Thought I'd share this with my fellow Harley owners/riders!

• October 24, 2011 6:46 AM PDT

Harley-Davidson Recalls 250,757 Motorcycles To Fix Brakes

Motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson Inc. is recalling certain touring motorcycles, trikes and models from its Custom Vehicle Operations or CVO from the 2009 through 2012 model years. The reason for the recall is that the rear brake-light switch could be damaged by heat from the bikes’ exhaust systems.

According to a document filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the recall includes a total of 250,757 models built from June 6, 2008 through Sept. 16, 2011. The company says it knows of one alleged crash attributed to the defect.

Read the complete article in the Wall Street Journal

• 846 posts
    October 24, 2011 8:56 AM PDT
    Thanks I will be expecting a notice in the mail when I get home to night or tomorrow.
  • October 24, 2011 4:41 PM PDT
    The number went up above 308,000 now.
    • 1855 posts
    October 25, 2011 4:29 AM PDT
    While the bike is a good deal cooler for the rider, thanks to the underside crossover, the heat is confined to an area too close to sensors/switch. Personally, the recall will not change that IMHO because it is what it is. The proposed "brake light kit" remedy doesn't seem like much of a fix to me. Harley should give everyone affected "true duals" and that would eliminate the cross over and the problem. Of course that's cost prohibitive to be sure.
    • 5420 posts
    October 25, 2011 6:39 AM PDT
    Thanks Black9 for bringing this to our attention.  We have posted the complete recall details here...

Harley-Davidson Touring Model Recall

• October 25, 2011 7:15 AM PDT
    Lucky
    about to rent the new Switchback. whats your take on safety and reliability. Planning to ride the coast from laguna to Longbeach.
    Mary
    • 19043 posts
    October 25, 2011 7:18 PM PDT
    This isn't Lucky but I don't see any safety or reliability problems with that bike. If I could have two that would be my second. The Dyna has been around for years. Have a safe trip.
    • 1 posts
    October 26, 2011 5:01 AM PDT
    Have never actually seen or heard about the problem they are talking about, but I'm sure it must of happened to more than just one bike to issue a recall.

But it is the bakes you're talking about, and as I have said many times before, there are two thinks you never take any chances with - BRAKES and TIRES. Problems with either could KILL you. Most other problems on a bike result in inconvenience.
  • October 26, 2011 7:05 PM PDT
    I just picked up my Switchback today and WOW, I haven't felt this good about about a new bike since my 87 FXLR!!!
    • 1855 posts
    October 27, 2011 12:20 AM PDT
    Black9 wrote...
    I just picked up my Switchback today and WOW, I haven't felt this good about about a new bike since my 87 FXLR!!!

Ordered a Black one in late August.  WTF!!!  Not gonna be here until Dec.
  • October 27, 2011 1:28 AM PDT
    That's not right! That sucks, sorry man!
  • October 28, 2011 4:34 AM PDT
    Hey Jimmy, trust me when I say "When you finally get it you will absolutely love!":-)
    • 846 posts
    November 21, 2011 7:43 AM PST
    Just got my recall notice this weekend. In case anyone was waiting or still waiting.