Suggestions on a new Helmet?

• April 22, 2013 10:54 AM PDT

Hey guys I'm in the market for a new helmet and being from Chicago have never been required to wear one.  But I have 3 little boys and a wife and it would really make her happy if I started wearing one.  I'd like to buy just a short half helmet, maybe a three quarter, definitely no full face helmets.  I spotted one that Nolan makes called the super ocruise.  If you have one that your really happy with let me know, thanks guys,  Ryan

• April 22, 2013 12:00 PM PDT
    Ryan, does not matter what other folks use on a helmet! Everybody has a specific shape, and the best thing you can do is find the best one for your head.....try lots on! A bad fitting helmet can ruin a ride.
  • April 22, 2013 12:12 PM PDT
    I have a Z1R Drifter half helment. I paid only $50. It fairly comfortable and has a zip out neck liner when it gets hot. I think I look a little like a bobble head so I am looking for a slim fit half. I do like the bell rogue or the bell pit boss.

• April 22, 2013 2:48 PM PDT
    Yea I like both of those. There's also the bell black opps I like to. I guess I'll have to go try em on.
  • April 22, 2013 2:49 PM PDT
    Thanks for the advise guys
  • April 22, 2013 2:49 PM PDT
    Thanks for the advise guys
    • 5417 posts
    April 22, 2013 3:52 PM PDT
    I wear a small half helmet now (the kind that just go on the top of the head) but thinking about going to the style of half helmet that cut down and just barely cover the ears. Of course safety is why I choose to wear a helmet so I always make sure it is a quality /reliable helmet... but just as important is the fit. I can wear my helmet for 10+ hours a day and it needs to be comfortable! There are some great deals online, but I would recommend going somewhere you can try them on. If they don't have decent prices, get the model and gfo on line and find it for less.

I tried this one on and realy like it.  It has an adjustable fit...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/47929/ITEM/Bell-Pit-Boss-Checkers-Twin-Tone-Helmet.aspx />
  • April 22, 2013 11:29 PM PDT
    I hate *(&%$#@^#$*& helmets.....
    • 846 posts
    April 23, 2013 6:32 AM PDT
    Well most of it has been said here. The fit and comfort are main reason for getting one helmet over another. It took me awhile to find a helmet that fit me right. So its down to trying on a few of different manufactures to see which one suits you. It took me more then a few dealers and bike shows to find one that really fit me so good luck.
  • April 23, 2013 8:34 AM PDT
    Thanks again for all the help:)

• 1 posts
    April 23, 2013 10:06 AM PDT
    Hey Ryan...this has nothing to do with style or other...but i dig the comment at the start...by you wearing a lid, in will encourage your boyz to follow suit. I know alot on here live in states that don't require helmets..which is fine..I also know that kids have to wear them, up to a certain age...but the biggest incentive you can give a child is to practise what you preach..even if its only riding a pushbike...letterboxes and trees for example usually don't move when a kids head hits them.
  • May 24, 2013 6:32 PM PDT
    Outlaw by Leatherup.
    I got the carbon fiber one, on sale, for about 70 bucks . . .
    I think I saw them for about $80.00 now.
    light and contured nicely.
    No mushroom head

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Outlaw-Helmets/2/131.html />
    • 567 posts
    May 25, 2013 2:15 AM PDT
    Not sure if this link will come out right. But I've got an HJC IS-2 that's really nice. It has a pull-down tinted visor that you can utilize when there's too much sun; or you just wanna get some of the wind outta your face; or, in the case of rain, it shields your face & sunglasses from rain splatter.

http://hjchelmets.com/v2kx2/ />
    • 5417 posts
    August 29, 2013 10:44 AM PDT
    Just got this one and I love it.

After trying on probably 50 helmets I decided to go with the HJC 3/4 helmet (which is the same on Harley sells with their logo).  I found it at HelmetCity.com for just $130.  It is super comfortable and with the ventilation system not that hot either.

You can find it here... http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/hjc-openface-helmets/hjc-is-33-black /> (comes in other colors too)

And most of all, I think I look damn good in it!!!!
  • September 27, 2013 2:37 PM PDT
    I have a Skid Lid 1/2 helmet for when it's hot and a Bell 500 3/4 for cooler weather. Novelty helmets give about as much protection as a stocking cap so get a DOT helmet if you're going to wear one. Kurt
    • 86 posts
    September 27, 2013 6:02 PM PDT
    I just bought a new helmet from Fly Racing. Its convertible, you can use it as full face, 3/4 with clear or smoke face shied or 3/4 with a sun visor. It comes with everything Here is the link http://www.flyracing.com/product/street/apparel/helmets/tourist-helmet/1884/flat-black Good luck its all personal preference.
  • September 28, 2013 1:31 AM PDT
    Kurt said it my friend.....here in Tenn. you will get a ticket for wearing a NON DOT helmet.
    Ride safe
    Night Dragon