New to the Biking World

• September 14, 2011 1:30 AM PDT

Hi All,

I am still rather new to the Biking World.  I have been only riding for the past three months or so.  I have been interested in bikes for years, and have always wanted to ride.  Friends and family who were non-riders kept me back with all the stereotypical hype that goes along with biking.  I woke on my birthday back in May and was determined to get my license.  The fist thing I did was to call the local Harley-Davidson Dealership who was offering classes through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.  That was the best move that I made, and the class was great.  I ended up buying a Honda Shadow RS-750 for my first bike.  I absolutely love it.  I live in New York in Chenango County.  This area is absolutely gorgeous to ride through.  The only thing missing to make it that much better is a riding partner.  I anyone reading this who is from my area, and would like a riding partner, please let me know.  Also, if anyone is aware of any bike clubs or runs over in this neck of the woods, I would really appreciate knowing.  With this crazy Northeast weather, our ride time is limited here.  I am looking forward to hearing from all of you, and am glad that I came upon this site.

Tony 

• 1516 posts
    September 14, 2011 4:03 AM PDT
    Welcome to the Biking World and to Cyclefish. We are a great group and sometimes you have to ask a couple of times, but I am pretty sure we have someone here that lives by you.
    As for the events in your area, we have an extremely large event calendar here on Cyclefish. You can narrow the search down by looking just in your state.
    Have a good one!
    • 16825 posts
    September 14, 2011 4:18 AM PDT
    Welcome from Pennsylvania's north coast.
  • September 14, 2011 4:26 AM PDT
    Hi Tony,
    Thats a great way to start. I have been riding since I was nine years old (dirt bikes) As soon as I got my license, I was riding on the road. Three years ago I took the riders edge course at Western Reserve Harley Davidson and It helped me to be a better rider. They helped me brake some bad habbits that I devoloped over the years that I didn't even realise I was doing wrong. Good luck ride safe.
    Bill
    • 2072 posts
    September 14, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
    Hey Tony...... Welcome to Cyclefish fro sunny central California !!! Taking the riders course was the best thing you could have done. Will make you a much safer rider. Hang around here for a while and I'm sure you will find some riders in your area.Also, check with the local dealerships as they usually keep up on rides and runs in the area.
    • 5420 posts
    September 14, 2011 5:01 AM PDT
    Good Deal Tony. You will be glad you finally stopped listening to others and decided to RIDE!

Like the others said above, this is a great place to meet other riders, and we do have a bunch of events still to come in the New York and surrounding areas - don't know where in NY you are. And come spring we will have 100s of new events in your area listed in our calendar.

Enjoy the ride, and stay safe!!!
    • 846 posts
    September 14, 2011 6:25 AM PDT
    Welcome Tony from the Northeast (Massachusetts). Disregarding what others think is a great start. Taking the class was another, those weren’t around when I started riding and have heard nothing but good things from them. I’m sure you’ll run to some other to ride with. But don’t discount the solitude and ability to clear you head when you ride solo. I have a few folks I ride with but on some of my longer and best trip have been solo. You’re coming into some of the best time of year for riding in the Northeast (fall). The crisp air and the change of seasons bring out some of the best riding so enjoy. We all know what follows and I go kicking and screaming.
  • September 14, 2011 8:06 AM PDT
    Welcome to the site from Southern California, where were spoiled and get to ride year round. Sounds like you have made some great choices so far and now all you have to do is get out there and log the miles. Have fun Tony!!
    • 580 posts
    September 14, 2011 12:44 PM PDT
    Welcome to the site from Yorkshire in England. We're not as lucky as some with the weather but still make the most of riding when we can. Here's to many years of doing one of the best things a man or woman can do on this planet - get out and ride and enjoy the big world out there. Hugs
    • 2 posts
    September 14, 2011 2:41 PM PDT
    Bike curious huh!

Live real near you in the Horseheads area - Yeh, great area for riding & the right gear can take you from March to November.
    • 19034 posts
    September 15, 2011 12:52 AM PDT
    ATTA Boy Tony. Go for it. We have many NY state members. Just hang around for a while and you will meet them.
  • September 23, 2011 2:04 AM PDT
    Thanks all :>) I am looking forward to the nice fall rides. I am not looking forward to the horrendous snow though. Really don"t want to put my bike away for 4 months :>( Every time I take it out, I want to just keep riding til I fall off the planet:>). BTW, I am in the Chenango County area just in case there is anyone else out there around the same area...:>)
  • September 23, 2011 2:34 AM PDT
    Congrats from Indiana man!! Like the others I am glad that you stopped listening to those that kept you out of the saddle. There is nothing like wind in your face and the sound of the pipes. Its my meditation... Keep the rubber side down and enjoy the road.. whether with a group or solo.. riding rivals awesome sex, and surpasses lame sex lol.
    Have a good one!
    • 3006 posts
    September 23, 2011 3:22 AM PDT
    Hi Shadow Warrior
    Nice post, greetings from N Calif & welcome to the boards.
    My previous bike was a 98 Shadow ACE 750,you cant beat them for reliability and smiles factor.Put nearly 30,000 miles on her,before switching over to my latest bike 03 VTX1300s.
    Stay Safe n Enjoy the Ride!!!