Raccoon Face

• 544 posts
    September 25, 2012 1:36 AM PDT
    I rode about 8 hours from St. Louis, Missouri to Kosciusko, Mississippi.  I had a great ride there and had a great ride back home which took me about 10 hours since I left the interstate and got on some highways.  It was relatively cool weather so I don't know if it is sun burn or wind burn but I look like a fricken raccoon.  I had on a half helmet and glasses.  If I would have suspected that I would burn I would have took some sun screen.  Live and learn! 

I saw a lot of bikers and met some of them on the trip.  Bikers are great people.  I did a lot of crusing at 75 to 80 mph.  The maiden voyage on my 2012 Road Glide Custom was fantastic.

Signed,

Rocky Raccoon

• 580 posts
    September 25, 2012 2:09 AM PDT
    Don't have that problem here - full face helmet lol. Also it's getting too bloomin cold and wet :o(
    Glad you had good long ride - getting out for a full day on two wheels and meeting great peeps is simply the best (o:
    • 3006 posts
    September 25, 2012 11:49 AM PDT
    Most likely its a combination of both.yet thats a good combo when your feet are in the wind
    Been burned by the sun & sand & wind many times.Best thing to do wear some sort of sunscreen.
    Tossed a bottle in my saddle bag n left it there.
    Sounds like it was a really nice ride,and prolly a lot more pleasnt off the interstate.Having a brand new bike even makes it sweeter,glad to hear she ran like a top.
    How many miles did you end doing ovr the 8 hr stretch?

stay safe n enjoy the ride
    • 846 posts
    September 26, 2012 5:36 AM PDT
    I had a similar experience when i was in AZ in April a few years back. Being a New Englander it was in the 60's and comfortable for me. Rode all day and noticed my nose was red (half helmet also). Chucked it up to wind burn. Next day it was warmer and didn't think much about the wind burn nose got redder started to use sun screen thinking it warmer and I should use it. Well day 1 was a sun burn, day three on the road my skin starts to peal off my nose. The rest of the trip my nose looks like road kill with skin pealing off all over the place. Now i know it sun burn and to late.
    Lesson learned, there is now sun screen in my saddle bag always and if I ride for any length of time regardless of temperature I put it on.
    • 544 posts
    September 26, 2012 8:20 AM PDT
    Yeah blurplebuzz, I rode about 440 miles on the way to Mississippi. You can bet I won't go without sunscreen again!
  • September 26, 2012 12:55 PM PDT
    Sometimes we have to suffer a little for that great feeling!
    Bought a new HD helmet with the half shield that retracts into the helmet-wore it on the highway going about 75, got home and had face burn, well needless to say some Dude in Thailand has a new HD helmet.
  • November 9, 2012 8:16 AM PST
    "Sometimes we have to suffer a little for that great feeling!"

How very true.
  • November 9, 2012 2:24 PM PST
    I rode to Sturgis from Illinois. It took 2 days riding about 10 hours each day. I used alot of sunscreen and chapstick. On the 3rd day I woke up with swollen lips, it looked like I got Botox. While I was in Sturgis I found an item to wear that covers the face and neck. I always wear a bandana on my head and with this stocking-thingy on my face I seriously looked like a "muslum" (no offense). I had so many looks from people it was funny.
    • 611 posts
    December 2, 2012 7:08 AM PST
    Feels good to feel good, don't it?
    I usually just tie a bandana round my ugly mug and then I don't have to worry bout sun/wind burn. Still have to slather my neck, ears back of my hands with a good sunscreen or I'll pay for it later...
    edge "NoBurn" walker
  • December 9, 2012 2:47 AM PST
    Had that happen a few years back - rode from Grand Forks, ND to Rapid City, SD, Labor Day weekend. Temps in the upper 90s. Got to our son's in Rapid and looked in the mirror, laughed my butt off. 'Racoon face' and where the chin straps from the half helmet ran, a white strip. Grandkids laughed too. Littlest one was only one, she kept running her fingers up and down the white streak.
    • 1 posts
    December 12, 2012 12:35 AM PST
    I must be part Indian or something i don't use nothing, and I always look like the albino version of the lone ranger after a day in the saddle...but thats life..on the road...and i 'll never change....until I can't do it anymore.
  • December 12, 2012 3:52 AM PST
    LOL  I had the same thing when I had my Motorcycle license renewal pic taken this fall.  I wish it would come out better to upload.  red, red, red!!!!!
    DocLubo