Tools?

• May 1, 2013 2:13 AM PDT
    Have ridden metrics all my life and finally bought my first Harley this year(2013 Electra Glide). What do expierenced riders recommend you have in your tool kit? Hoping I'm not jinxing myself by posting this since the bike is brand new and has a lot of warranty in front of it.

Thanks

Doc

• May 1, 2013 2:45 AM PDT
    Small list from tool set that was design for Harley bikes I hope it helps.

●Ratchet steering wheel

●Extension bar 75/150mm

●Universal joint

●Sliding driver

●Torque socket T10 .15.20.25.27.30.40.45.50

●Heck's socket 1/8, 9/64, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, quarter, 5/16, 3/8

●Plug socket 13/16(21mm), 5/8(16mm)

●Socket wrench 7/8, 13/16, three-quarters, 11/16, 5/8, 9/16

●Socket wrench (12 angles) half, 7/16, 3/8, 5/16, quarter .10mm

●Combination wrench 3/8, 7/16, half, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, three-quarters
  • May 1, 2013 2:50 AM PDT
    Ratchet steering wheel? Is that one of those little tiny ratchets that is basically head portion of a ratchet? And by sliding driver are you talking about a T-bar?
    • 1364 posts
    May 1, 2013 2:50 AM PDT
    One tool I never leave home without is a mini compressor and a tire plug kit
  • May 1, 2013 2:55 AM PDT
    There is a lot of good tool sets for HD out there it all depends on your budget the only ones I dont recommend are HD sets
    • 16795 posts
    May 1, 2013 3:46 AM PDT

• 5417 posts
    May 1, 2013 3:54 AM PDT
    I have two sets of tools I carry.  I smaller one for day rides within a couple hundred miles of home (anything more than a quick fix, I'll call a buddy with a truck and take it home to fix it).  That kit consists of...
    • Screwdrivers (flat & philips)
    • Double Open End Wrenches (common sizes)
    • Adjustable Wrench
    • A Cruz Tool Folding Hex/Star Key Set
    • Pliers
    • Leatherman
    • Duck Tape & Electrical Tape
    • Bailing Wire
    • Fix a Flat & Tire Plug Kit
    • Flashlight

When I am traveling I add...
    • Full Set of Sockets including Hex & Torx Bits, extensions & swivel
    • Several Different Size Screwdrivers
    • Spark Plus and Spark Plug Wrench
    • Combo Wrench Set (complete SAE and a 10mm for the battery)
    • Large Adjustable Wrench
    • Hammer
    • Quart of Oil
    • Safety Flares

This is actually a nice kit here if you add a few more sockets to it...
    http://www.beza.biz/windzone/catalog/ek1hd style="font-size: larger;">

• 846 posts
    May 1, 2013 4:00 AM PDT
    I have a CruzTools Econokit H1 that I've thrown in the saddle bag. Rolls up small and includes the basic tools. That and a patch kit (just to get home or to a shop). Once home my favorite tool is RevBigJohn's just wave it around a little and swear.
  • May 1, 2013 10:56 AM PDT
    pliers, screwdriver with interchangeable bits (allen, torxe, straight and phillips), crescent wrench, wire cutter, electrical tape, duct tape... if ya cant fix it with those.. its not gettin fixed on the side of the road...
    • 1855 posts
    May 1, 2013 11:02 AM PDT
    Tools? You guys take tools? LOL
    • 5417 posts
    May 1, 2013 11:11 AM PDT
    Jimmy. I carry tools to ensure the bike won't break! Kind of like carrying rain gear to ensure it don't rain :-)
    • 79 posts
    May 1, 2013 3:32 PM PDT
    Adding to the list,Gearwrench makes a great thru hole socket set that i won't leave home without.It's saved me many times on the side of the road.
    • 834 posts
    September 3, 2013 1:12 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Jimmy. I carry tools to ensure the bike won't break! Kind of like carrying rain gear to ensure it don't rain :-)

Yep, the more tools you carry, the less chance of a break down!

• September 27, 2013 4:28 AM PDT
    I have a patch kit, a mini pump, and the HD Touring Handbook with the list of dealers.
    • 284 posts
    November 1, 2013 9:05 AM PDT
    I carry a cell phone with:

Fix a Flat

Local
    Gas service
    Bike wrecker company
    HOG Road Side Assistance

Tour
    Hog Road Side Assistance.

Why no tools. Cause the ONE DANG TOOL I NEED is not on the bike.
  • December 2, 2013 6:54 AM PST
    I'd suggest 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 socket sets, 1/4"-1 1/2" open end box end wrenches In lb and ft lb torque wrenches, set of tire spoons, 6", 10" 12" 18" crescent wrenches. same sizes of Channel locks, complete set of allen wrenches, set of Phillip and flat head screwdrivers, motorcycle jack, 2hp air compressor, air impact gun, spare front and rear tire, set of spark plugs, spare jugs, pistons, rings, gaskets. 5KW generator, drill motor, 1/64-3/4" drill bits, spare throttle and clutch cables, spare clutch pack, spare wheel bearings, oil for engine tranny and clutch (if it's a wet clutch) extra drive belt. Knack gang box, dual axel trailer to haul it with. Trust me you carry all this and if you break down you'll have everything but the 1 part to get back up and running
    • 1855 posts
    December 2, 2013 7:23 AM PST
    aquadave wrote...
    I'd suggest 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 socket sets, 1/4"-1 1/2" open end box end wrenches In lb and ft lb torque wrenches, set of tire spoons, 6", 10" 12" 18" crescent wrenches. same sizes of Channel locks, complete set of allen wrenches, set of Phillip and flat head screwdrivers, motorcycle jack, 2hp air compressor, air impact gun, spare front and rear tire, set of spark plugs, spare jugs, pistons, rings, gaskets. 5KW generator, drill motor, 1/64-3/4" drill bits, spare throttle and clutch cables, spare clutch pack, spare wheel bearings, oil for engine tranny and clutch (if it's a wet clutch) extra drive belt. Knack gang box, dual axel trailer to haul it with. Trust me you carry all this and if you break down you'll have everything but the 1 part to get back up and running

Now THAT'S funny!!!!