ROTATOR CUFF SURGERY

• January 28, 2013 11:13 PM PST
    Has anyone out there had rotator cuff surgery, and if so, how long was it before you rode again. 

captain
  • January 28, 2013 11:59 PM PST
    Had one after the wreck in December of 07, they did the Surgery on my arm in March after I could walk ,that arm was held immobile for 30 days and I was riding in May, Had to lift my arm with the other and set it on the bars,. When the doc said I could ride I left Texas and road to North Idaho, pissed him off. I would suggest you take more time than I did. When I would stop and if the bike started to tip to the left I had no strength in my left side to hold it. So down it would go and I would have to pick it up using my right arm. It took over two years to get back close where I was.
    Take your time exercise it and get your full strength back before riding, I’m paying for it now by pushing and abusing myself to soon after surgery.
    steve
    • 1855 posts
    January 29, 2013 2:53 AM PST
    Left and right shoulders done one year apart. Roughly 45 days and I was back in the wind; may have been sooner.

Peace
    • 823 posts
    January 29, 2013 3:55 AM PST
    I had my right shoulder worked over a couple of years back. Scheduled it dec 24. Was able to ride in 3 months with confidence. Mine was both joints and took 4 incisions and 3+ hours in surgery. I would say mine was longer recovery than some of the people in physical therapy with rotator cuff only. So with good PT I would think somewhere from 6 to 12 weeks in my opinion.
  • January 29, 2013 4:34 AM PST

I had both Shoulders surgically reconstructed 11/2010 - 5/2011 surgeries were successful. Each one took about 6 months to heal and i have had no problems since. No pain, strength took a while to get back but doing a lot better now. In 6/2012 i had back surgery also (Disc replacement & fusion of L3,4,5 vertibrate). I started riding last week 1/21/13 and it went well, (50 mile highway ride) so this weekend planning a longer ride and see how it goes...

Good luck with Surgery, Best advice be confident going under the knife and follow your Dr.'s orders, Complete all your physical therapy and you'll be riding sooner than you think. Pain free!