NASCAR - "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines"

• 5419 posts
    February 21, 2012 5:44 PM PST
    It's finally here!!!!  The Daytona 500 and the kick-off of the 2012 NASCAR season is this Sunday, and it seems like I have been waiting forever.

Looking forward to some of the rivalries to carry over from last year so we can start right up with some good hard racing!!!

We'll be doing our traditional (at least for the past few years, its become our tradition)  watching the race at Sporty's in Corona with our good friends Russ & Cindy (the BikerCrap people). 

Daytona's always one of my favorite races and I'm gonna predict Edwards takes his first win of the season in the first race of the season!
    • 567 posts
    February 21, 2012 9:30 PM PST
    I'll be cheering for the 48 car ... and, whoever is in front of the 18.
    It seems like the "off season" has lasted forever.
  • February 21, 2012 11:00 PM PST
    yea lucky lookin forward to another sprint cup season.edwards and kyle busch are going to be tough this year i think. stewart , dale jr. and gordon will be fast too.but im curious to see kasey kane in hendrick equipment.
  • February 21, 2012 11:10 PM PST
    I am wishing the 88 car can get things going his dad was my favorite driver for years and I was hoping Jr. could carry on thr tourch.
    • 16795 posts
    February 22, 2012 4:30 AM PST
    Being raised around a plethora of different automotive genres I just plain love racing.
    I'm a anybody in the Force bunch fan in NHRA, I've always loved the Funny Cars since day one of them being raced, I really dig the Pro Mods too.
    I'm a Denny Hamlin fan in NASCAR, before him it was Rusty Wallace, and before him David Pearson.
    I also enjoy going to one of our local dirt tracks and watching folks I know race.
    • 16795 posts
    February 22, 2012 4:40 AM PST
    When was the last time "The Sarg" won an event? :-)
  • February 22, 2012 4:53 AM PST
    I've had the opportunity to work with Gilliland he is actually from Chino, CA. I always hope he does well and will always be a fan. With that being said I am not a Kyle Busche fan but he is by far the most talented driver in the field. Having pulled the car out of a side spin at 197 mph on 2 occasions during the Bud Shoot Out tells you he is the cream of the crop and will definately amaze us with his skills.

But my favorite driver is Juan Montoya in the Target 42 car. Not sure why, but I like his eat crap attitude and he really just doesn't care about other driver's opinions. So go Paco Taco! (as my friends refer to him as)

Being a Sprint car driver pit reporter and infield interviewer I've had the chace to interview a lot of talent over the past few years. Some of these drivers are now making their debut in the NASCAR scene via Camping World Truck series and Nationwide series and some sprint cup races. Cole Whitt being one of the young drivers to raise to the occasion. I watch NASCAR races by turning it on every TV in the house so no matter what room I am cleaning I can watch. Of course then theres the NASCAR nap which I also look forward to.......
    • 1161 posts
    February 22, 2012 6:13 AM PST
    Was never into NASCAR until a year before Dale died. I was rooting for him, Michael Waltrip, and his boy JR. Michael Waltrip I always liked him and Mark ( now "the kid") Martin, they both have great attitudes and would like to have a beer with them and BS some day. Dont have a favorite driver any more but have not had any one to me really shine with the quality of the older drivers we all remember in the past.
    • 16795 posts
    February 22, 2012 7:38 AM PST
    Black9 wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    When was the last time "The Sarg" won an event? :-)

You just HAD to bring that up didn't ya? LOL

Things just haven't been the same since Allan Johnson left.
    I do root for anyone racing against Johnson's dragsters. :-)
    Funny how both his drivers left him.

• 16795 posts
    February 22, 2012 7:45 AM PST
    RaceAngel wrote...
    Being a Sprint car driver pit reporter and infield interviewer I've had the chace to interview a lot of talent over the past few years. Some of these drivers are now making their debut in the NASCAR scene via Camping World Truck series and Nationwide series and some sprint cup races. Cole Whitt being one of the young drivers to raise to the occasion. I watch NASCAR races by turning it on every TV in the house so no matter what room I am cleaning I can watch. Of course then theres the NASCAR nap which I also look forward to.......

I watch the Blaneys run sprints locally, to bad Dave's NASCAR stint hasn't been stellar.
    He has never won, but he always seems to qualify for the races.

• Ry
    February 23, 2012 5:44 AM PST
    the Gatorade twin 125's are running now....see nascar.com for feed,in-car, and track cameras plus live position updates...
    • 601 posts
    February 23, 2012 8:01 AM PST
    I saw this live a few years back in Chicago speedway, really enjoyed it, thats say a lot from a guy who never drove a car in his life and could never understand why they drove around in a circle for hours...the whole experience of the race and the sideshows was cool.
    • 5419 posts
    February 23, 2012 9:39 AM PST
    Ouch, Danica hit the wall pretty hard at the Gatorade Duels at Daytona!  But thankfully no injuries!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_wtzioHXq8I />

And we now have the starting grid for Sunday's Daytona 500....

1. Carl Edwards
    2. Greg Biffle
    3. Tony Stewart
    4. Matt Kenseth
    5. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    6. Regan Smith
    7. Marcos Ambrose
    8. Jimmie Johnson
    9. Jeff Burton
    10. Elliott Sadler
    11. Michael McDowell
    12. Joey Logano
    13. Kevin Harvick
    14. Kyle Busch
    15. AJ Allmendinger
    16. Jeff Gordon
    17. Robby Gordon
    18. Ryan Newman
    19. Jamie McMurray
    20. Kasey Kahne
    21. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
    22. Mark Martin
    23. Brad Keselowski
    24. Dave Blaney
    25. David Ragan
    26. Martin Truex Jr.
    27. Aric Almirola
    28. Kurt Busch
    29. Danica Patrick
    30. Clint Bowyer
    31. Denny Hamlin
    32. Bobby Labonte
    33. David Gilliland
    34. Joe Nemechek
    35. Juan Pablo Montoya
    36. Casey Mears
    37. Paul Menard
    38. David Reutimann
    39. Landon Cassill
    40. Trevor Bayne
    41. David Stremme
    42. Tony Raines
    43. Terry Labonte

• 16795 posts
    February 23, 2012 10:03 AM PST
    Danica Patrick starts in front of Hamlin.
    Darian Grubb made his first pitting mistake, and his ex-boss won.
    Coincidence or what?
    • 5419 posts
    February 25, 2012 1:12 PM PST
    Wow, waht an ending at the Nationwide today. Wreck in turn 4 takes out all the leaders and young James Buescher comes from the 11th spot for his first ever NASCAR win - at Daytona!!!

Can't wait for tomorrows race!!!
    • 16795 posts
    February 25, 2012 5:04 PM PST
    If the 500 is anything like both the trucks and Nationwide races they'll be more wreckers than checkers. :-)
    • 5419 posts
    February 26, 2012 2:18 AM PST
    Ok, we're ready for some racing!!!!

The only thing about watching stuff like this on the west coast is that I just drug my butt out of bed and already have to get moving to meet everyone out at Sporty's to watch the race.
  • February 26, 2012 2:54 AM PST
    I hope they can get the race in today. Been pretty rainy here in north FL this morning

Go Stewart!!
    • 16795 posts
    February 26, 2012 5:26 AM PST
    Go figure it's sunny with blue skies up here on Lake Erie, raining in Daytona.
    • 567 posts
    February 26, 2012 11:26 AM PST
    This is the driest part of the year here in Sunny FL. But what have we got for THE biggest race day of the year? Friggin rain. Damn !!!
    Oh well, at least I'm off work tomorrow.
    • 5419 posts
    February 26, 2012 11:21 PM PST
    Damn, that was disappointing. Rushed around to get everything done to leave at 9am yesterday to get to Sporty's in time for the race... and no race. Now I had to get up at 4:30 this morning to get a bunch of stuff done so I can take a few hours off to watch the race.
  • February 27, 2012 12:04 AM PST
    Get on it Lucky...3 hours to race time!!! I wonder how many people that had tickets can't go now because of work...flights etc...that would be disappointing as hell. I am going to have to DVR the race and watch tonight.
    • 5419 posts
    February 27, 2012 1:35 AM PST
    Just heard NASCAR president Mike Helton announced the Daytona 500 will be delayed until 7 pm ET today. Looks like we'll see a complete race under the lights. It's gonna change the strategy racing on a cold track! Should be interesting to say the least.

They really need to get this race done today. It's not like next week is just down the street, they need to get these cars and crews heading out to Phoenix pretty quick here!
  • February 27, 2012 1:39 AM PST
    I know we are all curious how Danica will do really, even though we have our favorites
    • 5419 posts
    February 27, 2012 1:50 AM PST
    Danica is going to do just fine if she can get rid of that damn Gremlin that's been in her car all weekend.  Right up until each of the incidents she was doing real well.  Don't think she is a contender for the win, but hopefully a good Daytona finish.  Maybe someone needs to get her a Ride Bell !!!

I still think Stewart has a real good chance for the win!