Motorcycle Superstitions, Whats yours

• March 10, 2012 10:30 AM PST
    I was looking at biker superstitions, Things like ride bells, green bikes, and bike blessings.  I never knew the green bike thing went back to WWII.

Supposedly, a green painted motorcycle is bad luck. The legend has it that the Harleys used in World War II were often sitting duck targets, and many military riders got their butts blasted off them. And since they were painted Army green, it eventually translated into modern folklore.

The little iron bell that hangs from a biker's motorcycle is supposed to ward off evil spirits. As the story suggests, these demons exist on all roadways, and when a motorcycle passes by, they grab on to it and begin chipping away at your good luck until finally you have a crash.

The tingling of the bell is said to irritate these demons and prevent them from hitching a ride on your motorcycle.

There's a saying that riding a motorcycle that belonged to someone who is now dead is bad luck.

It's not necessarily that that person was killed on the motorcycle, just that he's now dead. Supposedly, his spirit is still riding that motorcycle along the great highway in the sky, and if he sees you riding his bike in the physical world, he'll knock you off of it.

Anyone have a superstition they would like to share ?
  • March 10, 2012 11:26 AM PST
    I don't have any superstitions, but I believe that tires and brakes if not well maintained will ruin your day in a heartbeat. have a great one! "T"
    • 1161 posts
    March 10, 2012 11:33 AM PST
    Only heard of the bell one 3 years ago on here. Never heard of the others. But I don't care about superstitions them much lol I just like my bell. Lol
  • March 10, 2012 2:54 PM PST
    Rob, I have heard that green bikes were bad luck too but I never know where the superstition came from... I hate Green anyway...
    • 16795 posts
    March 10, 2012 3:00 PM PST
    I never mount a bike from the right side.
    • 3006 posts
    March 10, 2012 3:11 PM PST
    Just curious how does a bike blessing fall under the category of superstition? Maybe the Rev would like to answer that one LOL ? ..

Seriously I think the bell thing is kool,who cares about if it works or not the bells usually are like an eye candy, & a good way to keep a loved one in mind while riding.

My only supersition when riding is having my ignition key always face up,I just like it tht way.Yet I guess tht would qualify as one.?
    • 16795 posts
    March 10, 2012 3:18 PM PST
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    Just curious how does a bike blessing fall under the category of superstition? Maybe the Rev would like to answer that one LOL ? ..

There are folks that will not go without one, at least once a year for some.

• March 11, 2012 5:50 AM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    I never mount a bike from the right side.

Hey man, I HAVE to get on from that side with my badly busted up left leg...lol...Cant take the direct weight on my left leg when getting on and off...lol...
    • 16795 posts
    March 11, 2012 6:16 AM PDT
    It's just a quirk I've always had.
    If for some reason like bikes are parked tight next to one another and I have to get on from the right I'll pull my bike out from where it was parked get off to the right and remount from the left before riding off.
    • 638 posts
    March 11, 2012 6:19 AM PDT
    I rode a green bike for years and never had any bad luck on it. I did have a bell on it ....just in case
    • 580 posts
    March 11, 2012 8:24 AM PDT
    Only ever heard of the Ride Bell one when I joined here and was very kindly sent one from a good friend. Hearing it ring when I'm out riding lets me know I'm never riding alone, and I always give it a jingle when I park Ethel up in the garage when I get home because I know it's done it's job of protecting me. :oD
  • March 11, 2012 8:32 AM PDT
    chocmintz wrote...
    Only ever heard of the Ride Bell one when I joined here and was very kindly sent one from a good friend. Hearing it ring when I'm out riding lets me know I'm never riding alone, and I always give it a jingle when I park Ethel up in the garage when I get home because I know it's done it's job of protecting me. :oD

Hey, seeing as you give yours a jingle as you park it up reminded me so...
    Does this count as some kind of superstition?

I always pat whichever machine I have been riding and thank it as I put it away in the garages...lol...

...and a bell would be no good on my messed up Harley...lol...turned a 1340 evo into a 1402 full stage and with drag pipes its just about the loudest bike in UK...lol...as I ride ANY road parked cars alarms go off as I go by...hahahahaha!!!!!  So there is no chance of me hearing it ringing as I ride...lol...
  • March 11, 2012 8:33 AM PDT
    Welp superstitions don't enter into for me, it's all about good maintenance and a good state of repair. :-)
  • March 11, 2012 8:35 AM PDT
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    Just curious how does a bike blessing fall under the category of superstition? Maybe the Rev would like to answer that one LOL ? .

From what I read there are alot of non-religious people that get their bike bleesed, and that makes it a superstition I guess.

• 580 posts
    March 11, 2012 8:42 AM PDT
    Jetman wrote...
    chocmintz wrote...

Hey, seeing as you give yours a jingle as you park it up reminded me so...
    Does this count as some kind of superstition?

I always pat whichever machine I have been riding and thank it as I put it away in the garages...lol...

...and a bell would be no good on my messed up Harley...lol...turned a 1340 evo into a 1402 full stage and with drag pipes its just about the loudest bike in UK...lol...as I ride ANY road parked cars alarms go off as I go by...hahahahaha!!!!!  So there is no chance of me hearing it ringing as I ride...lol...

Yes Jetman probably - and ALWAYS pat Ethel's tank too and say thank you lol
  • March 11, 2012 8:56 AM PDT
    It's not really a superstition but my Husband always has this thing like: when we are going to a Rally the bikes don't leave the garage 48 hours prior to leaving, he says it's bad luck & it does seem like it is to our friends that ride with us. it never fails if one of our friends go riding the night before, seems like they get a flat tire or some other issue with their bike.
    • 601 posts
    March 11, 2012 12:14 PM PDT
    no matter how long or short my journey i always run my hand over what I can see of my back and front tyres, used to do it years back when tyres weren't great quality, but even with the new compounds i still do it, maybe not so much a superstition as a safety check....but i don't feel right unless i do it, even after a garage fill-up or a smoke break. i always reckon, I'd rather have a cut hand than a blow-out !!!!
  • March 13, 2012 9:54 AM PDT
    I always tell the scooter "Thanks for getting me home", so I would say I fall into the superstition crowd.
    • 26 posts
    July 17, 2018 12:20 PM PDT

Nothing wrong with Green bikes.I have been riding mine every day for 6yrs,with no problems at all.And the pervious owner was killed on it.I do have a bell, that was sent to me by a friend though.

• 42 posts
    July 18, 2018 10:55 PM PDT

I ride w/ a poem and a prayer ... the poem is engraved on the back of my sissybar .... and the prayer is a St. Christopher medal glued to the gas cap. I also have a bell as well. I also have plans to have her blessed.

• 19007 posts
    July 19, 2018 6:14 AM PDT

Medicine Bag on the bars

• 26 posts
    January 17, 2019 2:23 PM PST

[blockquote]Deleted Member said: I don't have any superstitions, but I believe that tires and brakes if not well maintained will ruin your day in a heartbeat. have a great one! "T"[/blockquote]

I ride a 2 tone Green Kawasaki Nomad, that a bloke got killed on.The poor bastard was unlucky.I bought it for peanut money,and have ridden it every day for the last 6yrs..In my opinion,it's the best looking bike in the world.If i thought otherwise,i would'nt own it.

• 4 posts
    January 25, 2019 6:42 AM PST
    [blockquote]mick56 said:

Nothing wrong with Green bikes.I have been riding mine every day for 6yrs,with no problems at all.And the pervious owner was killed on it.I do have a bell, that was sent to me by a friend though.

[/blockquote] Is that A land cruiser hiding in the garage?
    • 26 posts
    January 25, 2019 8:04 AM PST

[blockquote]RevBigJohn said: I never mount a bike from the right side.[/blockquote]

I live in the UK,so i have to.Not only because that is what side the stand is on,but i am right handed too.

• 26 posts
    January 25, 2019 8:08 AM PST

No mate.That's a 1968 Landrover series 2a.A proper barn find.It's been restored since that photo was taken.Now up for sale.

This post was edited by mick56 at January 25, 2019 8:15 AM PST