Aftermarket,OEM parts.. Who do you use?

• 3006 posts
    June 21, 2011 3:17 AM PDT
    Just a post to see what parts supplier,OEM  or aftermarket company you use for getting the best deals and the best quality for your buck.

I am pretty much through  using the dealership locally,they seem bent on ripping off the loyal customers they do have..!

stay safe n enjoy the ride
    • 5420 posts
    June 21, 2011 3:56 AM PDT
    I get a lot of my parts online from J&P Cycles, or I just search for the part and check the prices at other online stores. For immediate stuff I usually just wind up running to the dealer because it's convenient - less than two miles.
    • 58 posts
    June 21, 2011 4:08 AM PDT
    I just try to get the best price for the same thing that I can. If it's H-D, OK. If not (usually) then someone else gets my money. Locally, that is usually Scooter Pete's, online is usually J&P. Sometimes, even WalMart (headlight bulb and Sea foam)!
    • 846 posts
    June 21, 2011 4:53 AM PDT
    I will normally shop around for an OEM Harley parts. J&P and BikeBandit is another one. In some cases my local HD shop is just as cost effective ( I can’t say cheap) as the online. Plus they will add a discount or two on depending what the circumstance is. Sometimes not but it’s a wash.
    • 16825 posts
    June 21, 2011 5:00 AM PDT
    On most stuff these days aftermarket is the cheap way to go, but if you need something right now the dealer is the best bet.
    • 0 posts
    June 21, 2011 8:58 AM PDT
    Down here we get touched up like a 1.50 hooker at closing time.We get nearly all our stuff online from over your way.Postage can be a bloody killer though.Still ends up cheaper than buying from the local bastard dealer..CHEERS BOOF
  • June 22, 2011 2:55 AM PDT
    I buy all my accessories and riding gear online but when it comes to parts for the bike I tend to buy them from dealers or other shops because I can see the actual part and feel it in my hands before I hand over my cash! I guess i'm just old fashioned that way.
    • 3006 posts
    June 28, 2011 6:14 AM PDT
    Been shopping online and shipping seems crazy high..now i find that our state has decided to impose sales tax for online purchases,thanks everyone for the response's,probably find a stealer who can order it for me.
    • 0 posts
    June 28, 2011 11:26 AM PDT
    My local dealer charges 20% above retail for parts. If you call them on it, then they will sell it at retail. Nope, not getting my money... 90% online purchases and 80% aftermarket parts.
  • June 28, 2011 12:49 PM PDT
    I noticed lots of you use J and P but I find better prices from Dennis Kirk and the motorcycle superstore. I do buy from the dealer when I want Harley Parts but you usually have to pay a premium for them.Shop around and you can find deals!
    • 567 posts
    June 28, 2011 2:20 PM PDT
    I use a variety of online sources because there doesn't seem to be ONE thats cheaper than the others. Each one will sometimes have an item that they are listing as a "sales leader" at a cheaper price to get people to start looking to their website first. But IF my local dealership has the same item with a reasonably close price, I'll use them so that I'm doing my share to keep them in business so they'll be there when I need them .. or am looking to go "candy store shopping" for a new ride.
    The local dealership sponsors a Vulcan riders group of which I'm a member. And, they give me a discount on things that I buy there because I'm a member. So, sometimes it works out pretty decent.
  • June 28, 2011 7:09 PM PDT
    for the sportser aftermarket- i have used, and recommend lickscycles.com - customer support is awesome- prices competitive and the shipping is fast- i have used the local stealer a few times as well- i will also throw out a recommendation for those military folk- blackhawk customs found on the centric mall of aafes.com- pretty nice selection of common items- at an average of 15% below msrp- i have ordered handle bars, a lepera seat- rear tire- and a few other odds and end- no dissapointments- and the price is right-
    my 2 cents--- respects
    dave
  • June 29, 2011 2:06 AM PDT
    Depends on what I am looking for. J&P Cycle and Dennis Kirk catalogs are always close at hand. If I need replacement part, that is likely to be a part that would be removed as a customizing job, I check with my buddy Algie at Killing Machine Choppers (he's a Cyclefish Member), to see if he has one laying around, which he does bout 1/2 the time. It's always good to know folks that have custom bike shop!
  • June 29, 2011 2:11 AM PDT
    90% on line, and shopping around. Gotta pay shipping, but ya pay that at a dealer cause you can bet that is rolled into their price hike.
    • 3006 posts
    June 29, 2011 3:36 AM PDT
    sjsak1 wrote...
    90% on line, and shopping around. Gotta pay shipping, but ya pay that at a dealer cause you can bet that is rolled into their price hike.

So my gripe is with the shipping costs,on larger heavier parts I realize the extra charge,yet for some smaller items the charges were too high.
    For example a new air cleaner filter,18.$ online w/shipping additonal 10$ or more,that brings it to same price as the stealer or more at some websites its even worse. Maybe my question should be who has the lowest shipping prices??
    Headin uptown to pick one up anyway, lucky that we have 8 Honda dealers within abt 40 miles.still the price points are all within 3-6$ of each nearby shop for parts.