Does anybody else know about this !!!!!!!

• 1780 posts
    January 9, 2011 2:35 AM PST

Has anybody else heard of this problem?????  

Safety Notice

Tell everyone with a Harley with wire wheels about this problem.

Law firm investigating rim failures

Dec 12, 2010

A Texas law firm says it is investigating motorcycle rim failures in two accidents that may lead to more claims.

The Edwards Law Firm says rim failures may have led to catastrophic deflations of tires on Harley Davidson Ultra Classics. Both were steel chrome-plated 40-spoke factory rims manufactured in Italy.

The firm operates the web site
    unsafemotorcycles.com, where it says consumers contacted the firm about incidents in Michigan and Ohio.

“Failures of two rims manufactured at the same plant could mean defective metals or processing. If this is the case, other riders could be at risk,” says Billy Edwards, attorney and motorcycle rider. “We will be sending the rims to experts to see if they can determine what caused the failures.”
    A Michigan man riding a 2001 Ultra Classic reported he was traveling in October 2009 along a two-lane state highway at about 40 mph when his rear tire suddenly deflated.

“There was no warning, no sound, and all of a sudden the rear of the bike became extremely loose, squirrelly, uncontrollable,“ he said. He credited experience as a lifelong rider and Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes for his ability to stop without going down. “I knew, don’t panic, don’t slam on the brakes, bring it down easy. I was fortunate,” he said.

The tire had less than 1,200 miles on it and had been installed at a Harley-Davidson dealership, which also reported they had inspected the rim, he told the law firm. He said there was no hole in the tire, a D402, just a shredded tube and a long, lengthwise crack in the rim.

The Michigan rider, an engineer, says he contacted the firm after a fellow rider from Ohio experienced a similar rim failure in September, 2010. In the second instance, the Ohio rider reported he was traveling 78 mph on I-75 when the tire gave way.

“He crossed three lanes of traffic before he reached the berm where he could start applying brake to the front wheel. He almost didn’t make it,” according to the Michigan rider’s account. He said the Ohio rider, an auto mechanic, was on a 2003 Ultra Classic with Messler tires, again with no sign of puncture, but the rim shows a long, vertical crack.
    Posted by Holly Wagner

• January 9, 2011 2:40 AM PST
    Thanks buddy I'll relay this to friends that have spoke rims.
    • 1780 posts
    January 9, 2011 2:47 AM PST
    Not sure why the post turned out like that..........hope everyone can read it alright.
    • 1364 posts
    January 9, 2011 3:03 AM PST
    Most people that roll on wire wheels FORGET to have wheels trued. Safety checks on a regular basis is a MUST.

The following are general recommendations and guidelines. For specific information, refer to your owner's manual or ask your dealer or a qualified mechanic.

__Make sure your headlights, taillights, turn signals, horn and brake lights are working properly.

__Check all fluid levels (fuel, oil, hydraulic, coolant) and make sure they are at the proper levels or adequate for the ride.

__Inspect for loose spokes, if applicable, wheel alignment and play, and your tires for wear and proper inflation.

__If your bike is chain driven, check it for proper tension. Rule of thumb is about 3/4 inch of free play.

__Make sure your side stand and center stand will remain in the up position while riding.

__Periodically inspect your engine area and frame for loose bolts and fasteners. Remember to tighten to manufacture specifications.

__Check your throttle for smooth travel and no sticking. Refer to your owner's manual if lubrication is required.

__Check your clutch and brake levers for smooth operation. Lubricate and adjust according to owner's manual specifications.

__Check your clutch, throttle, and brake cables (if applicable). Lubricate or replace as recommended.

__Check your front and rear brakes for proper operation, brake pads and shoes for proper thickness, and rotors and drums for smooth surfaces.

__Don't forget to check your battery for proper fluid levels and terminals for corrosion.

• 5420 posts
    January 9, 2011 3:09 AM PST
    nightdragon wrote...
    Not sure why the post turned out like that..........hope everyone can read it alright.

It's a bug that causes problems when you paste certain text - been meaning to look into it.   I fixed the post for you.

• 19049 posts
    January 9, 2011 3:20 AM PST
    Thanks Kenny I will forward this to my friends with laced wheels. I had them on Rex for about 40k. I like the look but decided to take the easy way out and get mags that are easier to keep clean.
    • 846 posts
    January 9, 2011 7:12 AM PST
    Same thing, Thanks and will pass it on to those I know that have laced wheels.
    On a similar note when changing tires make sure the valve stem is the correct size and length. Excessivly long stems on laced or mags will hit on one side or the other and lead to a valve stem failure and a sudden defaltion also.
  • January 9, 2011 10:41 AM PST
    I have em and will continue to keep and eye on them!No troubles in all the time i've had em.
  • January 11, 2011 10:27 PM PST
    bad metal or over adjusted spokes, either way something is wrong
    • 9 posts
    January 12, 2011 8:29 AM PST
    Thanks for the Heads up... I've called a few friends to pass it on too......
  • January 14, 2011 4:56 PM PST
    Thanks for the heads-up. I went with aluminum wheels on my 2010 Electra Glide. It had wire spoked wheels and I had them switch them out. I just didn't want to have to worry about the maintenace. I still wire spoked wheels on my ol' ShovelHead tho. Nothing else seems right on the old girl.