Lucky and Laura Crash Details

• 5419 posts
    June 13, 2013 2:52 PM PDT
    We really want to thank everyone for the kind words, prayers and thoughts.   I know lots of people have been asking exactly what happened, and to be honest I am not 100% sure.  We were exiting the highway and I was slowing down for the upcoming 30 mph curve ahead.  Just as I was getting to 35 mph or so I felt the handle bars jerk sharply - I either hit a rock or debris or a small pot hole.  The front end when into a wobble and I knew we were going down so I yelled to Laura and pointed the bike the best I could toward a clear crash area.  The bike went down to the right side HARD and Laura thinks she rolled one or two times before coming to a spot.  I slid on my right side for around 20 feet or so watching the asphalt go by two inches from my eye.  A 3" round 1/4" deep gouge in my helmet the could have been my head!  The bike slid another 20 feet past me.

At first the adrenaline took over and I didn't even know I was hurt.  I ran to Laura and saw hear ankle at a 90° angle (sideways) and knew my sweetie was hurt bad.  After they finally got her in the ambulance, I had time to realize how much pain I was in and asked them to transport me too.  We got to the hospital in Merced and they said they were gonna fly me to a trama center in Modesto because they thought I had damaged a lung.  I told them I was only going if Laura went too otherwise I was staying with her.  They agreed to transport her by ambulance.  That was my first time in a helicopter, but I really didn't have time to enjoy the scenery :-(

Bottom line was Me with a broken scapula (shoulder blade), six broken ribs and a slight ankle break.  Laura broken scapula and a severely fractured ankle that needed emergency reconstructive surgery.  We are both up and hobbling around pretty well but won't be back on the bike for 6 to 12 weeks - depending on who you listen to - me or the Doc :-)

As anyone who knows us knows, Laura and I will make the best out f any situation.  Once we found out we were out of danger and Laura's ortho surgery was done, we actually had fun in our shared hospital room., I know the nursing staff is going to miss us and our clowning around!  I must say we are going to miss them, the staff there at Memorial Hospital in Modesto was outstanding.  They took the greatest care of us.

We got out on Tuesday night and went to spent the night with DebraJo and Richard who were only 30 minutes from the hospital.  I also got to see my bike since they were kind enough to get it from the tow yard on Monday to save me storage fees.  Believe it or not the bike slide over 40 feet on the engine guards and that is the only damage anywhere on the bike - the engine guards and highway pegs.  Not a scratch on the paint anywhere!!!

Like I said we are planning on being back on the bike laterr this summer, but will have to cancel the next few events we were planning on attending.  Richard and DebroJo will be riding my bike to the Holister Rally, so look for the CF banners in the campground!

My poor Sweetie (Laura Schaefer) all banged up.
  • June 13, 2013 4:07 PM PDT
    Holy Jeepers Ya'll WoW,,,I'm glad your going to be ok...I've been down hard once n was in a coma for 8 hrs Whew I know the feeling...what troupers u two are...Jesus n the biker gods were looking over u however being a BIKER you had a plan of action by laying the bike down in an area away from the pavement n you fought all the way...I stand n stand n salute you Lucky for being the Strong biker you are n fighting all the way....
    Ur Friend Randy...Ice Bear...
    • 16795 posts
    June 13, 2013 4:52 PM PDT
    Thank God you two are in one piece, and have all your parts.
  • June 13, 2013 5:22 PM PDT
    Glad it wasn't any worse than it was. Heal up and praying that's your last mishap.
  • June 13, 2013 8:31 PM PDT
    Feel bad for you and your Lady,Lucky. I'm just glad that you pulled off the save from a worse situation.
    • 19007 posts
    June 13, 2013 11:46 PM PDT
    I am VERY happy your are both on the mend and that although painful for y'all the injuries were less than possible. Heal Quick and hope to see you out there sooner rather than later.
  • June 14, 2013 12:22 AM PDT
    Hope you two heel up fast. I know it's hard to do sometimes; but try and listen to the doc.
    • 1 posts
    June 14, 2013 12:42 AM PDT
    Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.
  • June 14, 2013 3:30 AM PDT
    So you guys are going to be caging it to Hollister than I gather.......you can swing by and load all our shit up....LOL

Get well soon guys, let us know when you are up for it and we'll ride out for a beer over at Cooks or something!

Russ & Cindy

P.S.  Hey, do you think that maybe your trailer was trying to pass you when you were breaking for that turn?
    • 5419 posts
    June 14, 2013 6:14 AM PDT
    Well Russ the problem is we both have broken right ankles, so even driving is tough. I have a neighbor and great friend who is not a rider but has always wanted to check out one of these biker events we go to. He offered to be our driver to Hollister so we will have to see. DebraJo and Richard will be riding the CF bike and trailer to Hollister since it is still at their house!

As for the trailer contributing to my accident, I cannot say for sure. I know it did not start it because I definitely felt a jolt on the handle bars like the front wheel hit a rock or pot hole... but whether or not I could have saved it if not pulling the trailer... I will never know.
    • 3006 posts
    June 14, 2013 6:52 AM PDT
    Keeping the two of you in my prayers tonite!!! Heal up good,Thats what is most important right now!!
    The bike survived intact,which is always a big plus!!!
    Glad to hear that your gonna try n make Hollister,yet dont push it,riding in cars w/injurys still healing can really suk.
    The first rounds are on me !!!
    • 44 posts
    June 14, 2013 8:07 AM PDT
    WoW how bad that could have been glad to hear you both are home and in good spirits our prayers are with you both and I see you back in the saddel soon pain killers go a long way LOL enjoy the rest and get well soon thanks for all you do!!!
  • June 14, 2013 8:37 AM PDT
    Very happy to hear you two are alright. Me and the boys wish you both a speedy recovery. Thanks for another great RWR.
  • June 14, 2013 10:34 AM PDT
    Well most importaint Ron is tht the two of you can still get upright and take a breath on your own. Be great if you make it to Hollister but no need to push it, rumor has it the'll be another bike rally sometime down the road. Keep us posted and we'll get down for a beer soon.

Russ & Cindy
    • 846 posts
    June 14, 2013 12:21 PM PDT
    Sorry to hear of your incident and glad to hear you are both on the mend. Take the extra time to make sure you both mend correctly. Having short changed the mending times on a few injuries i'm paying the price. I think you'll also find a few more with the same recommendations right here on Cyclefish.
    Overall glad to hear you're both ok (relative term) and on the mend. You're both in my thoughts.

Take care
  • June 14, 2013 1:30 PM PDT
    Lucky: I am so glad the both of you are back home. We will be praying for you both.
    If there is anything we can do to help please let us know. We are all here for you.

I had a dear friend go down over the Memorial Day weekend. He went down coming back from the rally down on the coast. He is in intensive care still.
    • 1 posts
    June 14, 2013 3:20 PM PDT
    Some one once told me any crash you live through is a good one... Don't know if I fully believe that. I think any crash sucks!!! Healing vibes to you two.

• June 15, 2013 8:13 AM PDT
    Seriously glad to hear you are both okay and it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
  • June 15, 2013 10:44 AM PDT
    glad you two weren't hurt worse, and hope you heal quickly
  • June 16, 2013 9:17 AM PDT
    You two are quite the "lucky" pair! Thank God! Thoughts with you both! Take it easy and heal strong! Make the most of your healing time together...like drawing straws to see who gets to hobble for the Pain killers this time! LOL (just some humor to help you heal)... LOL
  • June 16, 2013 10:22 AM PDT
    WOW! I am glad you are all together and on the mend. Will keep you and your sweeheart in our prayers for a complete, and quick recorevey.
    • 1516 posts
    June 16, 2013 4:13 PM PDT
    I am just so glad you were close so that I could take care of you and help with the bike.. Love you guys and are so thankful you are both ok.. sore but ok.. would love to see you again at Holister,., let me know if you decide to come up
    • 314 posts
    June 16, 2013 8:45 PM PDT
    Thats great they had friend like you close by, anyone would be lucky to have you there
  • June 17, 2013 12:36 AM PDT
    Mercy! I am glad to read that y'all are recovering. Plenty of positive thoughts going out to you both!
    • 2685 posts
    June 17, 2013 6:08 AM PDT
    Glad to hear you will both be ok. Sucks having an accident no matter what the cause but at least you will mend. Good luck on a speedy recovery.