Dream Trip . . . what's yours

• May 1, 2013 9:39 AM PDT
    I've been planning my 'Dream Trip" for a while, now, and it just occured to me . . .
    IF
    I had the 3 weeks and 5 grand, would I really go on the National Park to Park Highway?
    so here it is
    You have 3 weeks off and $5,000.00
    that works out to a little over $235.00 a day for food, gas, lodging and other "Miscellany"  ($238 actually)
    we'll assume (I know, I know) that there are no break downs or other 'emergencies'.
    You have the choice of having a rider or not but they'er included in the 5K

I think I would go On the National Park to Park Highway, with modifications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Park_to_Park_Highway /> http://theplaygroundtrail.com/Playground/Map_of_Park-to-Park.html />
    where would you go?

• 314 posts
    May 1, 2013 10:07 AM PDT
    I would love to go to Montana, Glacier Park.I think i would need 4-5 days to get there. I would not do all that you would but a few of them.
  • May 1, 2013 10:42 AM PDT
    done the AlCan Hwy.. done Seattle, to Michigan, to Key West, to Texas, and back to Seattle... done most of the National Parks at one time or another... so without repeating a great trip... guess I'd like to do the 4 corners.. Seattle to Medawaska Maine, to Key West, to San Diego, and back to Seattle, keeping off the interstate as much as possible, with a side trip to Vermont... the only state ya can reach without a bridge I aint been to yet..
    • 1855 posts
    May 1, 2013 10:58 AM PDT
    Sounds like a fine trip to me. We're leaving Ohio in June, heading west by NW; S. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Washington, Oregon. We're retired so I don't even consider time. Finances? We probably have the 5 grand you mentioned but I seriously doubt that it will cost us that much; even staying in Hotels every night as we do NOT camp anymore. Personally, as far as California goes; I won't go any further south than Redding. There ain't a damn thing in Oakland, San Fran, or LA that I need to see. We'll be heading back east across Nevada and Utah. south into Arizona, east to N. Mexico, NE to Colorado, SE thru Missouri to Arkansas, Mississippi, Natchez Highway and then back NE towards home.

FYI, from Ohio it's 3 days plus going easy to Sturgis, S. Dakota. It's over 1300 miles and while 400 miles a day isn't out of the question, why do it if ya don't have to do it. Just enjoy the journey, giving yourself time there and back without pushing it. Where you are from it should be a breeze.

Peace
    • 5417 posts
    May 1, 2013 11:19 AM PDT
    I have ridden in most of those areas, but never the entire loop as shown on that map. Sounds like a good ride to add to my list of rides I want to do

My top two things that I want to do, and WILL do on a motorcycle....

First is the Alaskan Hwy

Second is to ride around Jamaica. We got married there and saw lots of the roads in a car and tour buses and we have always wanted to go back and ride them on a bike.
    • 79 posts
    May 1, 2013 3:26 PM PDT
    U.S. RT.50 coast to coast,down to L.A. rt 66 back to st. louis rt 40 back to ohio.
    • 846 posts
    May 2, 2013 4:37 AM PDT
    The ride I've been working towards is to leave the northeast here around early July head west to Chicago, Ill and pick up the old route 66 and follow that to it's end in Ca. Then head up the coast into Oregon then east to Sturgis for some of bike week. Then back to the HD museum then off to York Pa. to see where my bike was assembled then finally home. Of course that includes stopping at national parks and tourist attractions a long the way. Figuring arould 7-8 thousand miles all together.
    • 16795 posts
    May 2, 2013 5:28 AM PDT
    Travel the lower 48 + Alaska in one trip.
  • May 2, 2013 11:20 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    I have ridden in most of those areas, but never the entire loop as shown on that map. Sounds like a good ride to add to my list of rides I want to do

My top two things that I want to do, and WILL do on a motorcycle....

First is the Alaskan Hwy

Second is to ride around Jamaica. We got married there and saw lots of the roads in a car and tour buses and we have always wanted to go back and ride them on a bike.

the Alaskan Hwy (AlCan) is a great trip.. best time is late July or August... otherwise ya might/could get snow... and fyi.. do it with a support vechile, My wife followed me with the car and a trailer just in case, there are places where it's 150 miles to the next gas or town of any kind... and very few places to get stuff fixed if it breaks... we actually had no problems other then gas twice... good thing we had 2 five gallon cans of gas on the trailer, one for the bike and one for the car... one more note.. premium gas does not exist after about 100 miles north in Canada... so take along plenty of octane booster..

• May 2, 2013 11:20 AM PDT
    I have always wanted to ride all over the German countryside.I was born just outside of Nurnberg Germany and since we moved back to the states when I was three I don't remember living their at all. I think it would be cool to check out the Army base I was born at and also the numerous castles in Germany.
    • 1855 posts
    May 2, 2013 1:55 PM PDT
    For those travelling west from points east of the Mississippi or Ohio river. Rte 412 through Arkansas is a great ride. Across the Arkansas panhandle right into N. Mexico.
    • 3006 posts
    May 2, 2013 5:25 PM PDT
    If I had the chance & the time,most likely I would do a grand tour of the west coast. Start in San Diego,
    heading north with the spring,stopping n visiting Hearst Castle,Kings Canyon,Yosemite, French Camp /Calaveras then swing back out to the coast for Big Sur & Santa Cruz etc etc...stay as close to Hwy 1 as possible,n camp along the way.
    This state has more interesting beautiful places to visit then most realize,from highest peak to lowest valley
    • 1 posts
    May 3, 2013 12:25 AM PDT
    I am think ing Africa next... Would love to ride the Serengeti. Daughter said no way to that so I said no way to Hawaii, yep would do it without her ass and then rub it in... But still have not got to ride Hodakda in Japan, that was a misunderstanding that did not work out. Wooly man and myself are thinking of doing the bear tooth again as last time they had a avalanche and we was not able to ride most of it... And the Wooly man wants to do Germany, I could just amagain my rag tag family trying to speak all lauganges but the one spooken there... But we would some how survive.
    • 19004 posts
    May 3, 2013 1:14 AM PDT
     I was fortunate that in 2009 I did my dream trip. On Rex (my 04 King) I touched all 48 lower states in 38 days. On this trip I met many Cyclefish members.

Since then I am now living my dream life. Travelling this Great USA in a motor home, with Riley, my canine security system, and Rex in his trailer. Going where the whim takes me and photographing what ever I want. With home bases in SW Texas and SE PA.

YES!

• May 3, 2013 9:55 AM PDT
    The $5,000 wouldn't cover shipping our bike to Ireland which is our real dream trip. So we would be headed all the way to the East Coast. New York City or bust!
    • 9 posts
    May 3, 2013 10:29 AM PDT
    Those of you, been around for a minute, know about  my dream run.  For those that don't , my run, starts at the Bridge of Lyons in St. Augustine, Florida, and runs all the way up to Bangor, Maine.  

http://www.google.com/images/sprite_directions_disambiguation_pins.png); background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;"> 
    St Augustine, FL

21 hours 43 mins
    http://www.google.com/images/sprite_directions_disambiguation_pins.png); background-position: 0px -21px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;"> 
    Bangor, ME

1,414.6 mi
    From: St Augustine, FL To: Bangor, MEVia Interstate 95. A week long trip, w/ two sideways "day trips".  One to Myrtle Beach, SC, and one to NYC, NY

I'm gonna do this trip, ONE DAY SOON,
    God willing.

Ride Free
    Tweek

• 1 posts
    May 6, 2013 1:14 PM PDT
    when I get sick of coming back to the USA...I'd like to ride South Africa..from Cape Town to Durban..up the east Coast..The only issue I'd have is riding through Kruger National park...too many lions and being on a bike might not have enough defense for a four legged hungry pride of cats.
  • May 6, 2013 1:40 PM PDT
    hmmmm . . .
    that Route 66 trip sounds like real fun.
    I'd have to start at the L.A. end, with a side trip to K.C..
  • May 10, 2013 1:31 PM PDT
    1stThumper wrote...
    hmmmm . . .

I like that idea!

• May 19, 2013 8:52 AM PDT
    Mykul wrote...
    1stThumper wrote...
    hmmmm . . .

I like that idea!
    12th St and Vine!
    • 1855 posts
    May 19, 2013 9:28 AM PDT
    Tweek wrote...
    Those of you, been around for a minute, know about  my dream run.  For those that don't , my run, starts at the Bridge of Lyons in St. Augustine, Florida, and runs all the way up to Bangor, Maine.  

http://www.google.com/images/sprite_directions_disambiguation_pins.png); background-position: 0px 0px; display: inline-block; width: 20px"> 
    St Augustine, FL

21 hours 43 mins
    http://www.google.com/images/sprite_directions_disambiguation_pins.png); background-position: 0px -21px; display: inline-block; width: 20px"> 
    Bangor, ME

1,414.6 mi
    From: St Augustine, FL To: Bangor, MEVia Interstate 95. A week long trip, w/ two sideways "day trips".  One to Myrtle Beach, SC, and one to NYC, NY

I'm gonna do this trip, ONE DAY SOON,
    God willing.

Ride Free
    Tweek

Been there and done that Tweek except the convenient by pass of N.Y.   Took the longer way around.  All n' all a fun ride though a bit congested.

Peace
  • May 19, 2013 11:58 AM PDT
    I think a long trip to the four corners of the lower 48 US states is mine.
    I will do it in the next year or so with minimal interstate travel involved .Heading northwest to Oregon then south to San Diego along the coast and then east to Fla. and north home to NY, With as little as interstate as I can. Will take as log s possible, may two to three months.
    • 834 posts
    July 18, 2013 12:50 PM PDT
    Always wanted to ride the Pacific Coast from Mexico to Canada and maybe even up into Canada a bit.