loud pipes

• 57 posts
    June 14, 2013 3:16 AM PDT
     I bought my first bike last year 2012 FLSTC and wasnt very happy with the way it ran,a friend recomended a local tech and after talking wih the guy decided to go with his recomended changes, they installed a Dyno Jet P/C V and Ness Big Sucker  Vance-Hines Big Shot staggered and SS cam, Well the bike runs Great now but OMG is this sucker  LOUD. has anyone tried any of the Q- Baffles
    • 10 posts
    July 16, 2013 11:36 PM PDT
    I have straight pipes and no windshield.

Above 55 mph and long distance rides, I wear molded ear plugs. It also helps when the wind is beating you up. You can hear and "feel" your bike much better.
    • 1855 posts
    July 17, 2013 1:24 AM PDT
    I have and they make very little difference, negligible at best. I also have VH staggered on my 2012 Heritage. I replaced the baffles with what they call the "road" baffles and honestly it was a waste of money. Just enjoy your bike.

Peace
    • 1364 posts
    July 17, 2013 5:56 AM PDT
    My bike isn't loud, Ask anyone that's heard it. 4th gear 5000 rpm's 126 db............................
    • 57 posts
    July 17, 2013 11:53 AM PDT
    Thanks for the replies guys, the wife says I say Huh and What way to much,I don't think it has anything to do with the pipes though,personally I think when I twist on the 100 plus hp they sound great but I told her I would ask your advice,well looks like they're here to stay.LoL
  • November 26, 2013 9:35 AM PST
    I run a 2 into 1 megaphone with no baffles. I like loud
    • 1161 posts
    November 30, 2013 6:48 AM PST
    Mine is a 400, but it has sportster mufflers but baffles are removed. It has the high pitch sound but it has saved me numerous times! Will not go back to quiet pipes!
  • December 1, 2013 2:10 AM PST
    You're right sneakers. The first time I found out loud pipes was with my CB350. I was running off the road almost every day took off the baffles and wow! Why do you think they have sirens on emergency vehicles?
  • December 1, 2013 3:45 AM PST
    Absolutely loud pipes have saved my but many times, they also work great for deer on the road.
  • December 5, 2013 10:52 PM PST
    If a harley is too loud....your sense of fun is fading....
  • December 5, 2013 10:53 PM PST
    Light 'em Up!!!
  • December 8, 2013 10:33 PM PST

• January 22, 2014 9:32 AM PST
    No such thing as being "too loud" -- Loud Pipes Save Lives ! Besides that, I love being obnoxious on the road !
  • January 22, 2014 11:12 AM PST
    d and d boss fatcat 2 into 1 on my 2011 ujira limited,tunner and stage one intake ...like a different bike from stock...lov it,neihbors not so much at 3am going to work...
    • 5417 posts
    January 22, 2014 11:47 AM PST
    I love my SuperTraps. They give me that deep throaty rumble that I like!
  • January 25, 2014 12:13 AM PST
    I was looking to install a set of true-duals and would have liked a set of Rinehart duals on my Softail but they weren't available ( haven't checked lately ). At the time, the only pipes that I found that had an O2 sensor bung for my ThunderMax auto tune was V&H and Bassani. In the end, the look of the Bassani pipes suited me more than the V&H which is what is installed in the pic. LOUD and in STEREO !
    • 57 posts
    January 25, 2014 3:16 AM PST
    The Baffles that came installed in V-H staggered Big Shots produced a real sharp popping noise at 40 mph and up,switched out baffles with V-H Quiet, didn't really change the decibels but changed the tone completely to a lower rumble,
  • June 7, 2016 2:37 PM PDT

i run Big Growl on my S&S113, I put 3" baffles in them cause I live in a 55+ neighborhood and the top end on the engine makes so much racket that I took the baffles back out. lol

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/exhaust.html

• 1 posts
    June 29, 2016 10:41 AM PDT

If you search online for Cat Ears Cycle products, you'll find a fur-like attachment that velcro-attaches to the strap in front of your ear on half helmets. It was originally designed for bicyclists, but I thought I'd try them. They do a wonderful job of cutting down wind noise. I can even get by withou wearing earplugs, can hear approaching cars, how well my bike is doing, and not have to worry about high frequency hearing loss. 

• 3006 posts
    July 1, 2016 1:23 PM PDT

Loud pipes are helpful,yet I would like to think the riders who have them realize their limitations.That old lady/old man usually can't hear much,even less with interior noise in the cage & windows rolled up.

I went thru a period riding with loud pipes V&H Cruzers & put the quiet baffles in,which helped a bit.My current ride has the stock pipes with some homemade enhancement to improve the overall sound.At idle I can easily talk over the motor,yet a hard twist will wake up the pipes & draw some attention.

stay safe & enjoy the ride

• 19007 posts
    July 2, 2016 7:05 AM PDT

Agree Blurplebuzz, Rex's pipe are modest at idle and cruising, but he does speak with authority  when I open the throttle!

• April 5, 2017 5:19 AM PDT

Back when I had the Dragon Bike with up-sweep fish tails I installed a set of "Thunder Monsters" which are very short baffles that are  installed exactly 6 inches from the end of the pipe. Not only did they sound better, they made that Mouse Motor come alive.

Check em out

Night Dragon

• April 5, 2017 5:25 AM PDT

Here is what the Thunder Monster Baffle looks like that I used.......

• 1161 posts
    April 12, 2017 1:44 AM PDT

When I rode the 400 I took the sportster muflers off and welded on strait pipes out past the rear wheel.  

Now with my VTX 1300 it has Cobra strait pipes on it.  Love them loud they have both saved my butt.

This post was edited by Seakers at April 12, 2017 1:45 AM PDT
  • April 23, 2017 6:25 AM PDT

I put the V&H true duals with oval pipes on my 2010 Ultra. My wife said after 100 miles she was deaf and couldn't holler any more. I was kinda pleased with the sound after a hundred miles or so. Anyway, I ordered the quiet baffles and put them in. Mellowed out the sound a little while just cruising, but still talked pretty good when romping on it. Also gave the engine a little more back pressure and could really tell the difference in throttle response.