Best Place to Camp in Sturgis

• 844 posts
    April 8, 2009 4:00 AM PDT

Just curious as to where you guys think is the best campground to stay at in Sturgis.

I know in the past it has always been the Buffalo Chip, but I've been hearing that some of the other campgrounds like Glencoe and even Full Throttle are doing lots to improve their sites.

Let me know where you have stayed and what you liked about it.

• 5419 posts
    April 8, 2009 4:48 AM PDT

GoFur,

We had a GREAT TIME at the Buffalo Chip Campground (you can see some of our pictures here Sturgis 2005 Pictures).  they have all different types of campsites depending on what you want.  You can be right in the heart of all the parties or go way off to a quiet campsite and ride or walk over to the action.

The main event area is great.  The stage and field is surrounded by food and drink vendors including a couple of fun bars.  The concerts were ALL great with plenty of room so you could stand right up by the stage or site in the back on a hill and enjoy the show without being crowded.

We didn't visit any of the other campgrounds like Glencoe, and Full Throttle didn't even have there campground open in 2005.  I have heard that Glencoe is also a fun place and in the past few years they have improved their concert area and are getting some of the bigger names like the have over at the Chip.

Hope that helps you a little.

• June 11, 2009 10:51 AM PDT
    All depends on what you are wanting to do during your visit, if you plan on doing a lot of riding and getting out to see the other sites I would not stay at the bigger camp grounds like your talking about. They have alott of road blocks between Buffalo and Glenco. So if you do stay at those just beware. Myself, I used to stay at a small camp ground rite off the junction exit but it closed down, I did very little in Sturgis it's self (been there done that) so most of my time is spent riding the bitch'n ass country around their.

So my sugestion is if you plan on doing a lot of riding while your there then get a smaller outside of town camp ground, if you just want to party down and stay put most of the time then you will not go wrong picking any of the big 3...P.S. Buffalo is the oldest with Full Throttle being the newest of the big 3.
  • December 27, 2009 8:37 AM PST
    Buffalo Chip has it all. But, it is big, crowded and by weeks end it's a hole. That being said, it's still the best party place during the rally. Just know that Buffalo Chip is all about the party. It attracts all types of bikers. The Full Throttle, though I never stayed there, has a great biker atmosphere (lots of vendors in kind of a Mad Max style setting. Everytime I ride in there I feel like I'm entering Bartertown of the movie Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome or the saloon from Dust to Dawn.). All of the larger campgrounds offer some great entertainment. The Buffalo Chip usually attracts the best 'big name' entertainment. The camping areas of Buffalo Chip are wild. The amount of sleep you are going to get really depends on who you are around. The trailer/RV area is especially entertaining. Several of the campsites feature complicated decorations including wading pools, stripper poles, etc (expect to see more then a few blowup sex dolls floating around). There are several smaller campgrounds that seem to be a bit more subdued. I love the rally and sleep is not my main concern that week. If you plan on doing alot of riding during the rally I'd suggest one of the smaller campgrounds. If you ride a bit during the day and wanna party ALL NIGHT LONG...checkout the 'CHIP.
    • 467 posts
    December 27, 2009 9:01 AM PST
    I can't stand the dust and filth at the Chip. Haven't done that in years--took my hubby a cou;e years ago, just to prove it to him--now he listens to me! I currently camp at Glencoe every year (even though I live 60 miles away), right along the famous 'tt alley'. I love the trees, the creek, the people, the Throttle is right down the road. The party lasts as long as you want.  The people you camp around become family by dinner.  Last year during the hailstorm everyone ran from camp to camp making sure doors were closed, windows were covered, etc. By the 3rd day you are all cooking together and planning the next year. The shower's are exceptionally nice. I have been camping in the same section for 5 yrs and we just keep adding people to it every year. 
    For a somewhat quiet out of the way campground I like Hog Heaven--it is out past the flat track and has some very nice trees and grassy areas to camp. Glencoe does require you to pay for the whole 15 days that they are open whether you are there or not, but I think it is worth it! Check it out at glencoecamp.com
  • April 18, 2010 4:17 AM PDT
    Mentioning the Buffalo Chip reminds me....I may have two weeklong passes to the Chip campground that I may not get to use. Not sure what price yet....will depend if and when I sell them.....
    • 5419 posts
    April 18, 2010 4:25 AM PDT
    Of course it has to be the Buffalo Chip, if nothing else just for the CycleFish Party!!!
  • April 18, 2010 2:40 PM PDT
    if I make it this year Ill be at Wild Bills outside of Deadwood for a couple of days before the rally than go to Glencoe during the rally and try to get over to the Chip for the party Lucky should that be the CycleFish and Chip party
    • 5419 posts
    April 18, 2010 3:02 PM PDT
    bullmoose wrote...
    if I make it this year Ill be at Wild Bills outside of Deadwood for a couple of days before the rally than go to Glencoe during the rally and try to get over to the Chip for the party Lucky should that be the CycleFish and Chip party

Took me a minute...funny man...

• June 28, 2010 2:12 PM PDT
    small campgrounds out of town are great and you wont have to walk your bike thru sturgis to get somewhere,and you can always ride into town to be with the crowds if you want
  • July 18, 2010 6:53 PM PDT
    Been to Glencoe, Wildbills and the Chip. I like a quiet night with a dark campfire to wind down so I really like Wild Bills. It's off the trail a bit but I don;t mind. It's close enough to deadwood.
  • July 20, 2010 12:20 PM PDT
    I gave up the big campgrounds... I have a cool little place I stay at off of exit 30 there in Sturgis called The Days End campground http://www.dayendcampground.com Great place, they have everything you need for however you got to Sturgis whether you're on a bike or a big ass RV plus they have cabins for all you big spender types. They have their own grub, bar, entertainment and litte convenience store plus you're walking distance to downtown Sturgis.
    • 467 posts
    July 20, 2010 2:15 PM PDT
    That's one of the things I love about Glencoe. You can camp up by the road and be close to all the action and heavy partying or you can camp down closer to the creek and be in the grassy shade in relative peace and quiet and just walk up to the road when you want to see more.
  • July 20, 2010 3:29 PM PDT
    cnciaco wrote...
    That's one of the things I love about Glencoe. You can camp up by the road and be close to all the action and heavy partying or you can camp down closer to the creek and be in the grassy shade in relative peace and quiet and just walk up to the road when you want to see more.
     Thats exactly the way I remember it from 07...except I camped in between 4 and 5. We are crashing your party in 8 this year! Not to worry we are good neighbors!
    • 467 posts
    July 21, 2010 3:02 AM PDT
    Can't wait to see ya all there!
  • July 21, 2010 9:51 AM PDT
    We are t minus 15 and counting for departure!
    • 844 posts
    July 21, 2010 5:12 PM PDT
    Thanks for all the input everyone!!!
  • July 22, 2010 4:30 AM PDT
    I've been going to Sturgis 30 years and if you want the total experience the Chip is the best. They have the best band line-up and the best parties. Me and the old lady have stayed at different camp grounds and have always had great times but we always end up coming back to the Chip
    • 467 posts
    July 22, 2010 7:37 AM PDT
    I quit goin' to the Chip because of the huge crowds, endless dust, lack of decent facilities at the concerts, bands that played to the crowds instead of their music and the constant threat of mudslides when it rains. I, too have been doin' the "Sturgis" thing for 30 yrs., and I think I have just "grown out" of the novelty and hype of the Chip. But I do agree that until you have stayed at a campground, you haven't experienced what it's all about. I took my husband there a couple years ago, cuz he remembered the "glory days" when it was bands on flatbeds in a field and he thought it was the still that way--tried to talk him out of it,but decided to let him experience it for himself. Wakin' up the next mornin' with 1/2" dust on everything and promptly let me pack up. Something different for everyone, I guess.
  • July 22, 2010 8:20 AM PDT
    I'm headed to the Broken Spoke Campground this year, has anybody ever been there?
    • 467 posts
    July 22, 2010 11:14 AM PDT
    Not too many trees if I remember correctly, but the bar is HUGE, the parking is HUGE, and very reminiscent of Full Throttle. Only indoors.
  • July 30, 2010 3:48 PM PDT
    we were looking into Broken Spoke Campground too... very interested to hear about it!!
    • 467 posts
    July 31, 2010 1:40 AM PDT
    Since I have only gone out there to visit and not stayed out there, I can only offer my views of what I saw in the daylight hours! Lol! I don't know about their concerts--types of bands, shower facilities, etc. I do know that the bar is nice and they have good vendors (like just about anywhere). Sorry I could not offer more info!
    • 1364 posts
    July 31, 2010 2:35 AM PDT
  • July 31, 2010 3:55 PM PDT
    Thanks Claudia .... still not sure what we are doing but he wanted me to look into that one anyway.. tight budget this year as it wasn't a planned one but hey -- going out to have fun no matter where we stay
    Thaks highrisk ... got it book marked -- wish I could afford chips with the concerts there but well like I said NEXT YEAR I'm planning way ahead of time heehee