Buying a Crossbones or FLSTSC

• April 6, 2012 3:58 PM PDT
    Thinking of buying one of these bikes. I would appreciate any comments pro or con from any one who owns or has owned one. got one for sale in AZ?
    • 1855 posts
    April 8, 2012 3:26 AM PDT
    Got a pic of the FLSTSC? Just curious. I owned a '97; white with the blue trim. Pretty nice bike. The ride was supurb but I was still into my old shovel so I got rid of it. Great on the road.
    As for the Crossbones....iconic looking but there's a couple of things to consider: The most important I think is if you'll be travelling two-up. If you're a loner on the road it's a cool ride. If you already have a touring bike, HEY! Go for the Crossbones. Still, the springer is a real classic. Ultimately up to you of course.

Peace
  • April 9, 2012 4:29 AM PDT
    I think it depends on what you are getting with the Cross Bones... stock the CB didn't come with bags or a windshield like the Heritage... but if you're just lookin for a bar hopper the CB is a damn nice bike! Plus Harley doesn't make them anymore so they may actually end up a collectable of sorts... the best thing about Softails is that you can mix and match parts to almost any of the parts (cept for the FL and FX front ends). Harley will never give up their Softail flagship the Heritage and I was honstely surprised they discontinued the CB. Either bike would be a good'n just depends one what you plan to do on a bike that make that decision for you.
    • 844 posts
    April 9, 2012 5:21 AM PDT
    I kind of dig the Cross Bones myself. Both great bikes, so I would pick the one that you like best. Otherwise you're gonna always be thinkin' "why did I listen to those people, I should have got the other one"
    • 846 posts
    April 9, 2012 8:53 AM PDT
    Some great suggestion so far and the choice is your's. I like both because of the springer front end and I would grab a Cross Bones as a second bike if I could. Some of the points on the Cross Bones are valid, if you're planning to ride two up you will need to change out the seat and get some passenger pegs. Having riden the Cross Bones you site a little higher due to the springs in the solo seat (so that something to consider). Now the plus on that is the springs in the seat add a little to the ride and makes it a different (smoother) ride then the other Softtails. Then there is the styling. The FLSTSC is Classic styling of earlier HD's. I've found the spring front end to handle much like the standard front end (not like a old school springer front end). The Cross Bones being of the bobber style. So it really comes down to what you would like
  • April 14, 2012 7:39 PM PDT
    To me bags are a must, so i would go with the Heritage. If it is your second bike and you have a touring bike well i think the Crossbones is a no brainer.
  • April 29, 2012 4:26 AM PDT
    Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. I really appreciate your input. Found a good deal on a 2000 flsts with 28,000 miles. It's got the twin cam 88 . Still that 96ci in the Crossbones is pretty enticing...cool hot rod or cool cruiser? @ Jimmy Acorn I've also been looking at one just like you described. I was wondering how the ride is on one, thanks for your input on that. I've been hearing a lot about the twin cams needing the hydraulic cam chain tensioners changed at 28 k. Anyone know about doing that? I've got an old Norton with those and they are a piece of cake to replace.
    • 846 posts
    April 30, 2012 4:58 AM PDT
    Harley has a kit to replace the stock cam tensioner in the early version of the twin cam to the hydraulic ones in the new version of the Twin cams. It also replaces the oil pump so there is some bearing work too if I remember correctly. The original twin cam tensioners where replaced with the hydraulic version in 2006 or 2007 i think.

The newer version doesn't require checking as often, as mines a 2009 and the shop I use has 3 or 4 of the cam tensioner on the counter as a reminder and when I asked there comment was mine has the newer version and I don't need to worry for a while longer.
    • 1855 posts
    April 30, 2012 7:07 AM PDT
    Regarding twin cam tensioners: I converted to gears after mine needed replaced. I'd recommend goiing with the conversion personally.

Heritage Softail Springer? Rides like a dream.
    • 844 posts
    May 2, 2012 5:16 AM PDT
    So Jim, you made your decision as to which one?
    • 4 posts
    June 29, 2023 1:01 AM PDT

I thinkĀ FLSTSC is better