The 2012 Summer Olympics!!!

• 5419 posts
    July 16, 2012 3:07 AM PDT
    Just 10 more days until the Olympics!  Don't know about you but I can't wait.  I love competitive sports - just about any sport - and to me the Olympics are on the top of the list.  Watching these young atheletes who have worked there entire life to be the best of the best out there competing for the USA keeps me glued to the TV for the entire two weeks.

I haven't had a chance to watch to many of the trials and events leading up to the Olympics so I'm not sure where we stand in a lot of the sports, but I do know the USA will be kicking some ass in...

Men's Basketball - kind of a given!
    Men's and Women's Beach Volleyball - good to see all of our Champions back for another Olympics - Should be some great matches!!!
    Men's Swimming - hoping to see Michael Phelps break a few more records and Ryan Lochte picking up the medals Phelps misses!
    Women's Swimming - Good to see Natalie Coughlin back and looking from really good stuff from young Missy Franklin

We may even be pretty competitive in soccer this year - both men's and women's

USA - USA - USA

• 1516 posts
    July 16, 2012 4:47 AM PDT
    I am looking forward to it too
  • July 16, 2012 8:15 AM PDT
    oh well I'll miss it as I think I'll be traveling around then, Heading North for Mountian riding than maybe even further North for Mountian Fest then well More North have a great one! "T"
    • 1161 posts
    July 16, 2012 8:31 AM PDT
    I got to see a few of the trials for the quest to become an Olympian. It was great I also can't wait for the Olympics my self!
  • July 16, 2012 9:11 AM PDT
    I'm a big fan of track and field events like the shotputt and long and high jumps, I can't wait but i'll be missing the first few days because of our ride to Arizona. GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!
  • July 16, 2012 4:12 PM PDT
    I am so ready for the Olympics!!!!
    • 16795 posts
    July 16, 2012 5:10 PM PDT
    I'm praying for a safe Olympics.
  • July 16, 2012 11:03 PM PDT
    Love the Olympics! This will be the first summer Olympics in the last 4 decades that I haven't attended some of the games. My first was the Mexico Olympics in 68. But then I lived in El Paso and it was fun riding the old Suzuki and camping out (only in my 20s then). I just went broke being downsized so every extra penny just pays the bills. No biggie something will come along it is just the timing sucks! There is always TV!! Yea Olympics, yea all the top flight athletics and double yea team U.S.A!!
    • 2685 posts
    July 17, 2012 12:31 AM PDT
    Murph, that is awesome, sorry about your current situation-been there too, the memories must be so cool.
    Tell me you saw Bob Beamon break the world record in the long jump during the '68 Olympics. I would be very jealous.
    • 5419 posts
    July 25, 2012 9:10 AM PDT
    Looks like I'll be missing the first few days too because I'll be out in AZ with Wheels and a bunch of others. Guess we'll have to fill up the DVR!
    • 2 posts
    July 25, 2012 11:11 AM PDT
    Try as I might can't bring myself to give a rat's rump. - The LA Olympics were the last one I enjoyed.
    WHY?
    The athletes are now so good there are no surprises. - Used to be a bunch of young people trying to get by as best they could & gangs of them failed, showing more character in their failure than I will ever posses..

Besides;
    * they never show the shooting & archery events, about the only events I have ever might have qualified for
    * they never show the sailing events, have relatives in those

+;
    The ceremonies are industrial strength GAY! - Any male sitting thru them will become florist within a fortnight/
    • 844 posts
    July 25, 2012 11:29 AM PDT
    It's a competition of the worlds best athletes - of course they are good!
  • July 25, 2012 12:24 PM PDT
    i will be watching in between of other things. good luck goes out to the athletes.
  • July 25, 2012 3:13 PM PDT
    I especially love the Winter Olympics. I guess it's because we don't get to see the events they compete in on a regular basis.

I love watching the women's beach volley ball competition. Those poor girls are way over dressed though.
    • 16795 posts
    July 25, 2012 5:53 PM PDT
    Full contact Badminton is my favorite!
  • July 27, 2012 10:23 PM PDT
    Last night was a long night.....

Various aircraft coming and going ALL night long..... 

I live right under the flightpath to Northolt, the Main Base for all Air Activity covering London.....

When they said 2 up and 2 down I thought it would be at least a couple of hours in between.....

But no, its Heli's then Planes, then other Heli's, then Planes again, then the Ghetto Birds were popping in to refuel as well instead of using their own bases..... 

Have I got a few months of this???..... 

I hear The Algarve Portugal is nice at this time of year.....
    Yes, I am thinking of going for a couple of months.....
    SCREW LONDON!!!!!
    • 1855 posts
    July 27, 2012 11:59 PM PDT
    Opening ceremonies? Boring!!!!!!!!
  • July 28, 2012 12:38 AM PDT
    The Olympics are great and I love the competition, too. I could do without all the glitzy, polished media coverage, the human interest stories, and all the other stuff the networks bring into their coverage. In my ideal world, ESPN (or somebody) shows live (or rebroadcast) feeds from each event without all the rah-rah coverage, so we can just enjoy the event without all the chatter...
    • 5419 posts
    July 29, 2012 11:49 AM PDT
    Now that I'm home from the Too Broke for Sturgis rally I need to sit down and get caught up on all I missed. Think I have the entire DVR filled up already!

• 2 posts
    July 29, 2012 11:58 AM PDT
    Thanks Lucky, that's why most of us are here, to have fun!

I have enjoyed watching the games all weekend. Don't want to spoil it for you since you have it recorded but the US is doing good, but not great. I'm sure you have probably seen the headlines that we are second in overall medals and golds (both to China), but that's okay because our events are coming!!!

If you have it, watch the women's beach volleyball, that was a great match!
    • 834 posts
    July 30, 2012 7:57 AM PDT
    I saw that Donna, some good matches... especially are Super Girls!!! Misty and Kerri!!!

Go USA

Wasn't too impressed with the opening ceremonies, a little ho-hum and Sir Paul was sounding a little old, but I will never not watch him sing. I did enjoy watching the athletes walk in and seeing the different teams and that look of excitment and nervousness on their young faces.

They actually put TVs in here at work in the hallways and break rooms just for the Olympics. Were watching the USA beat up on Brazil in indoor volleyball right now.
  • July 30, 2012 8:04 AM PDT
    Still a perfect record for the California Girls Misty and Kerri!

I enjoyed the bicycle races too.  It was pretty cool to see them racing through the streets of London and then finish up at Buckingham Palace.
    • 5419 posts
    July 31, 2012 2:07 AM PDT
    Okay, I'm all caught up with the recorded stuff. Got to go with the others who said the opening ceremony was boring! Glad I recorded it so I could fast forward to our U.S. athletes entering the stadium and Paul McCartney.

Saw lots of great competitions - both the womens and mens beach volleyball were great. Can't believe the Misty and Kerri have still never lost even a set in any Olympic match!

One sport I never really watched before is the whitewater Slalom Canoe and Kayak, but I'm liking it!. I've got a question for anyone who knows this sport... I get the green gate - downstream and red gate - upstream, but what does it mean when the gate numbers have a slash through them?
    • 16795 posts
    July 31, 2012 4:41 AM PDT
    The gates, which are numbered, must be run in order. Some of the gates, with green and white poles, require the paddler to paddle downstream through them, while others, with red and white poles, require upstream negotiation. The clear gate number shows the side to approach the gate and the red slash side is the exit side of the gate. It is permissable to run a gate in a reverse, or stern first, attitude to make the gate easier to negotiate
  • July 31, 2012 5:14 AM PDT
    Now maybe someone can tell me why in indoor volley ball there is one person on each team wearing a different color uniform?