Military % Patch (now available)

• April 27, 2012 1:01 AM PDT

What about a % patch to show the very low percentage of the population of military members in general and in the biker community. Not to be confused with true 1% ers out there. Respect to them.  Just something for the military of all branches of service. Please let me know your thoughts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic Update:

The patches have been made and are available below...

We do encourage you to read through this topic though to see how the patch evolved and the people who are wearing them.

Get Your 7% Military/Veterans Patch

Get Your 7% Supporter Patch

This post was edited by BusinessEditor at September 12, 2017 10:49 AM PDT
  • April 27, 2012 2:03 AM PDT
    Wooster, we just have to get good numbers vs. the population. I looked a few places and came up between 1.5% and 10%. It just depended on the place providing the data.
    • 5417 posts
    April 27, 2012 3:39 AM PDT
    This might help a bit...

As of Dec 31, 2010 there were....

1.4 Million Active Duty U.S. Military Personnel
    0.8 Million Military Reserve
    21.8 Million U.S. Military Veterans (living)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    24 Million Total Active Military Personnel and Veterans (living)

308.7 U.S. Population

So 7.7% of the people in the U.S. were active military, reserve or living veterans (12/31/2010)

• April 27, 2012 3:52 AM PDT
    wow
    • 5417 posts
    April 27, 2012 4:19 AM PDT
    Here ya go...

• April 27, 2012 4:21 AM PDT
    Can you add "keeping our country free for 100% of americans" to the triangle patch? just curious..
  • Pat
    April 27, 2012 4:45 AM PDT
    Lucky I would be proud to put that on my vest I'm an Army Vet. got out in 84 and yes by all means we do give the 1% the respect they have earned but no one gives us the respect we have earned we all gave some and some of our brothers gave all and we never forget.
    • 16795 posts
    April 27, 2012 4:58 AM PDT
    I'm glad I'm one of the "21.8 Million U.S. Military Veterans (living)" as apposed to the alternative.
    • 5417 posts
    April 27, 2012 5:00 AM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    I'm glad I'm one of the "21.8 Million U.S. Military Veterans (living)" as apposed to the alternative.

We are to John!!!

• 16795 posts
    April 27, 2012 5:06 AM PDT
    Thank you my friend.
  • Pat
    April 27, 2012 5:10 AM PDT
    Lucky have you thought of an octagon for the patch it would be different and others will notice and ask what it means
    • 5417 posts
    April 27, 2012 5:38 AM PDT
    OK, another thought... How about I do two patches.  One for those who wore a uniform and one for those who didn't, all profits from sale of the patches will go to various Veterans organizations.

Let me know your thoughts...

• April 27, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
    I have been told by my sources that it was at 5% or less. I'm not sure if they were just counting the active duty alone or not though. I do like the idea of the two patches as well. I was also wondering if we could have a red white and blue border around the out side edge. Not big but suttle. or have it on an amreican flag background. Any thoughts? I am proud to be a vet and both proud and thankful for all of those who came before me. They gave us all a chance to continue their proud heratage. I tell our local WWII vet that when I see him crossing the border.
  • April 27, 2012 6:03 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    Note: I just checked with the COC and some of the ranking local club members I know and it was recommended NOT to use the diamond shape that is similar to the 1% patch.  So if there is interest I will make the rectangular patch below...

I would be honored and proud to wear the 7% patch. USAFSS, SouthEast Asia, 1959-1966.

• Pat
    April 27, 2012 6:05 AM PDT
    the two patch idea is great but why do them the same shape I would like to see our (VETS) patch a unique shape. Every one out there knows a 1% by the shape of there patch if you know what I mean.
  • April 27, 2012 6:13 AM PDT
    i like the 2 patch idea,i would pay for it, i am a vet.82nd.airborne 2bal.504inf.div.1974,75
    • 5417 posts
    April 27, 2012 6:34 AM PDT
    woosterbiker wrote...
    I have been told by my sources that it was at 5% or less. I'm not sure if they were just counting the active duty alone or not though. I do like the idea of the two patches as well. I was also wondering if we could have a red white and blue border around the out side edge. Not big but suttle. or have it on an amreican flag background. Any thoughts? I am proud to be a vet and both proud and thankful for all of those who came before me. They gave us all a chance to continue their proud heratage. I tell our local WWII vet that when I see him crossing the border.

I am pretty sure those numbers (above) are pretty acurate as of 2010, they all came from reliable sources.  The US population came from the Census board, the Vets from the VA, and the active and reserves form the US Military website.

If you (or anyone else) know which of the numbers are inaccurate, please elt me know before I go forward with the patches.

2010 was the most recent year I could obtain accurate data from each.  So maybe with a lot of the WWII and Viet Nan vets passing, the numbers may be going down for living vets. Our military was the highest at those points.  Again, anyone with more recent verified info... please pass it along.

• April 27, 2012 6:56 AM PDT
    I was in the 82nd 309th engineers. 92-94. I also like the idea of a unique patch shape.
    • 5417 posts
    April 27, 2012 7:19 AM PDT
    What do you think of these two, so as to identiy those who served...

• Pat
    April 27, 2012 7:39 AM PDT
    Love the new patch let us know the price for each I'll be happy to pay for the patches
    • 19007 posts
    April 27, 2012 7:50 AM PDT
    Liking the second one for vets. I would definitely wear one. I also would give a few to some of my non biker friends, both vets and supporters.
  • April 27, 2012 7:54 AM PDT
    Very nice. I like the top patch for the vets and the bottom for supporters. Two thumbs up ! ! ! !
    • 5417 posts
    April 27, 2012 8:03 AM PDT
    Okay, I will have the patches made next week. I have a friend of mine who works for a newspaper that is going to have one of their staff researchers verify the numbers so the % is correct before I make them.

I will let you know when they will be available.
  • April 27, 2012 8:06 AM PDT
    both patchs look great.I like the one for vets,and the other is also nice.let us know when you will have them,and how we can get them.I may need a dozen of each.THANKS!!!!!
  • April 27, 2012 9:49 AM PDT
    roger that.