Running rough,bad fuel or ???

• 3006 posts
    April 4, 2011 4:47 AM PDT

My bike has been running rough at idle,it started recently after filling up at a local station.She starts up fine with the use of the choke,yet idles rough & when acclerating it feels like it wants to bog down.It is not backfiring,yet it lose's power when trying to get on the gas.it feels like like lack of fuel or maybe a bad plug,yet prior experience leans me towards bad tankof fuel.If I pull out the choke while riding it responds by higher idle,yet normally this should bog out the motor..
    advice is appreciated and TIA !!!

• April 4, 2011 4:51 AM PDT
    Add a touch of Sea Foam and run it through. If fuel issue, that should take care of it.
    • 834 posts
    April 4, 2011 1:51 PM PDT
    I don't know, that would have to be some pretty bad fuel. It sounds more like something you would see with old fuel that got moisture in it.

But the fuel should be the easiest thing to eliminate. I would either drain it and try a new tank of fuel, or at least just top off every time it goes down a gallon or so.

If you still have the problem then, I would check for air leaks where the carb/fuel inj system mounts.
    • 5420 posts
    April 4, 2011 2:16 PM PDT
    After what you said about the choke, I would lean toward the air leak that AZ mentioned.

Since you said choke, the bike has a carburetor. I would check the the seal between the carb and the cylinder.
    • 0 posts
    April 4, 2011 10:29 PM PDT
    Gday mate.Get the bloody thing idling and spray around the manifold with some wd 40 or carby clean.if there is any variation in idle you got a vacuum issue..CHEERS BOOF
    • 3006 posts
    April 5, 2011 3:44 AM PDT
    Thanks all for the suggestions, working on her today,hopefully I'll git her running rite !!!
    • 19049 posts
    April 7, 2011 1:19 AM PDT
    So was there a solution????
    • 3006 posts
    April 7, 2011 3:09 PM PDT
    Trying to find the time to get'eer done !!!
    Its like when it rains it pours...between family chores n running around doing job interviews, havent found the energy or the time to go thru her,.. i.e. pull plugs check gaps check all the vacuum lines,mix in some seafoam,clean/replace airfilter gas filter..etc.. etc..check for any airleaks..my baby just turned 9 years old !!!
    Have over 53000 s'miles on her,its probably time to yank the carb also.

4/29/11
    finally got around to working on the bike,pulled plugs cleaned & regapped them,checked for leaky hose's,went n added the seafoam n topped off the tank,took her for a 40 mile ride & she was running a lot better,often times I dog the motor I realize,and the barely open throttle position just cruising along seems better now,it isnt hesitating or coughing like it was.Still I have a boatload of maintenance thats overdue,cleaning & pulling the carb,changing the coolant, etc etc..if money was no issue it would be a piece of cake.Unfortunately a lot of my $$$ goes to helping out my daughter & the grankids,and finding odd jobs to make ends meet is no fun...thank the lord I am able to tho,all those machine & woodshop classes paid off in a way..LOL..
    Stay safe n enjoy the Ride !!!
  • September 10, 2011 6:37 AM PDT
    No one thing is going to cause it to happen and therefore you need a mechanic, not a techno, to look at it. Generally speakin, all internal combustion engines require three things to run, 1) Air, 2) Fuel and 3) electricity. Screw up a little of its delivery in each one and u'll never get it straight with out some work gettin done. Make up ur mind if ur goin to keep the machine or dump the machine. If ur goin to keep it u need a mechanic, if ur going to dump it then a dealer's techno or inexperienced shop can help you till death do you part.