Voltage Reglulater relo- Honda Magna

• 130 posts
    July 23, 2011 7:13 AM PDT
    After OL’s 1999 VF 750-C Honda Magna went through two voltage regulators in pretty short order, I contacted the good folks at the
    Magna Owners of Texas (MOOT) and was told that was a 'known issue' with that model.  I've never had a voltage regulator fail but I notice that the unit on my VT600 Shadow VLX is mounted on the frame, while the Magna's is was mounted under the battery box, directly behind the wide V-4  engine.  My guess is the regulators failed because they could not dissipate heat effectively.

In any case, I mounted the newest voltage regulator on the outside, using a Kuryakyn clamp. The unit has lasted at least twice as long as the last one so I'm calling exercise an unqualified success.

1999 Honda Magna

• July 23, 2011 12:14 PM PDT
    Interesting.  Must be low output charging system for the japs to put it in a bad spot like that.  Most bikes ( american bikes) mount them in the wind....down low on the front of the frame.  Pretty silly of Honda to put cooling fins on an item that needs to dissipate heat......and bury it behind the battery box.  Screams bad engineering.

Good luck with that.   In my case, they are mounted correctly...and in the right location....but poorly manufactured.  Same result.  But hey mines only the 993rd one ever made so I cut em a little slack !!  LOL !! 

jb

• July 23, 2011 12:21 PM PDT
    ps...Mike. Thank you very much for posting a motorcycle related topic. Sincerely mean that, sir. They are far and few between here. Almost like facebook,here but not quite that bad. Close though. Look no further than the recent forum topics and you'll see what a sad state the American biker has fallen down to.

Thanx,

jb
    • 130 posts
    July 23, 2011 2:47 PM PDT
    jbasile wrote...
    ps...Mike. Thank you very much for posting a motorcycle related topic. Sincerely mean that, sir. They are far and few between here. Almost like facebook,here but not quite that bad. Close though. Look no further than the recent forum topics and you'll see what a sad state the American biker has fallen down to.

Thanx,

jb

You're preachin' to the choir, jb.  Thanks for reading and commenting.

• 3006 posts
    July 25, 2011 3:52 AM PDT
    Another clear case of bad engineering,thanks Mike for the heads up,I have encountered this myself all too frequently in the past,yet like you I am always tryin to figure cause n effect n making the adjustments on the fly.
    most recently my honda was burnin up my fuel pump,apparently the pump would fail if you forgot to switch ovr to the reserve tank,it was replaced twice under warranty,the third time it crapped out I realized there had to be a fix,went n checked with some other owners on VTX board,tore the old pump out n converted it to gravity fed system.
    PIA yeah,yet worth the hassle..!!!
    With respects to JB's comments thats the nature of the internet,a lot of good people dont post much since they cant see the point of it,maybe we need those folks to post more & join the discussion with substantail topics they would like to see on the board.
  • August 6, 2011 9:52 AM PDT
    fiddlemike wrote...

You're preachin' to the choir, jb.  Thanks for reading and commenting.

You are welcome, Mike.  Hope both of you guys have gotten things in order on your rides and are enjoying the roads as much as I am this year.  Good grief I've found some serious roadage this year.  New stuff.  In Pa. mostly.  Rock on fellas, and keep it safe.

jb