Cruise Control

• 40 posts
    September 25, 2012 7:47 AM PDT
    Do aftermarket cruise control work at all? I've installed a few and have had nothing but poor results with them. Has anybody else tried them out and which ones actually worked?
  • September 25, 2012 9:14 AM PDT
    Do you mean throttle locks or actual cruise controls? I had a throttle lock on my bike once that worked great! When I switched my bars and grips it was usless since it uses a rubber shoe on a metal grip. I just bought the vista cruise control (throttle lock) for a buddy and as soon as he installs it on his Vulcan I will let you know what his verdict is.
    • 40 posts
    September 25, 2012 9:20 AM PDT
    Sorry, yes it's the throttle lock that I'm talking about.Thanks let me know how it turns out.
  • September 25, 2012 9:38 AM PDT
    I have the Throttle lock on my bike. I like it a lot.
    You do speed up and slow down a little (hills) but it works pretty good.
    I use mine mostly for long highway trips but it does give your hand a break when ever you need it.
    allows you to relax and stretch out your arm.
  • October 9, 2012 12:41 AM PDT
    Oh... My buddy the one I got the throttle lock for says its awesome!.. Its a vista cruise and I believe they are universal fit though you need either the 7/8' or 1' whatever size bars you have.
    • 40 posts
    October 9, 2012 6:44 AM PDT
    Thanks Keymaster, i hope I get the results I'm looking for.
    • 1855 posts
    October 9, 2012 11:38 AM PDT
    I think throttle locks are dangerous.  Here' a a suggestion.

Banggood Universal Motorcycle Throttle Cruise Control Assist Fit ALL grips
  • December 5, 2012 1:03 AM PST
    I have a 2000 FLHT and use a cruise mate. The nice thing about it is that once you have it activated you can still move your throttle up and down. We sell them on our website at bdmperformanceproducts.com. if your are interested.

See the Cruise-Mate here
    • 86 posts
    December 6, 2012 11:54 PM PST
    BDMPP, I just looked it up on your website. It looks like that might be pretty nice. I might have to try that out. Thanks for the info.
  • December 7, 2012 12:24 AM PST
    I have a vista cruise on my valcan 900 works good, The only thing is you have to remember that's it a throttle lock and not a cruise control, Its great for long flat rides and you will need to throttle up and down hills. But you can still control the throttle with the lock set
    • 5419 posts
    December 11, 2012 5:31 AM PST
    Yep, I use my throttle lock all the time. I don't crank it super tight so I can power on slightly on up hill and power down slightly on down hill. I usually keep my hand resting on the throttle anyway, I just use it so I don't have to grip and hold it.

I tried one of the "palm pads" (like above) but found it causes to much variation in speed with the slightest arm movement.
  • January 6, 2013 2:48 PM PST
    I have a vsita cruiser on my Road King....works ok for short stretches just to stretch my right hand for a while
    • 1 posts
    January 11, 2013 9:18 AM PST
    Installed a MC cruise control system on 2006 Nomad and had great result, however, it was and still is great pricey.
    • 19007 posts
    January 11, 2013 7:44 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Yep, I use my throttle lock all the time. I don't crank it super tight so I can power on slightly on up hill and power down slightly on down hill. I usually keep my hand resting on the throttle anyway, I just use it so I don't have to grip and hold it.

I tried one of the "palm pads" (like above) but found it causes to much variation in speed with the slightest arm movement.

Me too Ron. Also when I service the throttle cables I put a little lithium grease on the friction pad for the lock. It makes it much easier to find that spot where it will hold  and still allow easy movement.

• January 12, 2013 1:35 AM PST
    Funny what you’re talking about used to be called “Dead Mans” on HDs and several other bikes used it was a stock item. They were a winged screw that set under the throttle. On the 2005 road glide it’s electronic. I don’t and will not use it. I will use the throttle rocker that Jimmyacorn posted.
    For a while I did and sometimes still do endurance rides. Cruse can be dangerous in a car or bike, but at least the electronic ones if you touch the brake or clutch, adjust the throttle they disengage. Dead man’s do what they say Lock the throttle and its one more thing you have to do manually. Not a big deal 90% of the time but on that slim 10% it could cost you big time.
    • 467 posts
    January 12, 2013 9:40 AM PST
    I have an 02 FLSTF and had a stock cruise control unit from the 2010 model retrofitted to my bike for about $300
    Works great, like a true cruise control and saves on my bad right arm immensely!
    • 844 posts
    January 14, 2013 10:38 AM PST
    I use my throttle lock a lot, but just enough to hold it but still able to shut it down or crank it up. I will try the grease like Rex recommended. Sounds like a good idea.
  • January 14, 2013 4:00 PM PST
    Some of my friends use a simple ty-wrap for a throttle lock. They say it works pretty good. My 05 RK has electronic cruise which works really nice.
    Check this video out.