Packing heat

• 40 posts
    November 28, 2012 2:42 AM PST
     I was just wondering if any of you out there carry guns? I have a concealed gun permit but never take my gun anywhere when I'm on the road , but  I wonder if I should?  What do you think should I or shouldn't I carry it with me?
  • November 28, 2012 2:51 AM PST
    Hi rpalacios,i have a ccw also,and i take my gun everywhere, no matter if i ride or cage,i never leave home with out it.you just never know in todays world sorry to say .be safe
  • November 28, 2012 2:55 AM PST
    IMHO...if you have a permit to carry, carry. Better to have it and never need it, than to need it and not have it. Besides having a weapon to protect yourself, you may actually have the opportunity to save someone else someday. An awesome responsibility.

Never leave home without it!
    • 40 posts
    November 28, 2012 3:18 AM PST
    hdtrike55 and mac117, thanks for the input.
    • 3006 posts
    November 28, 2012 4:33 AM PST
    Never carry & never will ,have always relied on my wits to avoid trouble out on the road,not to say tht I dont believe in a persons right to carry,if it truly makes them feel safer in our society,.. if I did carry,most likely a Walther PPK small effcient yet reliable from what I understand.
  • JSY
    November 28, 2012 6:47 AM PST
    I was making a trip to the Grand Canyon one year and called the Highway Patrol to ask if I could carry and firearm with me in the open in a holster. Arizona allows that at the time. I was told it was no problem , But expect to be pulled over alot. As far as a concealed weapon, There have been times i wish i had one, But then again, Im glad i didn't, If you have self control in a bad situation go for it, But Im not too sure I would...Just my opinion. Take care and ride safe.....JSY
    • 19007 posts
    November 28, 2012 7:14 AM PST
    As long as I am legal (varies by state) I carry.
    • 16795 posts
    November 28, 2012 7:37 AM PST
    I carry for the same reason a cop does, self protection.
    • 2 posts
    November 28, 2012 10:29 AM PST
    Carry permits about impossible to obtain in NYS. -Also cross the Canadian border sometimes.
    If I legally could carry I would but the only times I really wanted to was when camping in bear country.
    Sometimes a breaktop 20 ga. X 22 mag accidentally disassembles itself and climbs into my tail bag.
    • 79 posts
    November 28, 2012 2:10 PM PST
    Never carry while riding.When we stop it is always at a bar and thats a felony in ohio
  • November 28, 2012 11:14 PM PST
    Yipper, everywhere we go!
    • 40 posts
    November 29, 2012 1:24 AM PST
    Thanks guys and gals for your input, I'm still debating this issue I want to but I don't see myself getting into any situations that will call for me to use it. I've been to rallies and bikers are out there to have fun and there's always safety in numbers. Thanks again, i will make that decision when I'm faced with it.
    • 823 posts
    November 29, 2012 2:18 AM PST
    I always have a firearm of some sort on me or close by. If you have a permit to carry then you should carry in my opinion. How many times could more deaths and injuries have been prevented if someone had been carrying when some lunatic opened fire on a crowd. I don't go looking for trouble. I don't carry and drink alcohol, which is illegal anyway. Who would have ever thought they would be in a gunfight in a theater or at school or at a family restaurant. I hope I never have to be in that situation but I am prepared for it. Hopefully I am not alone in this way of thinking. Some people choose to be sheep which is their choice. Some sheep are afraid of the sheepdog until the day the wolf shows up.
  • November 29, 2012 2:44 AM PST
    As long as you stay proficitient in your fire arms training and practice with your weapon of choice, I have no problem with you carrying. It's the gun carrier who never shoots and can't see across the room that I worry about. Stay safe and enjoy your rides and hopefully you can log tons of miles and never need to reach for your weapon.
    • 823 posts
    November 29, 2012 3:06 AM PST
    wheels wrote...
    As long as you stay proficitient in your fire arms training and practice with your weapon of choice, I have no problem with you carrying. It's the gun carrier who never shoots and can't see across the room that I worry about. Stay safe and enjoy your rides and hopefully you can log tons of miles and never need to reach for your weapon.

I agree completely.  This is what is taught in the class for concealed carry.  I myself worry about those people who carry but have never fired their weapon.  FMJ ammo and paper targets are cheap.  Get to know your weapon.
    • 40 posts
    November 29, 2012 3:37 AM PST
    Wheels and Guero, thanks for your input. I usually go to the range twice a month, I guess it's the only time I've had to use my gun. I have Glock 9mm, by the way in case you were wondering.
  • November 29, 2012 8:17 AM PST
    Yes I do...and it is concealed. Although I have a CCW permit, in AZ you don't need one. The only requirement is that (providing you're not prohibited from carrying firearms) is that if you are detained by a LEO, you must inform them that you are carrying.
  • November 30, 2012 2:02 AM PST
    Carry everywhere legaly allowed,mostly OC though and have never been bothered by doing so here in PA
    • 1 posts
    November 30, 2012 5:29 AM PST
    Yep
    • 1855 posts
    November 30, 2012 7:09 AM PST
    jmd1967 wrote...
    Never carry while riding.When we stop it is always at a bar and thats a felony in ohio

It's a felony only if you are drinking.  It is legal in Ohio to carry concealed in a bar
  • November 30, 2012 7:21 AM PST
    carry all the time, especially on harley ---trust no one!
  • November 30, 2012 7:58 AM PST
    mac117 wrote...
    IMHO...if you have a permit to carry, carry. Better to have it and never need it, than to need it and not have it. Besides having a weapon to protect yourself, you may actually have the opportunity to save someone else someday. An awesome responsibility.

Never leave home without it!

• 85 posts
    November 30, 2012 1:54 PM PST
    I dont carry for the simple fact that I know Im a hot head, been a few times I would have made the wrong chose while in that road rage state of mind! But if I could control my temper I would carry, just saying...
    • 2072 posts
    December 2, 2012 1:03 AM PST
    I have a CCW and ALWAYS carry. Better safe than sorry. World has too many crazy people !!!!
    • 611 posts
    December 2, 2012 1:21 PM PST
    I have had a pistol on my person since I was 21. Only pulled it in my defense twice. Have used it twice in OTHERS defense. Never a shot was fired. We should always listen to our inner voice. If you are not comfortable, don't carry. My Colt 45 ACP is a comfortable weight in my waistband. Have been in several fights and never had to draw it out. Many years and miles ago, but I still remember them.
    Carry if it feels right. You will KNOW if you listen.
    Here's one. Traffic was backed up, full night was upon us. Someone came down the line of traffic and stopped at every rig for a moment. I figured he was letting us know what was up. I'm on the scoot, he walks up and smiles and says 'Hey, you gotta gun? There's a deer up here, been hit bad. Can you help put it down?"
    So, I idled up the line to the cause of the snarl and saw a small car crunched, busted windshield and a deer with four broken legs in the road. Terrified and flailing, the animal was dying a terrible death in the headlights of the humans that caused it... I looked around and asked all to stand clear... and ended the life of a critter. Up close and personal. Afterward, I stroked it's neck and offered a sincere apology. Folks grabbed its legs and dragged it to the side of the road. We all jumped in, pushed the little car away from traffic and as I rode away, I was glad that I could help the critter to move on & sad that I had to use the machine at my beltline.
    For me, it is "Don't Leave Home without It."
    edge "AlwaysThere" walker