Front wheel bearings

• Ry
    February 11, 2012 12:14 PM PST
     Have a small vibration in my Nomad's front wheel. I pulled it, and found some scoring from the bearings on the axle shaft. Typically, I've found this is due to either lack of functional lubrication, or the beginning of failing bearings. Since the lube was still pretty good I think I may need to change the bearings out, but they press in from only one side. My question is: Does anyone know where I might find a press (or how I can construct one) to press out the old bearings and replace them?
    • 130 posts
    February 11, 2012 12:29 PM PST
    No experience with replacing them but I've seen them knocked out from the back side using a large punch. Do you think that might work for you?
  • Ry
    February 11, 2012 12:55 PM PST
    I might be able to. I'm just a little concerned about damaging the speedo coupling.

**Thanks for the help Mike. I got it. 
    • 26 posts
    July 17, 2018 1:31 PM PDT

[blockquote]Deleted Member said: No experience with replacing them but I've seen them knocked out from the back side using a large punch. Do you think that might work for you?[/blockquote]

Take the circlip out from the right hand side.then punch the bearing out from the other side.The left bearing will probably drop inside the wheel,along with the spacer.Get it back in the hole,and punch it back through.