The New Indian Motorcycles

• August 5, 2013 12:49 AM PDT
    Well, Over the weekend, They unveiled the new Indians at Sturgis. You can see them at www.indianmotorcycles.com and check them out. I personal think this is a great time in our lives, where we can experience some good ol' competition between two iconic motorcycle names. From what I have seen and read, Polaris has made a home run on bringing back the Indians. They look great and now are  priced to go up against the Harley's. Back in the day, in my area there was always a rivalry between Harley and Indian. Even though everybody had their reasons for liking one brand over the other, the guys would get together after a days riding and discuss their rides. I can only hope we get to enjoy some of this rederick as in the past as well as in the future.  Welcome Back Indian...
    • 5417 posts
    August 5, 2013 4:16 AM PDT
    The Chief Vintage has that great classic Indian look.  The Indian Chieftain looks like a combination Indian and Victory - as we kind of expected to see at least one like that. Kind of modern looking for an Indian Motorcycle.  Not that it is bad looking and I am sure it will have a market.

I really like the fact that they are keeping the price right around $20k, more in line with other touring model motorcycles.

• 846 posts
    August 5, 2013 6:16 AM PDT
    I’m a little disappointed in the body styling. The motor I give them a lot of credit for the work that went into it and the look. The price range was in the right ball park. I was maybe expecting something a little more. But on the Chief the mid-section looks like after thought with the wheel covers there just too much panel work there. Either take the wheel covers off on the rear to give a more open feel or rework the mid covers. The Chief Vintage looks a little better with the saddle bags (not a big fringe guy). On the Chieftain it does look like they just took components from Victory. What is it with Victory and now Indian on their bat fairings? I still would like to get my hands on one to test ride and will save the final comment till that time.

Just my unsolicited opinion.
    • 1 posts
    August 5, 2013 10:05 AM PDT
    Althought I am a big fan of the old Indians, I mean who is not they was a great bike. I am really kind of likeing what they did with some of these new ones. Although they have way to much chrome for me... (Not a big fan of chrome) I am still more concerned on the dealer network. Now don't get me wrong, I want Indian to make a go of it. But this is one problem that help put them down the first time around still is not being fully adressed. Maybe now that all the legal stuff is behind them and they are finally putting some thing out there that is comparable to the others and in the same price range maybe they will get the dealer network going strong. Hope so any way I wish them luck!
    • 5417 posts
    August 5, 2013 10:44 AM PDT
    I guess I just assumed they would be using the Victory dealer network for the new Indians, but it seams that only a few of the Victory dealers are becoming Indian dealers so far. Just seams to make a lot more sense to use an existiing network to make sure they don't have problems of a limited network. Lets see how many more Victory dealers become Indian delaers now that the new bikes are out.
  • August 6, 2013 12:39 AM PDT
    I agree with you Lucky! They need to get a network of dealerships country wide asap, if their gonna have any chance of being successful. You have to have support....
    • 3006 posts
    August 6, 2013 10:14 AM PDT
    Went & looked at the web site, and I was impressed with the new Indians.Kudo's to Polaris for reviving the brand!!!

However when I went to look for a dealership,I was met with nothing?? wtf?? maybe its my computer yet the dealership page wasnt working.when I did a search lo & behold the same link pops up first in my search for local Indian dealerships.
    Someone else may have better luck then I did in trying to find one.

Just curious also what sort of hp the new Indian has?? I was thinking somewhere in the 85 + range?
    • 544 posts
    August 7, 2013 5:17 AM PDT
    I wish Indian good luck in growing their market. A little comnpetition is a healthy thing.
    • 846 posts
    August 7, 2013 5:25 AM PDT
    Well I checked also and for all of New England (Six states) there is only one Indian dealer listed.The same check for Victory dealer gave me 6 for New England and not the same as the one Indian dealer. So it look like they may need to work on that (dealer channel) next.
  • August 7, 2013 6:53 AM PDT
    It's been a few say since the reveal and now new reporters are chiming in. The one piece of info I did see was that Polaris hopes to have a min of 130 to 140 dealers through out the USA by the end of this year. They are saying that since the reveal that this will put interest into those who woulb be interested in becoming a dealer. Now that they see how Polaris is committed to the brand. We will see...
    • 1855 posts
    August 7, 2013 7:12 AM PDT
    Recently restored by a friend in Alabama.
    • 3006 posts
    August 7, 2013 7:36 AM PDT
    Chaz wrote...
    Well I checked also and for all of New England (Six states) there is only one Indian dealer listed.The same check for Victory dealer gave me 6 for New England and not the same as the one Indian dealer. So it look like they may need to work on that (dealer channel) next.

thanks chaz,
    i re-checked under victory dealerships in california,total 25 on list,one of which was a Indian dealership down in Corona in So.Calif.
    So yeah for a state the size of California thats a very poor showing.
    The San Francisco bay area alone would certainly be large enough to deserve its own dealership.As well as the area your from thats a poor show of support in my mind.Lets hope it improves dramatically!!!

• August 7, 2013 8:34 AM PDT
    They do not want touse Victory dealerships and want the new dealerships to be mainly Indian. Tough one.
    • 834 posts
    August 8, 2013 3:52 PM PDT
    I kind of like them myself. But I haven't seen one in person and things always look a little different in pictures.
    • 1855 posts
    August 9, 2013 9:15 AM PDT
    At the end of the Trail of Tears run that leaves out of Chattanooga there will be a huge selection of Indian motorcycles; past and present.

peace
    • 3006 posts
    August 11, 2013 8:58 AM PDT
    It will be interesting to see what next month holds for people who are ready to plunk down the
    money for one of these beautiful ladies,according to news releases,an extensive network of dealers
    should be online w/program selling in september.
    I would love to get one of the first 1901 to have the commerative designations on them.
    Those could already well be considered a collector item.
    • 2 posts
    August 11, 2013 11:15 AM PDT
    A honkin' big, push rod V-Twin, how original.

Wish them every luck in the world and suspect that with Polaris in back of them they will be a success but come on, give us something to argue about.
    An inline (4) or the Scout redux
  • August 11, 2013 3:07 PM PDT
    I really liked the look of the new motor and of course their front fenders have always been my favorite. The Chief Vintage would be my choice if I was in the market for a new Indian bike. The seat is very comfortable and looks like it would only get better with time.
  • August 13, 2013 6:15 PM PDT
    AzRider wrote...
    I kind of like them myself. But I haven't seen one in person and things always look a little different in pictures.

At the Sturgis "Legends Ride" I was right behind four of them riding in a group.  They looked good on the road and in action....I think.  They all had hard luggage and that of course hurt their looks.  I thought they were 'extra' desireable because of their iconic and vintage looks so it seems [to me] that the looks were spoiled by the hard bags even though the same stuff doesn't hurt an Evo quite so much. Felt kinda honored to be able to ride with four in one spot. 

• 5417 posts
    August 14, 2013 2:39 AM PDT
    Was going to go to the dealer and check them out, but the closest Indian dealers I have to me here in Southern California are Las Vegas or Fresno... both more than 4 hours away. Maybe they don't need a dealer here... not like there is a big motorcycle market in So Cal.
  • August 14, 2013 3:11 AM PDT
    I was really surprised to see the MSRP listed below $30 Grand. Almost affordable to the everyday biker.
    • 1 posts
    August 14, 2013 11:53 AM PDT
    I like 'em. No they ain't the Indians of old, but remember they are 2014s. You can only make 50s style bikes for so long. They did a good job of keeping enough of the old flavor so you can immediately tell they are Indians
  • August 28, 2013 5:01 AM PDT
    I like the new Indians. Wish them well.
    • 844 posts
    September 26, 2013 2:47 AM PDT
    Finally saw one on the street a couple weeks back. They are nice looking.
  • September 26, 2013 9:39 AM PDT
    After owning a 2001 Scout. You would have a hard time selling me a new one. Yeah they look great and the styling is there, but who you gonna call when you break down, and my old Indian was chrome nightmare, it just kept rusting you couldn't stop it. The quality is not on par with anything out there that I can see so far and nobody has any time on them yet. So any reviews would make them look like they are the best bike to ever get sent off a line.
    I'll wait a few years to see their true colors.