We need a new Category for Sportsters.......

• 284 posts
    February 19, 2013 8:36 AM PST
    Lets face it Sportster Riders are Real Riders, after you pass the line to those FXGLYZ things and add wind this, flarings, fiberglass bags, foot rests, stero, cb, etc you are driving a two wheel cage.

We need a Category for the Real RIders, The Sportster RIders......  So we can discuss real bikes.        
    • 1780 posts
    February 19, 2013 11:34 AM PST
    Hey Silversportster.......back in the 70's I lived in California, and bought a Sportster. Yea I put up with a lot of crap from all the other Harley Riders, even to the point of calling it a "Baby Harley"...Well that gave me an idea of a painting I wanted on the Baby's Tank which was not the peanut tank of the day but a (I believe a Super Glide tank which was a bit bigger....someone correct me on that if it doesn't sound right). I also got the painting idea from the Meat Loaf "Bat out of Hell" album cover.
    I had a friend air brush a picture of a Baby Devil (with a diaper on) Blasting out of Hell with Hot Rocks flying all over the place, and the words "Baby Harley" written across the lower part of the tank. It was my way of kind of shooting the bird to all the other Harley Dudes. Most got a huge laugh out of it and the next thing I know everyone accepted the Scooter just like the big ones. Had a 12 over springer front end with NO front brakes, and shoe brakes on the back. Can you say Crazy. Can't believe I didn't kill myself on that "Baby Harley".......I traded it for a 64 PAN HEAD!
    You go........
    Night Dragon

• 2 posts
    February 19, 2013 12:19 PM PST
    Knock it off lad - If it wasn't for the big guys willing to duff my gear I would have to lash on on the the triple-tail when we head out. - Tho I do agree that highway pegs on a Sportster are a crime against nature.
    "Sports" . . . . Sportster . . . . If you ain't standing on the pegs you ain't taking it to its potential

Now to use your vocabulary Buellers are the "Real Riders", to say nothing of the Ducatti guy/gals and the Hayabusa riders they leave us all in the dust, tho I think a ton of the Triumph Tiger people - Your words, not mine
  • February 19, 2013 2:43 PM PST
    I think, if you look around you'll find many fine people with Sportsters and many fine sportsers here on Cyclefish. For example checkout babydoll2882's 2012 Sportster with the Susan B Kolman paint. Very nice.
    • 19004 posts
    February 19, 2013 10:31 PM PST
    I'll keep my couch!!!!!
    • 1780 posts
    February 19, 2013 11:18 PM PST
    Fred77 wrote...
    I think, if you look around you'll find many fine people with Sportsters and many fine sportsers here on Cyclefish. For example checkout babydoll2882's 2012 Sportster with the Susan B Kolman paint. Very nice.

Fred actually it's Susan "G" Kolman....Don't worry I've been corrected many times by the owner....LOL
    She does have an awsome Ride with a Great Cause!!!

• 284 posts
    February 20, 2013 12:16 AM PST
    My first bike was a chopped 57 PanHead, and I had a 57 Chevy PickUp.

I respect anyone on 2 wheels..... Just wanted to poke some fun.....
  • February 20, 2013 12:35 AM PST
    Whoops...that's what happens when I try to use my memory and not look things up before I post.

• 844 posts
    February 20, 2013 1:29 AM PST
    Lets face it Sportster Riders are Real Riders, after you pass the line to those FXGLYZ things and add wind this, flarings, fiberglass bags, foot rests, stero, cb, etc you are driving a two wheel cage.

We need a Category for the Real RIders, The Sportster RIders......  So we can discuss real bikes.        

There is one... http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/category/7/index  ;

(just kidding)
  • February 20, 2013 1:33 AM PST
    Back in the '70's I had a '69 XLCH 900cc and a '74 XLH 1000cc...now I have a '72 XLCH 1000cc and an '89 XLH 1200cc. I love my Sportsters, but facing reality, I know in the next few years (now that I'm 60) I will need the comfort of an FLH or a damn three-wheeler if I want to keep riding, but that's just the way it is.....
    • 5417 posts
    February 20, 2013 2:26 AM PST
    You funny GoFur !!!
    • 284 posts
    February 20, 2013 4:14 AM PST
    GoFur that is sooooo low...... :oP
  • February 20, 2013 6:20 AM PST
    Ride what you like and can afford. To each their own. No one bike is great for everyone. Bashing other riders is what a cage driver at heart will do to us.
    • 846 posts
    February 20, 2013 6:49 AM PST
     Even though I ride the rolling couch (RK) I still have my sporty and I have the utmost respect for them and there riders. That bike will always have a special spot in my heart. I like to take it out for a rip now and again and I’m thinking it needs a new face lift. It’s just a different type or ride. Plus is there ever a bad ride?

But I will say when distance is the goal nothing beats the RK for eating up the miles.

• 9 posts
    February 20, 2013 7:08 AM PST
    Call 'em what you will. I call it MY BIKE. Sportster's RULE. And I never had a problem keepin' up with the
    "big boys". Blue was TWEEK'D. And I was told by more than one, I ride like a man. Whatever...
    The point is, no matter what you ride, there's always gonna be someone gonna run their mouth. Right up til
    you blow by em. And then they get that "look" of amazement...

I like 'em low, I like 'em lean, and I like the THROTTLE.
    Just ain't the same, on any other bike. Not for me, anyways.

Give me a Sportster...any day.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • February 21, 2013 9:02 AM PST
    I couldn't agree more, Tweek! And, thank you, Fred77 & Dragon. Dolly is my first bike & although I've only been riding a little over a year, she's all the bike I need on trips & out and about around town. She's pretty peppy and can hang with the best of 'em. I think Dragon can vouch for that Oh, and guys...it's the Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer research...;)))
    • 1780 posts
    February 21, 2013 10:15 AM PST
    I will say for someone that has only been riding a year (DollyBaby) this is one Bad Ass Female Rider, and will put her skills up against Most Men. FYI this Harley Rider rode over 100 miles in freezing Temps.......with a Harley Battery in her Back pack on her back.
    Never complains!
    Dragon
    • 1161 posts
    February 21, 2013 11:36 AM PST
    Wish I could afford a "baby Harley" it has at minimum double the CC then mine has. Haha. Even a "baby H-D" is still an HD.
    • 16795 posts
    February 21, 2013 12:11 PM PST
    When I rode a Flathead (750 cc) "they" called it a Hog.
    When I rode a Knucklehead (989 cc) "they" called it a Hog.
    When I rode a Sportster (1000 cc) "they" called it 1/2 a Harley.
    When I road a Ultra Glide (1,449 cc) "they" called it a Garbage Barge.

To hell with "they", I ride for me not them.
    • 1 posts
    February 21, 2013 12:17 PM PST
    hmmmm...boat anchors comes to mind easily....
    • 1 posts
    February 21, 2013 12:25 PM PST
    No one should ever be subjected to this display....even if you are only helping someone injured on a ride. 
  • February 21, 2013 2:18 PM PST
    Ok I am 68 and broken down.. I bought my 2011 Sportster LR1200L 2 days ago. I had a Busa 150 + all the Time, but being smarter and loving to Ride I bought the sporty to Ride until it falls in the ditch for the last time and me with a smile on my Face .. I don't Care what anyone says.. It will be my bike to love.. until the end... I am going to slow down and smell the cow patties...
    • 1780 posts
    February 21, 2013 11:44 PM PST
    Anyone that gives someone else crap about what they ride ....DOES NOT understand what riding is all about, so stay away from those clowns!
    Dragon
    • 844 posts
    February 22, 2013 3:38 AM PST

Personally I don't care what you ride, anyone on two wheels can ride side by side with me.

But, the man did open himself to some good natured ribbing when he started this discussing with...

"We need a Category for the Real RIders, The Sportster RIders......  So we can discuss real bikes."

• 5417 posts
    February 22, 2013 4:55 AM PST
      With both things GoFur said...

I will ride with almost anyone on any type of bike.  If I choose NOT to ride with someone it is normally because of the person, not the bike.

And he did open himself up to some ribbing with the opening comment!!!