, like Bitchy said, we'll give them a year to work out any bugs in the new design.
    • 1 posts
    September 9, 2013 2:19 AM PDT
    Oh thanks lucky for pointing out the new latches I forgot that and it was a big thumps up in my book.... Some thing they have needed to do for ever and I for one was impressed with them. Now to set back and wait till every thing else is worked out...; D
    • 5419 posts
    September 9, 2013 3:08 AM PDT
    I can't believe it took them all those years to come up with a practical latch for the saddle bags!!!
    • 846 posts
    September 9, 2013 5:13 AM PDT
    Well they have had the pucks on the police models which are just a quick turn. Don't know if I could go with the old setup after having the pucks. The only drawback is the little hinges on the outside.
    • 57 posts
    September 9, 2013 10:14 PM PDT
    2012 Heritage Softail Classic 4sale LoL
  • September 10, 2013 1:05 AM PDT
    Well Lucky? I truly believe Harley has many changes on the drawing board but until now they had really no one pushing them to make the changes. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality". Now, due to Indian and Victory, their listening to the riders of all bikes and hearing what they need to do to make a comfortable and efficient motorcycle, not that it may be any better. Like someone said earlier, they make em' cheaper but put more dollars to the end result...