Going to the Nude Beach for the First Time???

• February 13, 2012 4:03 AM PST
    Here's the situation.  My husband and I go to Florida every year in the winter to visit the kids and grand kids.  This year we are also going to spend a week or so at the beach with friends of ours from up here in Maine who have a place down there.  These friends enjoy going to the nude beach and want us to go with them... said we would love it.

No hubby and I are not prudes by any means, however we are in what you would call our twilight years and have never been to a nude beach... or nude in public anywhere.

I was hoping that there are some of you out there who have been to a nude beach and could share some insight.  Here are our concerns...
    1. As I said we are in our twilight years, would we be out of place or be laughed at?
    2. Do you have to get nude right away, or can we "get used to it" before taking off our swim suits?
    3. Are there any rules or no - nos we should know about?
    4. Are people going to "hit" on us (swinger type stuff)?
    I hope you guys don't find me silly for asking.  We really want to give it a try, but are a little nervous.
    • 823 posts
    February 13, 2012 4:16 AM PST
    Got me to thinking. Can't help from my own experience but here is a link. I am sure there are lots more places to research online. http://matadornetwork.com/bnt/10-travelers-tips-for-rocking-a-nudist-beach/
  • February 13, 2012 4:16 AM PST
    Actually...going to a nude beach is one of the most liberating experiences you'll ever have. You will see all sorts of sites, all shapes of people....sometimes you'll have a beautiful shadow pass over your body as you lay basking in the sun and then you'll swear there's a total eclipse. You will not be laughed at...and you will not be the only people on the beach thinking the same thing. If it is an established nude beach there will be rules to ensure your safety and enjoyment. No sex in public, and no relieving yourself in public. You are not required to get nekked if you do not wish to. Do it in layers if that makes you more relaxed. People can be friendly, or they may remain in their own little worlds.You may get hit on....take it as a compliment and enjoy the experience.

Personally....I absolutely love the nude beach.
  • February 13, 2012 4:20 AM PST
    wear sunscreen!
  • February 13, 2012 5:02 AM PST
    Careful sitting in the Sand
  • February 13, 2012 5:09 AM PST
     ...not sure if my story will help...but I sure enjoy telling it !

.....bout five years ago I started taking Chili and her son down to Ocracoke Island, right off the Coast of Cape Hatteras in the Outer Banks.
    Its a narrow barrier Island that used to be part of the shipping routes back in the Colonial Days, and Black Beard himself used to hang out 
    there and plunder hapless vessels that happened by. Matter of fact he was killed right out side the lagoon in his last sea battle.

Anyway..its a free ferry ride to get out there, that takes about 30 minutes. At one end of the Island is a National Park  that you can camp in right 
    off the beach. Ive been there many times, and knew the routine to get one of the best camp sites...a "dune site" that had your own private
    trail up through the dunes and on to the beach. You can have fires on the beach but you have to bring your own  wood as its scarce and
    expensive in town. You can also have open liquor on the beach as long as you clean up...and this means burrying your fire when your done.
    I turned Chili and her son on to it, as they had never been there before.

Well...last we were there, about 5 years ago we took Chili,s son and a friend of his. The deal was they could come and have a blast 
    camping on the beach for two weeks...but they had to be our personal slaves every night and carry fire wood and chairs down
    to the beach for us...Hey..Im no fool..  

...Anyway...one night we were down hanging out on the beach, just the two of us, with a half gallon of Capt Morgan a bag of ice and 
    a couple of heavy crystal drinking glasses that I like to drink out of. It was around 2 am in the morning and the fire was still going strong.
    We had killed better then half of the Rum and were feeling no pain. The beach was barren of people and the boys had gone to bed
    hours ago. Suddenly Chili rose up out of her beach chair and began to strip ALL her clothes off. I sat there a bit stunned at her actions
    but soon a big ol smile began to creep across my face as I watched her begin to dance around the fire....totally naked.
    So me not wanting to be left out, rose up and quickly shed my shorts and t shirt and joined her dancing around the fire, both of us dancing
    around this roaring fire naked as a couple of jay bords ..chanting and laughing.

..Thats when she suddenly broke off and ran down to the water, me in hot pursuit. I caught her right at the waters edge and we embraced
    and began to kiss pationately. I slowly took her down and we made love right there on the beach, with the warm waves washing over us.
    I have to say it was THE most romantic moment of my life so far.  When we were done we got up...got dressed...and headed back to camp
    for the night. Whether anyone saw else is anyones guess....but I can tell you one thing...at that moment in time...we didnt really care.

...Chili would kill me if she knew I was telling this story...but shes still out of town till Saturday Night...so the cat will play.. 
    • 5417 posts
    February 13, 2012 5:33 AM PST
    Hi Toni,

Laura and I love the nude beach and even have taking vacations to nude resorts.  Nude beaches and resorts are not sexual or about "swinging" unless it is a private beach or resort specifically for that. I actually find non-nude beaches to be more of that with people walking around in the sexiest swim suits they can wear.

To answer your questions

1. As I said we are in our twilight years, would we be out of place or be laughed at?  Not at all.  People at nude beaches are very open minded (of course) and accept everyone.  We actually find a good number of people at nude beaches to be our age, any many who are older,
    2. Do you have to get nude right away, or can we "get used to it" before taking off our swim suits?  Usually it is just fine to take a little while to get comfortable before being nude.  Most public nude beaches don't actually require you to be nude, but it is generally frowned upon if you go there clothed to just look at others.  If you are with a group in which others are nude, you are normally ok.  Some private nude beaches and resorts will ask you to leave if you stay clothed to long.
    3. Are there any rules or no - nos we should know about?  There are some general rules that apply to most: Do NOT take any pictures of the people at a nude beach.  If you want to take a picture of someone you are with, ensure no one you don't know appears in the frame; Display of public affection and touching are frowned upon.  This makes others feel uncomfortable and provides fuel for those who want nude beaches shut down;  Be considerate of other peoples space.  Many like you are a little anxious the first few times at a nude beach and feel uncomfortable if you put your blanket right next to theirs, or come up to them and engage in conversation.
    4. Are people going to "hit" on us (swinger type stuff)? Not usually.  Again nude beaches and resorts are not sexual.  However their are some private beaches and resorts that are for swingers.  Laura and I always call ahead before going to a private resort to ensure it is NOT a "swingers" resort.
    In addition to the general rules above their are a few common courtesies that should be observed...

Do NOT stare or point at others.

Do not sit or stand in an inappropriate mnanor

Do not take to long to apply sunscreen to yourself

Do not apply sunscreen to your anyone else (even your spouse) with the exception of areas they cant' reach on their back

When getting something out of the ice chest, bend at the knees, not the waist (Laura and I had an experience with the guy next to us and the image is burned into my brain)

And this is a VERY important rule I learned from experience... Never, and I mean NEVER take your dog to a nude beach and let him run loose.  Your dog will introduce himself to others but putting his nose where it just don't belong!  Then you can't even call your dog back because you don't want to admit he's yours . And depending on who he introduced himself to, you may not even want him back!!! 

So go and enjoy yourself!!!

• 0 posts
    February 13, 2012 8:16 AM PST
    OK KIDS Y'ALL KNEW I WOULD CHIME IN ABOUT KNOW WITH A RIPPA YARN..
    Well I know it wont come as a secret to any of you with my shyness and all that I have been to a nude beach or two in my time..One that I experienced when I was living in the states was in Florida..It was a resort set up thing..The sheila I was seeing in NY knew some people down in Florida and they had invited us down there for a few days to escape winter..Me being me I thought "shit yeah" anything to get out of shoveling snow for a few days,so flights were booked and plans were made..The flight down was pretty uneventful and we arrived in Florida to be met by Chriss's friends and taken to a bar for me to acclimatize to the weather and get a buzz on..Well sufficiently buzzed and introduced to our hosts of we toddle to the resort..A large gated place with immaculate garden and water feature and a private beach and a whole lotta people not wearing any bloody clothes..I did a double take when I saw the first of them..Well it seems my girl neglected to tell me it was a nudist resort..When in Rome..So we got to the unit we were staying in and old BOOF drops the togs and it was time to hit the beach..Now this all sounds good dont it? Yeah we it was ,to a point.See you mob this was 10 years ago and the old BOOF here was a mere slip of a lad at 32 and in alot better shape than you find his broken down bloated carcass these days..The rest of the guest were retiree's and had a hell of a lot more wrinkly bits than my girl and I..This wasnt that big a deal until we began getting invites to parties all over the place..Turns out it was a swingers and nudist resort and we were"fresh meat" in a kinda way..It all worked out ok as most people in the lifestyle understand when you tell them you arent and dont push the issue..My advise is go into it with an open mind.Dont do anything you arent comfortable with.The big one SUNSCREEN all the untouched by the sun bits before you get ya bits out....CHEERS BOOF
    • 601 posts
    February 13, 2012 9:40 AM PST
    if ya have to think deeply about it Toni.......its not worth doin'.
  • February 13, 2012 3:56 PM PST
    I'm 53 and would be way nervous. And what if a hot girl made you know who, who has a mind of it's own, show out? What in the heck would I say?
  • February 13, 2012 4:08 PM PST
    LCStrat wrote...
    I'm 53 and would be way nervous. And what if a hot girl made you know who, who has a mind of it's own, show out? What in the heck would I say?

Happy to see you?

• 0 posts
    February 13, 2012 4:21 PM PST
    LMAO FISHY....
  • February 18, 2012 2:20 AM PST
    Well thanks for all the feed back. Sounds like we have nothing to worry about so we are going to go for it. We'll let you know how it goes.

And don't worry Lucky, I will NOT bring the dog... the was a hilarious lesson you learned there!!!!
    • 1780 posts
    February 18, 2012 2:54 AM PST
    Well the Dragon has partaken in some nudity down in Old Mexico .......actually without the aid of boose. Like Crammer would say...........I'm out there and I'm loving it!!!!!
    I assure you no one will care about you except maybe you......unless maybe you kick sand on someone's sandwich!
    I say GO FOR IT!!!
    Nude Dragon
    • 10 posts
    February 18, 2012 2:57 AM PST
    Like Lucky said, he makes great points. I started at a nude resort,(in the keys) by the pool, and worked up to nude beach, even though I grew up in the "60's". OUr mind is our own worst enemy, so if your not comfortable, dont undress, or just be like you would on any other beach. Your choice, and also if your going with friends, you may or may not be comfortable being around them. Just my thoughts.
    • 7 posts
    February 18, 2012 3:03 AM PST
    BMWToni wrote...
    ...Sounds like we have nothing to worry about so we are going to go for it. We'll let you know how it goes.

Sounds like you have it figured out. But, since the wife and I frequent the local nude beaches and we're no spring chickens (pusing 50), I thought I'd go ahead and chime in.

Relax and be yourself. Treat it nearly the same as you would any other public circumstance. And remember, we all have our flaws... and our positives; each and every one of us. No one is better - or lesser - just different. If you're approached and it's unwelcome just politely say so. If someone gets out-of-line handle it just as you would any similar public circumstance... I'm repeating myself. Best of luck! Relax and enjoy!

• February 18, 2012 3:51 AM PST
    Hmmmm don't have any Nude Beaches around here but I've been to enough Rallies so the nudity thing wouldn't phase me!I would say Go For It & Have A Great Time!!
    • 19004 posts
    February 18, 2012 5:00 AM PST
    Been there done that! But I was only three....HA!
  • February 18, 2012 6:14 AM PST
    Ice Bear gottem funny nude story fer ya....

In the early days of Gail n I when we were just shacking up she decided to have a yard sale.

She had this two drawer file cabinet that was bought by a young couple in their early twenties...They took this cabinet to their car n then
    sat in their car in front of our house for about a half hour.....The young man finally got out of the car and approached
    Gail holding out a picture and said...We were wondering if you wanted this picture...Welll.. lo n behold it was a picture of Gail sitting on a John Deer
    tractor wearing nothing but a smile....

We thought it was so funny because those kids sat there for quite awhile trying to get the nerve to return the pic without embarrasment.

And that was when I first found out that Gail was a nudist before she met me...LOL   I do respect it but it's not my thing...
    Ice Bear...Be Well....
  • February 18, 2012 8:51 AM PST
    BMWToni, hum well its like going to the beach, but naked, It won't be want you think it will be. have a great one "T"
    • 1161 posts
    February 18, 2012 3:05 PM PST
    I have looked into nudest areas, because to be with something on to me feels odd unless I'm out riding ( even tho there are riders nudest clubs). May be some day. But like Lucky said. If there happens to be children there talking to them for more then a hello is forbidden. Just an FYI.
  • February 18, 2012 3:54 PM PST
    I'm planning a trip right now a& one of my Victory Forum members owns a Spa & offered a great deal. It's "Clothing Optional"

Their web site may give you some insight. I'm not a perfect body so get a bit self concious but hey GO FOR IT 

www.LivingWatersSpa.com />
    I think after a long day on the road what the hay! My body deserves a break. So does my mind.

Hope this helps ya.
    • 395 posts
    February 21, 2012 1:10 AM PST
    After a few minutes it will sink in that it's not like a regular beach...people don't stare and judge...you will relax into it very quickly...enjoy the sun...apply sunscreen before you get there if possible....and have fun!
    • 9 posts
    February 21, 2012 1:40 AM PST
    Ya know, I've always been curious about these places, but just never had the nerve to try one. Funny, considering I would show the twins, at the drop of a hat, whenever someone shouted at a rally, or on Main Street, Daytona. And I got the framed "exposure" ticket hangin' on the wall to prove it! lmao! I just didn't have the rest of the body confidence to go "au naturel". I'm not sayin' in NEVER happened, but when it did, I hardly remembered it the
    next day. Oops...
    Now, I'm a little too long in the tooth so to speak to even feel remotely comfortable doin' it. I still have a reasonably
    good figure, and all, but I've grown prudish in my "old age". And I rather think that's reserved for someone special.
    Course, he might wonder what all the fuss is about...

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 7 posts
    February 21, 2012 3:05 AM PST
    To each their own Tweek... not for everyone but, anyone tempted should give it a try. We find it wonderful. The sunshine on the bod' is as nice as that wind in your face while your cruizing down a country road on a warm spring morning - IMHO anyway :-))