I WILL be back on a bike

• June 5, 2012 8:34 AM PDT
     Hey everyone. I know everybody spreads motorcycle awareness, but I'm asking you to do it more. On may 13th, I nearly lost my life on my bike due to a idiot driver. A truck shot across a hwy at night in front of me. I broadsided the truck at 60 mph. I don't remember any of the accident or the ride heading home that night. I have several broken bones, neck and back problems, and a traumatic brain injury that the neurologist says will affect me for the rest of my life. I'm 34 years old, been riding for a long time, and have a lot of years left in me to ride. I WILL be back on a bike as soon as I can ride again!! God was watching over me that night, even though the crash was bad, it could have turned out worse. I am just very thankful that I'm alive and able to continue life with my son. I'm not asking for sympathy, but just to spread the word to "watch out"! I can see what my family is going through, and I know what I'm going through. I've had friends and people I know lose their lives on bikes and still think about them all the time. I know that everything will get better and I'll have another bike soon. I will get back on the horse that bucked me off!! Thanks for your thoughts and for taking the time to read this. My summer of riding is out, but at least I have spring, summers, and falls in the years ahead to look forward to. Ride safe everyone, and watch out for the "other person".

Matt

• 658 posts
    June 5, 2012 9:07 AM PDT
    Matt,
     Sorry to hear that news. Glad you made it through. You and your family are in my prayers.  You're right about getting back on the horse. God speed in your recovery.
    Remember, We're here for ya!
    Medic
    • 601 posts
    June 5, 2012 10:12 AM PDT
    good to hear you're Ok...any bike smash you manage to walk away from is a small miracle, good warning to others and typical biker.....thinking of others !! BTW...nothing wrong with your brain when you are already thinking of riding again...sack that neurologist. Speedy recovery Chubs and best wishes from across the Atlantic
    • 1855 posts
    June 5, 2012 10:27 AM PDT
    Glad you're doing better.  I know what ya mean about being careful.  But as careful as we are there's always some idiot that screws that all to hell.  As some here know, I lost my wife in 2009 because of an idiot cager.  Am I lucky to be alive?  I thank God for every day I have, and though I've met a wonderful lady, I'd give 'em all back to  have saved my Princess.

Stay strong and maybe we'll pass on the road, maybe even wave , U-turn and share some tales.

Peace
  • June 5, 2012 1:09 PM PDT
    Chub I am sorry to hear about your accident. I am so very grateful for you that you survived the crash. I will remember you and your family in my prayers. Things do happen in our lives that are frightening and sometimes may feel unfair. Know this though that Jesus was and still is watching over you. Put your hand in his.
  • June 5, 2012 1:44 PM PDT
    Hi Chub, God was with you that day and knew he was not through with you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Even though I have only been riding a couple of years, I hear these same stories all the time...it is important to be reminded that life is precious and not to be taken for granted. Hugs!
  • June 5, 2012 3:15 PM PDT
    Praying for you Matt. Once a biker it remains in your blood. Glad you made it through the accident and that you are looking forward to better days ahead.
    • 3006 posts
    June 5, 2012 3:47 PM PDT
    Sending good thoughts n prayers,and your most certainly right about the need for awareness.
    I even remind myself that while I sit behind a wheel constantly.We have more idiot cagers per square mile than anyone can believe !!! The summer tourist season only makes it worse !!!

Hope you gain a full recovery,and its better riding then before !
    • 16795 posts
    June 5, 2012 4:26 PM PDT
    Crashing sucks regardless of how it happens, been there a few times my own self.
    God still has plans for you on this green Earth.
    Take time to heal and collect yourself, there is plenty of riding ahead for ya.
    • 19007 posts
    June 6, 2012 12:26 AM PDT
    Tragic in the least. Happy things are going the right direction. Yeah and "Be Careful Out There."
    • 0 posts
    June 6, 2012 12:41 AM PDT
    My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. As always , I do spread the word about safety and watching out, sometimes it's scary even in a cage with all the idiots out there.
  • June 7, 2012 2:17 AM PDT
    Chubs wrote...
     Hey everyone. I know everybody spreads motorcycle awareness, but I'm asking you to do it more. On may 13th, I nearly lost my life on my bike due to a idiot driver. A truck shot across a hwy at night in front of me. I broadsided the truck at 60 mph. I don't remember any of the accident or the ride heading home that night. I have several broken bones, neck and back problems, and a traumatic brain injury that the neurologist says will affect me for the rest of my life. I'm 34 years old, been riding for a long time, and have a lot of years left in me to ride. I WILL be back on a bike as soon as I can ride again!! God was watching over me that night, even though the crash was bad, it could have turned out worse. I am just very thankful that I'm alive and able to continue life with my son. I'm not asking for sympathy, but just to spread the word to "watch out"! I can see what my family is going through, and I know what I'm going through. I've had friends and people I know lose their lives on bikes and still think about them all the time. I know that everything will get better and I'll have another bike soon. I will get back on the horse that bucked me off!! Thanks for your thoughts and for taking the time to read this. My summer of riding is out, but at least I have spring, summers, and falls in the years ahead to look forward to. Ride safe everyone, and watch out for the "other person".

Matt

From what you say it wasn't YOUR Horse that bucked you off mate.....so dont blame your horse at all...just sayin is all...
  • June 7, 2012 4:47 PM PDT
    good luck speedy recovery get back on 2 wheels soon
  • June 7, 2012 8:55 PM PDT
    Godspeed on your recovery and we'll see ya out on the road again one day.
    • 9 posts
    August 10, 2012 4:09 PM PDT
    Hope your recovery is going well, Matt. You're a tough COOKIE. I've been down, due to others' reckless abandon, and I can't say as I envy you that journey. You WILL heal, and you WILL ride again. Don't let the "others" keep you down, bro. God has other plans, or you wouldn't still be here, tellin' your story. You serve as both a warning, and an inspiration! Ride Free, brother, ride free.

Tweek <3