The Secrets Men Keep

• July 25, 2013 1:00 PM PDT
     Every man has secrets. A book named The Secrets Men Keep by Stephen Arterburn  not only fleshes out each of 25 secrets but gives perspective on where those secrets come frome, why they feel so important and how to respond to them. I am passing this existance along because one chapter, What We Know About Men And Their Desire For Romance And Excitement, lets me understand why I enjoy riding my old Sportster,

• July 25, 2013 9:51 PM PDT
    Does the book deal at all with the secrets that women keep? I'm thinking women like the apparent 'risk taking' and in some measure 'socially defiant' persona of a male that rides a bike or whatever. But I REALLY believe that women also view men from a strange and unaccountable viewpoint. Many [most I'm thinking] unconsciously see men primarily as hairy, rude, uncouth, poorly behaving females. I'm convinced that somehow they do tend to gravitate toward the more apparent 'challenge' type males. But, simultaneously they probably see it as their civic duty is to straighten out the situation. Just saying, based on my decades of observation. The Sportster will likely be the first thing that 'has to go' in the fully justified domestication process.
  • July 26, 2013 12:04 AM PDT
    Never....NEVER, let the Sportster go. Domestication or not.....that attachment should always remain a secret......and NEVER...reveal where the body is buried!
    • 1855 posts
    July 26, 2013 12:28 AM PDT
    A friend (a woman) once told me that there are only two things she didn't like about men: "Everything they do and everything they say". Actually it was my mother who said that to me with a little help from the end of a willow stick. LOL I must've been an exceptionally bad little boy that day.

So then, the book is for women right? I'm pretty sure men don't need to know why or what secrets they keep. And if a woman asks, "why didn't you say something?", his response is going to be, "I don't know". I'm also sure most don't want women to know why they keep a certain secret. I have a secret that I keep from all women; i.e., why I put down the toilet seat, specifically the seat AND the lid. I mean, every man knows why a woman complains about the toilet seat up; it's quite a shocker in the middle of the night. But so is rushing to sit down on a "closed" toilet. LOL They can't complain that I didn't put down the seat and I also enact a bit of revenge for all those years, beginning with my mother and sisters, of nagging me about the damn toilet seat.

Secrets are a part of everyone's character. In fact, secrets are character builders. Just as secrets can create tension they can also relieve the threat of conflict. Secrets can also enforce integrity; doing the right thing for a reason known only by you.

Wow, this thread could go on and on and on. Perhaps you've started a bit of a confessional here.

Peace
  • July 26, 2013 3:45 AM PDT
    The secrets I keep in my head are usually just silly ideas I have about something or the fact that I realized I'm ******* up and need to think of something fast so that the folks around me are not bewildered by my thought processes. I have to admit that I enjoy being a simple man who likes the cards that life have dealt me.
    • 544 posts
    July 26, 2013 5:14 AM PDT
    A woman and a steady job have ruined many a good biker!
  • July 26, 2013 9:26 AM PDT
    midlifecrises wrote...

A few yewrs ago a friend got married.  He had [past tense] a nice 4WD Dodge truck.  Also a boat and fishing and hunting gear like nice rifles and etc.  Owned a mid 70s Vette; nothing special but a nice car.  When my 'significant other ' and I were leaving the reception I opined that he was going to lose a few toys in the near future.  She said "Oh, what do you mean?" in an innocent voice.  As if she did not have a clue as to what I was alluding to.  I did get some nice guns for not too much money.  Already had a Vette and didn't want the boat.  Within a year he was driving a METRO back and forth to work!!! 

• 544 posts
    July 26, 2013 9:34 AM PDT
    Flatsalt wrote...
    midlifecrises wrote...

A few yewrs ago a friend got married.  He had [past tense] a nice 4WD Dodge truck.  Also a boat and fishing and hunting gear like nice rifles and etc.  Owned a mid 70s Vette; nothing special but a nice car.  When my 'significant other ' and I were leaving the reception I opined that he was going to lose a few toys in the near future.  She said "Oh, what do you mean?" in an innocent voice.  As if she did not have a clue as to what I was alluding to.  I did get some nice guns for not too much money.  Already had a Vette and didn't want the boat.  Within a year he was driving a METRO back and forth to work!!! 

Yeah, it's funny when it happens to someone else.
  • July 26, 2013 8:05 PM PDT
    No. I think you missed it. The results of him 'Super Whipped" was not funny. Certainly not to me; he is a friend I care for. Funny was the response, by the woman that went to the affair with me, to my statement about the for-sure fact that he will be losing some toys. Her total look and voice tone that sorta said "What ever are you talking about?".
  • Buz
    July 27, 2013 5:48 AM PDT
    Yeah it's sad, that he allowed that to happen, ya gotta man up
    (Says the divorced guy!) lol
  • July 27, 2013 6:08 PM PDT
    You want funny? Thirty two years ago my wife left me for another woman. Well, there was a period of time that I did not think it was funny.
    • 314 posts
    July 28, 2013 3:22 AM PDT
    I would say bitter
  • July 28, 2013 12:15 PM PDT
    Flatsalt wrote...
    You want funny? Thirty two years ago my wife left me for another woman. Well, there was a period of time that I did not think it was funny.

Lord!  In this post I forgot to mention that I'm a male [straight].  Should'nt have taken it for granted that would be preceeved. 

• July 28, 2013 3:39 PM PDT
    I heard a woman say, "A man is easy to understand and make happy. Just give him food, sex, sleep, and fun toys and he's good for life."
    • 3006 posts
    July 28, 2013 5:29 PM PDT
    I find it amusing a guy writes a book about male secrets for a female audience,and to actually think a woman is going to follow instructions on how to respond properly lol