193 mph!! Now THAT would scare me!!

• May 31, 2012 5:38 AM PDT

ROSENDALE, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a 28-year-old man in upstate New York has been charged with driving his motorcycle at nearly 200 mph on a highway in the rain.

State police say a trooper clocked Anthony Anderson of Poughkeepsie driving at 193 mph around 8 p.m. Wednesday in the southbound lanes of Interstate 87 just south of Albany — the same stretch of road where another motorcyclist was spotted doing 166 mph earlier this month.

The trooper was able to get a description of the high-performance bike and alerted nearby patrols.

Troopers eventually stopped Anderson in the town of Rosendale. He told them he was headed to a hospital to visit a patient.

Anderson was issued 14 traffic tickets, including one for speeding.

It couldn't be immediately determined if he had a lawyer.

• 844 posts
    May 31, 2012 5:41 AM PDT
    He don't need a lawyer... He needs a sponsor !!!
    • 3006 posts
    May 31, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
    Just read the article myself, notice how they did not mention the bike make or model,tho apprently the PD were able to get a "description" of the high performance motorcycle. In the rain no less !!! Its unclear if the bike was impounded or the driver arrested?
    I know Ducati was building a custom sport bike that could easliy top out at 230+, with a 50 G's+ price tag they only build a few a year,not sure if they are still building them? I read abt them in cycleworld mag a few years back,there were only a few cars in the world tht could even keep up with tht bike,all going for a lot more $$$$
    At Laguna Seca they usually hit the straightaways doing abt 185+ it is pretty impressive.!!
    • 9 posts
    May 31, 2012 6:50 AM PDT
    My ex rides like that. He mounted a camera on his helmet and took a shot of the speedo, as he was rolling. He got that Honda GXR up to 183 mph., on a main highway, up in Canada. I was shocked when he showed me the tape. He's freakin' crazy...that much I already knew.

Ride Free
    Tweek
  • May 31, 2012 8:29 AM PDT
    British !!!! The Suzuki Hayabusa will do that everyday...
  • May 31, 2012 11:59 AM PDT
    According to this article I would say it was a Hayabusa
    www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/motorcycle-going-193-mph-768923 />
  • May 31, 2012 12:31 PM PDT
    Today's top performance sport bikes are insanely fast. Kawasaki just upped the Hayabusa. The article states that the traction control must be kept on or the rear wheel can and will break loose in any gear in curves, or if the throttle is blipped. The bikes now adhere to a gentleman's agreement to have a rev limiter kick in so the bikes won't exceed 185mph, but those can be overridden if you know where to look.
    OK! It's official. I'm to old for that stuff. Who wants to go that fast on the streets? Selling 150+ hp bikes with less than 450lbs with a full tank of gas to teenagers and early 20 somethings is a ticket for disaster. The question is, how far will they go, and how fast is fast enough? The guys on these things aren't Josh Hayes or Valentino Rossi. But I understand (I was young and thought I was invincible) the desire for the fastest bike on the planet.
    • 2 posts
    May 31, 2012 12:35 PM PDT
      Edgewalker54  described it well,
    The bike was doing what all two wheelers do at 100 mph. Twitches in the steering, wavering slightly because of the truck ruts in the surface and the ever-present “WAAAAAAAA” of the megaphone exhaust. 
    Which is why I can never bring myself to linger above the century mark
  • May 31, 2012 1:28 PM PDT
    The BMW 1000RS, Honda CBR 1000RR, Kawasaki ZX10R, Aprillia Tuono V4, someone else's V4 that I can't recall the make, possibly the Yamaha VMax V4, and the drag race out of the crate kings Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki ZX14R will all do that. The 1000s rev to something like 17g rpms. Those are all track bikes out of the crate. Yamaha's YZR1 only top ends around 170; they are opting to better enable the rider to control the already excessive power on hand. However, Yamaha spares no expense to win in MotoGP, AMA Superbike, and every category they can enter, and has done a good job.
    Now, I'm waiting for next year's comfy sport touring Yamaha FJR 1400 inline 4. With my age came a bit of wisdom. I love the cruiser style and love that HD rumble, but now I need combined comfort for two that handles well and isn't like hurding an elephant in town.
  • May 31, 2012 2:02 PM PDT
    I haven't got the reaction times I did 40 years ago. At 60 I'm happy with a long days leisurely cruse from point A to
    wherever I end up, a good steak dinner, a hot cuppa coffee and a soft bed. with another long, leisurely cruse the following day.
    I do seem to remember two or three incidents in my youth, though. One involving a bus, another involving trying to outrun Motorola!
  • May 31, 2012 3:26 PM PDT
    I'm with you on that 1st. I enjoy watching the races on TV, and hope to attend one sometime, but now I just enjoy the leisure ride.
    • 1780 posts
    May 31, 2012 8:51 PM PDT
    Years ago when I was in the Military in California a friend of mind had a kawa 1000 which back then was considered a high performance bike. well one day as he was leaving the base he decided to open her up.....somewhere around 120 MPH he developed a violent front end shimmy, and that was the last he remembered. He came off and landed on his wallet which instantly turned to dust, and he had road rash marks the size of dinner plates. At least he had a helmet on, which looked like someone took a body grinder to it.
    Call the Dragon an old fart if you want, but I just enjoy the slow roll!
  • May 31, 2012 10:57 PM PDT
    193 MPH in the rain is out of order! The patient he would be visiting is his future self!
  • June 1, 2012 6:38 AM PDT
    hope they're filling out their organ donor cards first
  • June 1, 2012 6:44 AM PDT
    Well at least we wouldn't have been seeing him in the busy ER if he wrecked........Just call the meat wagon!
  • June 2, 2012 1:05 AM PDT
    We had a local kid who tried to outrun the police in a similar situation to that. He was on wet pavement, apparently going a little over 100 mph when the police clocked him. When they pulled out to stop him, he gunned it to get away. He didn't get far; he lost control of the bike a few moments later and dumped it at something like 110-120 mph. He didn't make it. Evidently the crash scene was pretty ugly... pretty big debris field and I don't even like thinking about what the debris was composed of...
  • g
    June 6, 2012 12:42 AM PDT
    COOOL ,LOL
    • 1 posts
    June 6, 2012 12:49 AM PDT
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    Just read the article myself, notice how they did not mention the bike make or model,tho apprently the PD were able to get a "description" of the high performance motorcycle. In the rain no less !!! Its unclear if the bike was impounded or the driver arrested?
    I know Ducati was building a custom sport bike that could easliy top out at 230+, with a 50 G's+ price tag they only build a few a year,not sure if they are still building them? I read abt them in cycleworld mag a few years back,there were only a few cars in the world tht could even keep up with tht bike,all going for a lot more $$$$
    At Laguna Seca they usually hit the straightaways doing abt 185+ it is pretty impressive.!!

At least he didn't kill anybody ....
    • 16795 posts
    June 6, 2012 3:56 AM PDT
    Good thing he doesn't race a Harley in the NHRA Pro-Stock Motorcycle class.
    2 years ago they made the Harleys add 20 pounds of weight,
    last year they took away 20 horsepower,
    this year they made them add another 20 pounds.
  • June 6, 2012 1:51 PM PDT
    Rev, I read where Terry Vance and Byron Hines of Vance and Hines sponsor a pro stock HD. I remember them when Hines built them and Terry raced pro stock Suzuki's. Anything they build to race is gonna fly. Hines said the twins get a 200cc advantage over the fours, and he figured he could take that HD and make it run.
    • 1 posts
    June 6, 2012 1:58 PM PDT
    good luck to him...just don't nudge me as you fly by son....i rode downtown atlanta last time over that was bad enough...
  • June 6, 2012 2:04 PM PDT
    Troopers eventually stopped Anderson in the town of Rosendale. He told them he was headed to a hospital to visit a patient.

Anderson was arrested and issued 14 traffic tickets, including one for speeding.

Anderson was in the Town of Saugerties court and remanded to the Ulster County Jail in lieu of $1500 bond.
  • June 7, 2012 1:18 AM PDT
    blurplebuzz wrote...

It would likely be a Hyabusa...207mph out of the box!!!  Nothing needs to be done to it.....
  • June 7, 2012 1:39 AM PDT

.....Over here we are pushing the limits all the time, and good luck to the guy who dont kill someone, he had a ride he wont forget in a hurry, maybe because he will be impounded like his bike for a while -but- maybe its just because he could!!!

I have done 220mph -so far- on my jet trike...I fitted it up with Dasault Falcon wheels (300mph rated pocketed tyres) all round and disconnected the prop shaft from the road engine and did 220mph on an airfield runway at 38% thrust...now imaging what speeds I "should" be able to get to on 78% thrust?????

Computer puts it at around 380 to 400mph making allowance for wind resistance on a flat air day... I personally reckon it may get as far up as 340mph tops, maybe a bit more, but then, I am a realist too...lol...

See below, this is a picture of "Big Yella" (called Big Yella because its big, and its yellow), I took it on the street outside where I live (30mph street)  here in West London, from a standing start to 130mph and back to 0mph inside standing quarter mile..... 6 photo's taken on a high speed Olympus camera and the 'taker' only got one shot as it was quicker than they could move the camera...lol... and I was carrying someone who had never ever been on any open machine in her whole life, and you should have seen the grin when she got off of it!!!!!

"Speed Limit Officer?  What Speed Limit?"

"Fancy Show Trike?  HAH!!! ~~~~~ Sleeper!!!"

Fastest Sprint Trike in England!!!!!
  • June 7, 2012 1:44 AM PDT
    Sorry about taking over the thread like that but hey, when ya have some - show some.....lol.....