Some idiots do it on purpose.

• June 15, 2012 10:12 AM PDT
    A week ago I was in El Dorado, AR and a driver of a SUV pulled out in front of me. I saw him coming, and was already on the brakes. I had my wife on back, but thankfully I had time to avoid disaster. However, the guy who pulled out in front of me quickly turned in front of another vehicle to re-enter the mall parking lot. He still wasn't finished. He raced the SUV to the next parking lot exit to get there at the same time I was passing that entrance/exit. He was a young guy in his early 20's. Where is a cop to get these people who are ijuts on purpose before they kill someone?

Today I was coming back from Monroe, LA and going through Bastrop, LA. I was on a 4 lane and the speed limit dropped to 35. I was riding in the right hand lane, near the center line. Suddenly, a white SUV passes me to my right, almost taking out parking meters and a steep curb and perilously close to me and my bike. Luckily, the light ahead turned red and I got to pull up beside him, but I had to make a left hand turn. Once again, this was an ijut on purpose.

I do my best to ride safely, and keep a look out around me so I can get home in one piece and live to do it all over again. I can understand that people make poor decisions, don't think or look, and make mistakes. However, people who are dangerous IJUTS on purpose infuriate me. Do any of you have any stories like this? Or, am I just blessed?

I'm thankful to be alive, and that there wasn't an accident and injuries to me or the bike. Maybe I do need to get a HD, join the Outlaws, Hell's Angels, or some other bad biker club to get a patch. Perhaps if I wear an ammo belt loaded full across my back, and have a shot gun slung across my back with pistol handles sticking out of my riding jacket the ijuts on purpose would leave me be.

Have y'all ever had this, or am I just special?

Sincerely,
    LCStrat
    • 2 posts
    June 15, 2012 10:56 AM PDT
    No doubt, however slight, there are real creeps out there (ask Tweek). - On a motorcycle have only been exposed to odd moments of idiocy or inattention but I will go to my grave swearing that while bicycling people were aiming at me. - There is no doubt in my mind at all.
    If I ever become Emperor one of my 1st edicts will be that people spend a year on a bicycle after getting their Learners Permit and ride 100 miles/year every year thereafter. - Because I want to be a benevolent Emperor I will allow the disabled to substitute a moped.
    If people start watching out for bicycles maybe they notice the motorcycles too. -
  • June 15, 2012 11:15 AM PDT
    People do not care what kind, make or model of a motorcycle you ride. They do not care who you ride with. What ever you do, they will find a way to blame you for what ever that happens. People are petty, miserable, intolerant, ignorant and very much irritated that you even dare to irritate them by just being there

People are people. The more time you spend in traffic on two wheels... well, there is no hiding it.

I actually think that this is a big reason bikers feel better hanging out with other bikers: They all experienced first hand how much people suck 
  • June 15, 2012 11:29 AM PDT

I actually think that this is a big reason bikers feel better hanging out with other bikers: They all experienced first hand how much people suck 

That is a most profound statement

• June 15, 2012 5:12 PM PDT
    All I can say is it happens all the time every day, it more or less "Me first, F--k You". It's the instant information age, it has every one thinking things gotta happen for them Instantly when it don't well they just go ahead and make it happen. Only been hit once by a car, and once by another bike both at red lights. Neither one saw me, it was a good thing I was there to stop them before they went through the busy intersection.............thank goodness for me thinking of the other person cause God knows that weren't thinking of me.....................it;s good though your here, take the time to improve you skills.....have a great one "T"
    • 9 posts
    June 16, 2012 12:20 AM PDT
    Oh, you ARE special LC, just not for this...lol.

Not only are there the "careless" driver's to watch out for, there are those whose lives are so freakin' miserable, they go outta their way to cause that misery in someone (anyone) else. And we are the most vulnerable. I don't care if you've got a lot of miles under your belt, or only a few. You NEED to be hyper vigilante when you ride. Cause, I mean to tell ya, there are sick people out there, who wouldn't mind seeing you bite it.
    And last night, even tho I was in Mommamini, a bunch of these little "jap-crappers" came ROARING around me,
    close enough to trade paint. They were street racin' each other, on a very busy, three lane thoroughfare. Had there
    been a bike in front of me at that moment, well, let's just say there wouldn't be anymore...
    I couldn't get to my phone, to take a pic, cause these guys were flyin'. Cuttin' across three lanes, weavin' dangerously thru traffic...talk about "where's a cop, when you need one"....sheesh

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE, PULEEEEEEZE!!!

Ride Free
    Tweek

• June 16, 2012 12:50 AM PDT
    Tumbles wrote...
    All I can say is it happens all the time every day, it more or less "Me first, F--k You". It's the instant information age, it has every one thinking things gotta happen for them Instantly when it don't well they just go ahead and make it happen. Only been hit once by a car, and once by another bike both at red lights. Neither one saw me, it was a good thing I was there to stop them before they went through the busy intersection.............thank goodness for me thinking of the other person cause God knows that weren't thinking of me.....................it;s good though your here, take the time to improve you skills.....have a great one "T"

Exactly.  It's the "me first" culture in full force. 

Last weekend, I was trying to show my mother how to deal with round-a-bouts (Wisconsin DOT has fallen in love with them), because they are making her take a road test due to a medical condition.  So there I am, trying to show her the right way to negotiate a round-a-bout, when the moron driving right in front of us decides to go through it the wrong way, against traffic, because she wanted to do a U-turn and go back the way she came.  Hey, mom, fer God's sake, don't do it the way *that* idiot just did it.  And it's all just because someone is lazy and doing things the wrong way is easier than doing it the right way (one of my pet peeves, BTW).

• June 16, 2012 2:38 AM PDT
    Wolfpack...........WTF major Ahole that one be, if ya just went around the round about it a "new" version of a U-Turn........LOL!!!!!! man folks are just plain freaking stupid
  • June 16, 2012 3:12 PM PDT
    I think I've got this figured out! Today I was traveling on a 4 lane doing 63 in a 55 and some guy ahead kept slowing down for me to catch him. He was in an Altima. When I got up even he took off and wanted me to race. I think he knew he had no chance if I opened the bike up. Of course, I'm thinking, "I can run off and leave this guy, but what's over that next hill? How much are reckless driving tickets now?"

I think he wanted me to stand it on one wheel and to see the bike run out of sight. Now, my bike is more of a standard, but FZs look way sport bike. Maybe that's part of the problem, that and ijuts on purpose.
  • June 16, 2012 3:50 PM PDT
    Tumbles wrote...
    Wolfpack...........WTF major Ahole that one be, if ya just went around the round about it a "new" version of a U-Turn........LOL!!!!!! man folks are just plain freaking stupid

What just pisses me off about that is the complete disregard for other people's safety just to save a few seconds of inconvenience.

I actually saw one of Iron Mountain's Finest pull a pretty boneheaded move today, too.  In downtown Iron Mountain, US-2 has two northbound lanes and two southbound lanes.  I was in the right-hand southbound lane behind a young kid, stopped at a stoplight.  In the left-hand southbound lane was an Iron Mountain squad car.  He didn't pull all the way up to the white line marking the intersection, he stopped about fifteen feet behind the line, basically in the kid's blind spot.  Just as the light turns green, the squad lights up his cherries and makes a right-hand turn IN FRONT OF the kid ahead of me.  Fortunately the kid reacted quickly and managed to stop before he T-boned the squad car, but it was close. If there would have been an accident, I would have stuck around to make sure the kid didn't get railroaded into getting a ticket or something.  

• 567 posts
    June 17, 2012 1:22 AM PDT
    I think there are a few cagers who just don't like anyone on a motorcycle. I had a guy deliberately attempt to run my wife and I off the road .. the interstate in Tampa. He not only tried it once .. he tried it twice. He had me so rattled, I damn near had to stop right there on the interstate to collect myself to keep from shaking so much.
  • Pat
    June 17, 2012 5:01 AM PDT
    Last year I pulled into K-mart and ya I had my wife on the back seat we seen this car on the right side of the entrance I was already on the brakes becouse it is down hill and of course they turn left right in front of us. I stopped and they stopped right in front of us and looked at us like a deer in the headlights.
    • 9 posts
    June 17, 2012 5:15 AM PDT
    Let me just say, I have been riding for over 40 years & it just keeps getting worse! We do need stricter laws, Kill a biker.... Go to jail!
    • 1855 posts
    June 17, 2012 7:47 AM PDT
    RockBottom wrote...
    Let me just say, I have been riding for over 40 years & it just keeps getting worse! We do need stricter laws, Kill a biker.... Go to jail!

Personally I don't believe, and never did, that any motorcycle organization ought to put themselves above anyone else.  I think the "kill a biker, go to jail" sticker does less for us than we think; i.e. "who are we to put our lives above anyone elses"?

"Kill anyone, go to jail".

As for folks who (seemingly) intentionally endanger us, it is up to "us" to make him/her pay.  Follow 'em, get a license plate number, call LEO, confront them in front of witnesses when they stop.  Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, just pop a cap on the a$$hole and ride away.

• 9 posts
    June 17, 2012 8:17 AM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    RockBottom wrote...

Personally I don't believe, and never did, that any motorcycle organization ought to put themselves above anyone else.  I think the "kill a biker, go to jail" sticker does less for us than we think; i.e. "who are we to put our lives above anyone elses"?

"Kill anyone, go to jail".

As for folks who (seemingly) intentionally endanger us, it is up to "us" to make him/her pay.  Follow 'em, get a license plate number, call LEO, confront them in front of witnesses when they stop.  Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, just pop a cap on the a$$hole and ride away.

I'm beginnin' to believe..."just pop a cap on the a$$hole and ride away".
    Ain't very Christian of me, is it....

Ride Free
    Tweek

• 3006 posts
    June 17, 2012 1:03 PM PDT
    Just a heads up on anyone in California who tries to video tape or use any recording device while driving its against the law here,so a video/picture of the guy with a bad combover in the red ferrari who just cut ya off, n flashed a piece at you,then tries to cut ya off again on the freeway,wont help your cause out !!!

In my mind if the offense is grave enough & their are witness's follow the jerk get the plate# then go pull over call the cops and tell them you are in pursuit of a carjacker who apparently commandered a vehicle which deliberatley tried to run you down, I'll bet that evens the score a bit LOL besides who is gonna believe who ??? ; )

The best offense is a good defense,always drive defensively,yet not afraid to use the throttle to escape impending accidents.!!!

Any day you can drive away from these idiots is a good day,stay outta harms way.I encounter these drivers on a regular basis.
  • June 17, 2012 1:39 PM PDT
    I am having my bike mechanic install the loudest horn available by law here in aTexas....it is very loud! I always have let the idiots know when they mess up as I drive my pickup and I certainly wont hesitate to let them know when I am on my bike. Here in Dallas the traffic is super bad and there are soooo many crazies in cages all all around me as I ride my sporty. I am learning to let folks go around me and I just tell myself they are in a bigger hurry than I am..
  • June 17, 2012 2:38 PM PDT
    I wish I had thought to get the license plate #. The kid wanting to race down the road didn't bother me. I was young once. I do wish I had the other two license #s because I'm afraid they will wind up hurting someone.
    • 1 posts
    June 18, 2012 12:37 AM PDT
    Okay as some one who rides and drives a lot of miles yes some people are bent on me! me! me! They do not care abut you the laws they are breaking or any thing else for that matter and they are growing in numbers. But there is always that "oh duh" moment, and I have had them in both my car, work trucks and motorcycle. like once driving work truck and trailer not a 18 wheeler but a big trailer and truck with lots of weight. You know how many people will whip around and then hit their brakes in front of me. They have no idea what it takes to stop that weight and one time trailer brakes went out. I hit brakes and their was nothing to stop the 6 tons on the trailer I went side ways tyhrough a red light, that was scary as hell.
    On bike was a little road tired had to get home fast medical emergency, almost 5 hours later tired, hot I was coming over a crest on a hill 4 lanes two north two south. I move to fast lane to keep out of way of traffic exiting and entering road. See a bike, had to check it out , should have gotten back over so he could enter road but brain farted and I was trying to fiqure out what year his bike was... So Sorry dude on 03 gunmetal blue bike thursday around Springfeild MO..
  • June 18, 2012 12:48 AM PDT
    Took a short trip up to Gilroy yesterday and the traffic was an MFer and the crazy drivers were out in force so we took all the back roads and long way rounds and actually made for a great ride until we ended back up on the 1 and ended up in a huge slowdown until the highway divided in Monterey County! *phew* Blowing by all those idiots was the last part of the trip but we left about 9:30 in the AM and got home after 5 pmish... fun day.
    • 1855 posts
    June 18, 2012 1:14 AM PDT
    There are alot of places and roads I avoid just to keep from shooting someone. There's a whole lot of this country to enjoy taking back roads and avoided the most populated areas. You can sneak in the back way to just about anywhere. I know alot of folks who believe the interstate is the safest. Maybe it is. I don't know. I just know it's not for me.

In the 10 plus years that I had to travel 140 miles to work I "drove" I-75. Very seldom did I ride my motorcycle. The 'I' was always under construction and there was never, never a morning where there wasn't an accident. I absolutely HATE traffic and I'm going to avoid it if at all possible.

Peace
    • 1 posts
    June 18, 2012 2:44 AM PDT
    I think I better stop reading these posts, you people are scarying the crap outa me. I think I better get a triple over fox tails on bright yellow rod for the back of my bike...and Mt Whippee speaker and jingle happenin for when I'm in the city..just so the cagers are aware I'm there......or I can just ride my usual blind spot em..and kept lane splittin and stay safe.
  • June 18, 2012 2:50 AM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    There are alot of places and roads I avoid just to keep from shooting someone. There's a whole lot of this country to enjoy taking back roads and avoided the most populated areas. You can sneak in the back way to just about anywhere. I know alot of folks who believe the interstate is the safest. Maybe it is. I don't know. I just know it's not for me.

In the 10 plus years that I had to travel 140 miles to work I "drove" I-75. Very seldom did I ride my motorcycle. The 'I' was always under construction and there was never, never a morning where there wasn't an accident. I absolutely HATE traffic and I'm going to avoid it if at all possible.

Peace

Yup I couldn't agree more... took a fun trip a few years ago avoiding all the super slabs I could and found some really nice old highways out there... believe it or not Kansas has a beautiful lonely highway that runs paralel with I-70 to the south old highway 50 and you weren't going 90+ ALL damn day you have to slow down through the towns which actually breaks up all that monotonous boring travel... plus you see a lot of different things that you wouldn't otherwise notice on a super slab... like that town that was devostated by that huge tornado that hit in 2008 and we were rolling through in 2009 and wow, we knew it when we saw it.. rows of foundations with the tops just erased! Rolled through Colorado the same way, the southern portion of the Rockies are a site to seen I'll tell ya! Even cutting around through parts of off the beating path in New Mexico are a hoot!

This year I'll be heading the safe route through Nevada though... stopping off in Elko first and then making my way to Wyoming via Utah I have been on some backroads in Utah and you can go for a while without seeing an civilization... but that is the fun I have about traveling I suppose! :-)

• 2 posts
    June 18, 2012 7:18 AM PDT
    Jonesy1340 wrote...
    I think I better stop reading these posts, you people are scarying the crap outa me. I think I better get a triple over fox tails on bright yellow rod for the back of my bike...and Mt Whippee speaker and jingle happenin for when I'm in the city..just so the cagers are aware I'm there......or I can just ride my usual blind spot em..and kept lane splittin and stay safe.

Think the point of this thread is that some of them aim at you - Ask Tweek, somebody said he was going to kill her & then did his level best to do just that. - Several times while bicycling I had to take to the fields or duck behing immovable objects. There is no doubt in my mind that they were trying to damage me. - There are real creeps out there