Hurricane Sandy

• November 5, 2012 11:59 PM PST
    We give locally....that way we know it stays locally.
    • 2 posts
    November 9, 2012 6:14 AM PST
    In the continuing "Can't Make This Stuff Up, Folks department" Thought it was from "The Onion" but is alive & well and living with what is a apparently a majority of my countrymen.

Bloomberg banned food donations to homeless shelters

Mayor Michael Bloomberg in March instituted a ban on food donations to homeless shelters. No, not because of food contamination, but because the city can’t properly assess salt, fat and fiber in donated food and thereby ensure starving people are getting the optimal levels of nutrition. Can’t have dumpy-looking homeless people on the streets! We knew Bloomberg was a health nut, but maybe he’s just anti-food? Maybe put this one to a vote — it’s hard to imagine what harm fresh soup and bagels (two items that have already been turned away) could do to a hungry person. 

It is important to vote for peiple like this, but in the interm I am going Gault to the limit of my abilities

http://now.msn.com/hard-to-swallow-bloomberg-bans-food-donations-to-homeless-shelters />

• 844 posts
    November 9, 2012 6:30 AM PST
    I usually donate blood to the Red Cross. They can always use that even during non-disaster times!
  • November 9, 2012 6:31 AM PST
    Me too. At least 4 times a year.
  • November 9, 2012 6:33 AM PST
    Living across the river, so to speak, from the city...all I can say is, Bloomberg's an idiot! After the Aurora, CO shooting he was on the tube demanding better gun control and stricter laws. Then the weeks following, they were having more killings in NYC of both LEO's and civilians than in A-stan! Nothing from the Mayor. His briefings are more comical than SNL. The BIG GULP is banned, salty food is banned, and they still have no power in the majority of the area. Yea New York!
    • 1 posts
    November 9, 2012 6:37 AM PST
    Used to give blood all the time. Now I live up in the hills and the nearest Red Cross is over 100 miles. I did donate using the text system, hope the little I do helps!
  • November 9, 2012 6:48 AM PST
    I used to donate blood all the time too. Anytime there was a blood mobile anywhere I would give and if there was a disaster somewhere I would go to the Red Cross and give. No with the cancer I can't give blood anymore, so I give what little money I can when I can.
    • 5417 posts
    November 9, 2012 8:37 AM PST
    Donating blood is one of those things you can do to help out even when times are tough and you just don't have any money to give... kind of like volunteering time. I must say that recently I have been bad about remembering to doante as much as I used to, but I'm going to try and fix that. I used to work for a large company and the Red Cross had a blood mobile in our industrial park every couple of months... that made it easy to remember!