Very Sad had to sell Our Bikes!

• July 31, 2012 9:30 AM PDT
    Since we moved to Florida a little over a year ago things have been a bit tight. I wasn't able to get my lisence and we weren't able to swing putting our bikes on the road. It is a bit more expensive here in Florida then it was in NY and neither of us would ride without insurance and there was no way I could afford that now. So after thinking a long time about it we decided to sell our bikes. Now they were older bikes and we knew they would need someone who really cared about bikes to insure they would be taken good care of. My bike was a Honda CM 400 in really very good condition and my husbands bike was a 1979 Kawasaki 750 LTD Twin which he had only just finished rebuilding. We had found 2 of this bike and used the best of both bikes to rebuild it. Anyway My daughter and son in law both ride and My daughter had always liked my bike and the son in law well he just blew his bike apart and was without one. So we decided to be nice parents and sell them to them cheaper then we should have. Needless to say they live in upstate NY. The flew down and I thought his parents were going to meet them here and trailor the bikes back since they hadn't been riden in almost 2 years and neither of them really knowing these bikes. Well That wasn't the case. They rode thes bikes from here in Florida to Tenn near his parents then to NY and although my Honda seems as it is still running well our son in law had the Kawasaki all messed up and not running right before they even left Florida. Now they have trashed us both (husband and I) on facebook saying we sold then junk. We tried to tell them they were older bikes and they didn't know them and also they should be checked out completely before taking a long ride. They didn't even do an oil change or tune up on either bike.I feel so bad knowing neither bike is being taken care of and we are being blamed for anything now wrong with them. They were both started and run for a while by my husband before they had come to pick them up but I feel common sense should have taken over with them to at least completely check the bikes out before leaving here. And if there was even a small issue with either bike like there was with the kawasaki before leaving the bike should have been looked at and problem fixed before pulling out on a long trip not just taking off anyway. Needless to say I have learned a very important lesson. I will not ever sell to someone in my family thining it would be better then a starnger. I am not thinking a stranger would have thought more of the 2 bikes and taken a lot better care of them. Both my husband and myself are very sad our bikes are gone and that they are not being taken care of the way they should be. Someday we both hope to be riding again and we will know better from this point on family isn't always better. Just so sad 2 Classic Bikes are going to be distroyed by careless jerks.
    • 1855 posts
    July 31, 2012 10:15 AM PDT
    Yep, don't do business with family and sometimes not even friends. Sorry about the loss of your rides. Things will turn around for ya though.

Peace
    • 3006 posts
    July 31, 2012 2:27 PM PDT
    Sorry to hear abt your situation with the kids & the bikes.I see both sides of this,yet I agree you did what you thought was the riite thing to do,and it blew back in ur face,being from family only makes matters worse it seems,yet there is that bond.I would suggest taking the high road & let bygones be bygones, I have sold vehicles to family members & purchased them from brother & sister, no big hassles cept the ones that I created
    Your rite also abt family being no better,at times its best to avoid selling family anything,cept those one way tickets to Siberia LOL
    • 611 posts
    July 31, 2012 3:09 PM PDT
    oh for pete's sake (who is Pete anyway?)
    copy and paste the message from here, to your FB profile... and then act as nothing happened. the folks that want to believe them, will. The folks that know you two will see the truth in your words and they will believe you. pretty straight forward...

I always say "What other people think of me is none of my business. I cannot change how they feel or what they think. So I continue with my life and treat people as I wish to be treated."

That's what works for me, hope you see yerselves in here somewhere.

edge "MyLifeMyWay" walker
  • July 31, 2012 3:25 PM PDT
    It really doesn't bother hubby and I what they think of us or what they are saying about us to their friends. I think it bothers us more that they are killing the bikes we worked so hard for and took such good care of. Selling to them we thought the bikes would be taken care of but we were wrong. Live and learn is all I can say and we learned a lot this time
  • July 31, 2012 4:15 PM PDT
    Well, they are being kids. Give them a few years and they'll gain some wisdom. I still remember when I realized, "Mom and Dad did know what they were doing after all!"
    • 1161 posts
    July 31, 2012 7:41 PM PDT
    Sad to see your bikes are gone, even worse to have a problem with family. Wish I could have gotten my hands on your CM400 it would have been nice to make mine more original since mine is a Honda CM 400 T. And a lot of the parts and little items I need are no longer being stocked on shelves, been going to motorcycle salvage yards.
  • August 1, 2012 11:38 AM PDT
    Sounds like heart break times 4......I almost sold my bike to my son a little over a year ago, but at the last minute before doing paperwork I decided if he wanted a bike he should by his own, not mine.I knew if anything went wrong I'd beat myself for going down that road.I guess I was lucky he understood.
  • August 1, 2012 12:53 PM PDT
    Sorry to read about you family acted but well everyone is out looking for a bargin in all shapes and sizes. Som bargins are great deals and others not so much. Do the best ya can and let the rest go.
    • 2 posts
    August 1, 2012 1:27 PM PDT
    There is little you can do about family. Thankfully motorcycle are replaceable. Keep your head up. Things will get better and you'll be riding again in no time.
    • 9 posts
    August 1, 2012 11:46 PM PDT
    Kids today, huh? Their sense of entitlement, is only surpassed by our righteous expectations of them. Give this to God, and let it go. You can't change anything, but you did learn from the experience, eh? Forgive them, for as Jesus said, "they know not what they do". And even tho, it may seem as tho, they don't give a rat's azz, it's more of the fact that all kids today come from a throw-away culture. Use it, then lose it. Sad. Cause, they'll never know the joy of unwrapping a classic...anything. They just can't appreciate "the old". Know what I mean?

I'm sorry, that you both are upset. I know what that pain feels like. But like someone else said, you'll get other
    bikes. It may take a minute. But have faith. Something better is comin' 'round the next curve.

Ride Free
    Tweek <3