Tom Tom Rider - Motorcycle GPS

• 5417 posts
    July 16, 2013 2:21 AM PDT
    Please welcome our newest advertiser here on CycleFish  - Tom Tom.

Tom Tom has just released their newest made for motorcycles navigation system.  From what I have read it looks like it has soem really great features.  I will be testing and reveiwing this product shorty, in the meantime you can learn more about it at ...

TomTom Rider - Motorcycle GPS System

• 544 posts
    July 16, 2013 2:31 AM PDT
    Looks like a cool product.
    • 834 posts
    July 16, 2013 2:45 AM PDT
    from the video on their site it does look cool
  • July 17, 2013 2:19 AM PDT
    Lucky: I appreciate your posting this. I have been in the market for a new GPS for my wing. I have been using my old Tom (car version) but at you can imagine it lacks some of the things a biker needs. (big, big icons, better contrast for viewing outdoors and did I mention the water problem?)
    I will try to find a local dealer around somewhere and check it out. In the meantime I will hop to their site and do some reading myself. If a TT rep reads this maybe they can suggest a dealer near the Starkville, Mississippi area.
    I already have a Ram mount that I am hoping can be adapted to hold this new TT.
    My auto version of the TT has been a favorite of mine.
    • 5417 posts
    July 17, 2013 4:26 AM PDT
    Sorry I had the incorrect link the first time.  Here is the product info...

TomTom Rider - Motorcycle GPS System
    • 5417 posts
    July 24, 2013 3:33 AM PDT
    Just got my TomTom Rider and have been playing with it a bit, but it will be another week before I can take it on the road for a test ride. I have been playing with it a bit and really like what I see so far... especially the Winding Roads feature!!!
    • 567 posts
    July 24, 2013 12:26 PM PDT
    Dang. I wish I'd known about the new Tom Tom BEFORE I went out and bought a Garmin. Well, I kinda wish I'd known about the Garmin a little more before I bought it. But you just never know what a product is really like until you get it home; get it outta box; and put it to real world use.
    The Garmin does exactly what its supposed to when you plug in an address and head out towards it. What I hate about the Garmin is the software for your home computer. Their software called Base Camp is much too tough to deal with and set up "routes" on. I ended up having to call tech support because the tutorial did NOT go along with how you actually have to do to set up routes. Even the tech support person had to find assistance to work thru setting up a route. Plus, since I couldn't take notes as the tech person walked me thru setting a route, I'm at a loss to recreate it.
    The Garmin I got is NOT the motorcycle version. At 700 bucks, its way out of my price range when you can get the automobile version for $125. So, I guess my own cheapskate attitude has actually shot me in the foot. I think the Tom Tom at $400 is a little stiff but knowing what I know now, I'd definitely consider getting one that's actually motorcycle intended ... and hopefully very motorcycle friendly.
  • July 24, 2013 1:23 PM PDT
    Come on people I ride to get lost. I always have an excuse for being late. "Sorry honey I was lost"
    • 5417 posts
    July 24, 2013 1:45 PM PDT
    Bill, Yeah, I think you would like the TomTom much more from what I have seen with it so far. The software that came with it is Tyre (http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/) and I believe the Free Light version does work with Garmin. It is really easy to use and even interfaces with google earth for more detail.

The thing about the TomTom Rider motorcycle navigator vs a car version is first of all it is weatherproof and second the touch screen has really big buttons that work with heavy gloves on. It also has a way to share points of interest and routes with and from other riders via there website - but I haven't tried that yet.
  • August 26, 2013 6:31 AM PDT
    I love TomToms. I still have one I bought years ago, it's super durable.
  • August 26, 2013 9:58 AM PDT
    I have not purchased a new TT yet. I must agree with the durable. On my recent trip my TT hopped out of the mount I was using, dangled on the power cable and then took a skid down the interstate. I managed to get the bike stopped. I took a long walk back up the interstate, picked up the TT, put it back in the holder and went on down the road. Yes it still works. Skinned, scared and bruised a bit but still works as good as always. You can rest assured I will treat my new one better that that.
    • 1855 posts
    August 26, 2013 3:18 PM PDT
    meaninAZ wrote...
    Come on people I ride to get lost. I always have an excuse for being late. "Sorry honey I was lost"

Honestly, I don't get it either.  But hey, that's just me.  I suppose there's a reason to have a GPS but I haven't discovered one and I've ridden in some pretty darn remote places.  I don't recall ever NOT knowing where I was going or where I was.  Lost?  I average 20K miles from May to October every year.  If I didn't have to do spring stuff around the homestead I'd leave earlier in the year. But like AZ, lost doesn't really matter.  O.K., I confess, I have run out of fuel a couple of times but it always worked out.  It does seem like a cool gadget though and I hope it works for those who like gadgets.

Peace

• 844 posts
    August 26, 2013 7:49 PM PDT
    I think it is more of a convenience than a need. I rode my entire life without a GPS, but now that I have one I use it all the time. Sure I always found my way home and some cool roads, but now I have found a lot of roads I have been missing even in areas I have been riding forever.
    • 5417 posts
    August 27, 2013 3:38 AM PDT
    Yep, a convenience I never needed until I got one. Like most I've ridden for years without one, but now that I have it I love it. Like GoFur said I never got so lost I couldn't get where i was going, but to be able to see all the road choice at a glance and plan the day is nice. It is also nice not to settle for a two day old sandwich at gas station when you are real hungry and then pass a great place to eat 5 minutes afterword.

To me its like every other piece of technology we never needed. I remember saying... "what's the damn rush to eat" when microwaves first came out..."why would anyone need a mobile phone? I don't need to talk to anyone on the phone when I'm not home"... "I'll never get cable TV, three channels is fine for me"... AND "why would I ever need a computer in my HOUSE"...

Like all of these other devices, you don't have to use Navigation all the time, but it is nice to have the technology when you want it.
    • 277 posts
    August 27, 2013 4:03 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Yep, a convenience I never needed until I got one. Like most I've ridden for years without one, but now that I have it I love it. Like GoFur said I never got so lost I couldn't get where i was going, but to be able to see all the road choice at a glance and plan the day is nice. It is also nice not to settle for a two day old sandwich at gas station when you are real hungry and then pass a great place to eat 5 minutes afterword.

To me its like every other piece of technology we never needed. I remember saying... "what's the damn rush to eat" when microwaves first came out..."why would anyone need a mobile phone? I don't need to talk to anyone on the phone when I'm not home"... "I'll never get cable TV, three channels is fine for me"... AND "why would I ever need a computer in my HOUSE"...

Like all of these other devices, you don't have to use Navigation all the time, but it is nice to have the technology when you want it.

Except when we are in the CAR looking for a place to eat in San Diego!  (Love you )

• August 28, 2013 11:36 AM PDT
    Sounds like something I need to ask for this Christmas. Waiting to see Lucky's review!
    • 5417 posts
    September 18, 2013 3:54 AM PDT
    Just posted the review, see it here... TomTom Rider Review
    • 1 posts
    September 18, 2013 6:35 AM PDT
    I never thought I would ever use a GPS or navigation on my bike. But after I moved down here to my new place and was doing some mobile bike repair I got one for the truck. When I saw all the cool roads I was missing on the bike I decided to get the bike mount. The only thing is it is not made for the bike so a lot of the features Lucky talked about in his write up are not there. Think I am going to sell this one on ebay and get the Tomtom.

Can it be mounted in the truck too?
    • 5417 posts
    September 19, 2013 4:23 AM PDT
    Bailout, Yes you can get a second mount for your truck. It just clips on and of the mount.
    • 44 posts
    September 19, 2013 4:56 AM PDT
    You know the funny thing about some GPS systems when you know a short cut they aways tell you yo turn around when possible LoL and another thing them damn truckers been using GPS for along time still end up on the Tail of the Dragon US 129 because it looks like a short cut but thanks Lucky for the review sound like Christmas gift to me from me
    • 5417 posts
    September 19, 2013 9:01 AM PDT
    Cool thing about the TomTom is when you do turn off the planned route it will first try to take you back to the route, but if you continue a 1/4 mile or so it will just re-route using the road you are on.

Plus when you first set up the route you can change any section really easy to include roads you want to take.
    • 844 posts
    October 15, 2013 11:12 AM PDT
    Hey Lucky. When you plan a route to a certain destination, can you tell it to use different roads then it picked before you start off?
    • 5417 posts
    October 15, 2013 12:18 PM PDT
    You can GoFur, but it is a little tricky doing it on the unit. You can set your destination and then select Way Points on the roads you want to take and it will re-route via those selected Way Points.

It is much easier to set up a route like that on the computer and then download it to the unit. Using the software in combo with google earth yo can just point and click to raods you want to take.