Passenger age

• 823 posts
    December 23, 2012 8:47 AM PST
     I know there are laws for each state.  Some are clearer than others.  I interpret NM law to have no minimum age but says feet must be on pegs.  Just wondering what other people think and have done or do now as far as hauling the kid around.  Of course Helmets and eye protection are a given.   Just like some views  on this subject.
  • December 23, 2012 8:55 AM PST
    I don't know what the age laws are here in vermont but I did see a child that was about 3 riding in front of their father on a bike. That is definatly something that I dont reccomend. I just think that if something were to happen and there was an accident that it would be a terrible tragidy indeed. I am all for itroducing kids to riding and for a ride in the neiborhood at that age but not on the main road. Just my personal point of view.
    • 823 posts
    December 23, 2012 1:25 PM PST
    I had my 4 year old ride, with a full face helmet, between me and my grown daughter during a local toy run and a couple other times on some back roads. Still don't trust her alone back there. Thinking of getting some shorter pegs and having some more rides around the block or the school parking lot to see how she does. She loves bikes and wants to go all the time.
    • 79 posts
    December 23, 2012 3:05 PM PST
    My youngest daughter has been riding with me since she could touch the pegs.She is 15 now and all she can think of is getting a harley for her self
    • 16795 posts
    December 23, 2012 3:19 PM PST
    30 some years ago one of my friends brought his wife and new-born son home from the hospital in his sidecar.
  • December 23, 2012 7:14 PM PST
    Over here in BRIT-land feet must reach pegs, thats it... but ... cops will pull if the rider does not have a belt with strap-loops that hold the kids hands TRAPPED!!!

.....and THAT is deemed to be safer???

supposed to stop the kid falling off if they fall asleep or slip etc...WTF???
  • December 23, 2012 10:56 PM PST
    HMMMMM sidecar great idea. Can you get one for an 05 fatboy?
    • 19004 posts
    December 24, 2012 12:28 AM PST
    My grandkids can't wait till they can "reach the pegs" on Rex.
    • 5417 posts
    December 24, 2012 1:59 AM PST
    I have ridden a lot with my kids on the back once they were old enough to firmly plant their feet on the passenger pegs. When they were real young they all wore full face helmets. As my youngest son got a little older he switched to a 3/4 helmet. Like anything that our kids do, especially those with some inherent danger, we do our best to teach them safety first... proper clothing and protective gear, what to do in case of an emergency situation or accident, etc. Then I let them enjoy it!

Like Mike, I can't wait to take the grand kids out for rides... gonna be a few more years yet.
    • 16795 posts
    December 24, 2012 3:49 AM PST
    woosterbiker wrote...
    HMMMMM sidecar great idea. Can you get one for an 05 fatboy?

Through my travels over the years I have seen sidecars mounted to just about every type and model of motorcycle.
    If not built directly for a bike, adapting can be done.

• December 26, 2012 5:52 AM PST
    in 1976 my then 2 year old son and I road from Tucson AZ to Washington State. There were no laws that I knew of then about kids riding but the cops did hassle me about it. We road at night; him on my lap and a large coat around us.
    Just a side note, he’s riding that bike now and his grand son rides with him
    • 19004 posts
    December 27, 2012 1:30 AM PST
    WOW Slider, that was a long trip...Cops would put you in jail today for sure. Great that he is riding that bike!
    • 1855 posts
    December 27, 2012 7:48 AM PST
    Well I ain't admittin' to nothin' though I am a bit more resolute concerning my grandkids.

Peace
    • 284 posts
    February 21, 2013 9:17 PM PST
    I agree with feet on the pegs for regular city riding for kids of appropriate age with helmet and eye wear. If you are just giving rides up and down your street to wee little ones, between you and the gas tank.