Hardbags for Softail

• June 6, 2013 4:29 PM PDT
    Hey all looking for some advice, got an 05 Softail and looking to put some hard bags on her. Not quite sure what all I would need to do to do that. Off of which Harley model would be the best bags and what not, do I need to change my exhaust (Vanes and Hines shorties). Thanks for the help!
    • 1855 posts
    June 7, 2013 4:54 AM PDT
    You're wanting the hard bags to replace those that came with your heritage? I'm not so sure that you'll find any that have the same storage capacity. Harley does make a hard bound leather (lockable) set, complete with mounting hardware for about 800 bucks. But they have less storage capacity; 1800 vs 2200, If you're just wanting to be able to lock your saddle bags you can get that done for less than 200 bucks. This locking kit includes a hard plastic that fits under the lid of your leather bag to make it a bit more rigid so it doesn't lose it's shape.
    Check it out....I have the kit on my Heritage. Harley will use your current ignition key # so you don't have to have a different key to lock/unlock the bags. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/heritage-flat-top---lock-kit
    • 57 posts
    June 8, 2013 10:38 AM PDT
    just got home from a ride and a very nice young lady had the same idea, she got some used hard bags from a police bike, she said cheap, a couple trips to Ace hardware and she had them mounted no problems, was going to take pix but something is wrong with my phone Good Luck,measure twice drill once she put a piece of metal strip ton back to strengthen box
  • June 8, 2013 12:15 PM PDT
    Best idea I ever had was to put the street glide bags on a 05 softail deluxe convenient and durable! All done with the the softail hard bag conversion kit