1981 kawasaki 550 ltd ...no juice

• March 19, 2011 12:37 PM PDT
    I have a 1981 kawasaki 550 ltd...she wouldnt turn over,so i changed the spark plugs,and she started..ran for about 2 minutes,then died.   No lights,no horn,no nothing...the battery is putting out 14 plus,so i dont think thats it...it has a lead battery,brand new last july,I've been told it might be a fuse,or the stator...i have no idea where to look for these..i have the manual,but i'm no mechanic...any help or input would be highly appreciated...dumb it down for me please,lol..
  • March 19, 2011 12:59 PM PDT
    First check the battery connections, make sure they are tight.  Check the voltage at the battery terminals with a meter.  Should be about 12.6v. Charge your battery if needed, it wouldn't be the 1st time a newer battery failed.  Always a good idea to check the main ground too.  Follow the neg battery lead, it will bolt somewhere to the frame and probably a bitch to get to.  Its not the stator.....unless the bike doesnt charge while its running then the stator is a possibility.  There should be a fuse block on that thing somewhere.  Check underneath the left side cover, thats where it was on my 79 KZ-1000 Police bike.  If all is dead still, you may have blown the main fuse which is the largest fuse in there, a 20 or 30 amp fuse.  If that pops, nothing will work.  I used to carry a spare around for that reason.  On the KZ, it was the large fuse in the center of the block.  Take a gander.  Best of luck. 

jb
    • 0 posts
    March 19, 2011 2:54 PM PDT
    Im goin with jb on this one its a fuse or a bad earth mate....Nose around and you'll find the bloody thing..CHEERS BOOF
  • March 20, 2011 8:59 AM PDT
    thanx guys,i'm gonna check into that tomorrow ,once the auto parts store opens..i'll replace any bad fuses and see what happens...i'll get back to you and let you know how i fared,lol
  • March 22, 2011 6:03 AM PDT
    ALLRIGHT!!!!!!!! You were right on the money JB..checked the fuses ,and the main 20 amp was blown..switched her out,and walaa...power..thanx for the help guys!!!
  • March 23, 2011 7:56 AM PDT
    Joshua wrote...
    ALLRIGHT!!!!!!!! You were right on the money JB..checked the fuses ,and the main 20 amp was blown..switched her out,and walaa...power..thanx for the help guys!!!

Outstanding!!   Always nice when a plan comes together !!   Keep an extra fuse on that bike....just in case it happens again.  Enjoy the ride !! 

Yup I say carry the fuse because this old girl here used to pop them every once in a while when you least expected it.  Sure was a fun bike though.