Harley Davidson may be halting production on a few models...

• November 5, 2009 4:59 AM PST
    Its temperary but they will be halting production on Dynas and Sportsters for a undetermined amount of time as of yet.
    Not like they didn't make enough of the damn things in the first place... so I believe that we'll all be just fine:-)
  • g
    November 5, 2009 8:12 AM PST
    ?,is this a good or bad thing ?
  • November 5, 2009 5:45 PM PST
    I think its a protective posture mode. So a good thing in a questionable economy. My livelyhood depends on Harley Davidson.
    • 18 posts
    November 6, 2009 4:44 AM PST
    I agree, do what you have to for a bit. The strong and the smart will survive and be ready when things turn around.
  • November 6, 2009 7:07 AM PST
    As a Corporation, they'll do what they have to, to insure survival! They may have to trim a little "Fat" here and there to stay viable... Hey, look at it like this, they outlasted Indian!!!! Yes, I even have one of THEM!
  • November 6, 2009 10:48 AM PST
    Yeah, if they trim some fat they will survive. If they trimmed prices they would thrive, not just survive.
  • November 6, 2009 6:36 PM PST
    Trimming prices is not a good idea... creating demand at a premium price, that's Harley Davidson's allure, attainable but requires a bit of a serious commitment. I certainly don't want to see just any Tom, Dick or Harry on a Harley... Harleys are not for everyone and I'm glad about that. Diversity out there my friends, sport bikes, touring bikes like Goldwings and motard style bikes for off the beating path.
    Nope Harley makes amazing street machines, no one even comes close, not Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, nobody. Harley doesn't have to rely on making lawnmowers, generators or musical equipment when the economy is in the rut. Harley just refocuses on their brand and comes up with a way to keep them alive.

Trimming prices is not a good idea when it comes to their quality. Let the Japanese bike companies cut their prices, they've tried on several occasions in an attempt to steal Harley riders and have failed miserably. It's like the sign says "I'd rather push my Harley than ride your Honda anywhere!"
  • January 26, 2010 7:41 AM PST
    Here in Australia we can not get enough Dyna's in any model. Bought my o9 Dyna and waited 2 months for it.Some paid for the 2010 Dyna's and waited even longer. Maybe Harley could send more down this way.
  • February 15, 2010 9:17 AM PST
    Harley usually cuts production this time of year, the York plant will most likely close

and relocate south, possibly to Tn or Ky to crap on the Union Local 175.

Black9...What CVMA Chapter are you out of ?
  • February 15, 2010 9:25 AM PST
    The Sportsters are a model in trouble, you can't sell 'emused ones for anything and the demand on the new ones has decreased so much. I also feel the incentives they came up with to move new models actually diminished thier value. It's unfortunate, a model with more than 50 years of history, racing roots etc. Education on these wonderful bikes and creating awareness about them would do millions of miles of image salvation and erase the slander of "starter bike" and other BS that has made them seem unappealing to so many. Slowing down production on those great lil' guys for a bit is a very smart move. I am surprised about the Dynas though, we could barely keep 'em on the floor after un-crating them, it was like xmas every new delivery and both staff and customers acted as if a new baby was born...
    Harleys should always be loved and valued, in my oh so humble opinion...
    They know what the hell they're doing, it's why H-D has been around for so wonderfully long.
  • February 15, 2010 11:54 PM PST
    Dynas & Sportsters, aren't they the biggest sellers?
    • 19007 posts
    February 16, 2010 12:08 AM PST
    I would bet that Heritage and Road King are the top sellers. IMHO
  • February 16, 2010 12:19 AM PST
    Im thinking Sportster is the longest production model to date. Came out in the fifty's to compete with Triumphs and the few fast bikes of the day.
  • February 16, 2010 12:44 AM PST

Rexroaddog, theose were the hottest two models in NC last fall, but the black denim in all models sells almost before uncrated!
    HD created a new "retro" image and feel for 'em all, also created a greater appeal factor that spans several generations. Have you seen a Nightster in that flat black? HOT freaking bike! 

Sportsters are made for everyone. I sold a to a  few that taught me to appreciate thier glory, and you can hear an interview I did on bikernetradio.com about some of the history of those awesome (to me) Sportsters.
    Ooops, sorry, I could bore y'all to death about the facts and history of HD and the different models

I love Harley-Davidson, a helluve a company though sometimes a little too broad and spread too thin, most successful company's go through that tho. I agree with the refocus on what has been successful, perfect what works when times are tough and never belittle the name or the brand with coupons...
    A Harley-Davidson Motorcyce is something you save for and dream of and work hard to attain. And then you $100 dollar it to death to make it only yours! I LOVE them! I have since I took my first steps, I always will   .

Never ever belittle or make less appealing a man's (or woman's) dream!
    That goes for ALL mc's to me tho, two wheels and wind in your face...we are all sharing the same beautiful journey!

YEA! MOTORCYCLES!

• 513 posts
    February 16, 2010 1:48 AM PST
    They stopped making the night train, which is a favorite here is Europe, especially for those of us who are not fond of chrome and live in wet climates, thankfully I got one before they stopped production as I always wanted one.
    I would have been sick as a pig if I could not have got one!
  • February 16, 2010 1:52 AM PST
    I would have found one for you darlin' , it's what I do best, connect people and things they want and need!
    • 19007 posts
    February 16, 2010 2:35 AM PST

Rexroaddog, theose were the hottest two models in NC last fall, but the black denim in all models sells almost before uncrated!
    HD created a new "retro" image and feel for 'em all, also created a greater appeal factor that spans several generations. Have you seen a Nightster in that flat black? HOT freaking bike! 

Sportsters are made for everyone. I sold a to a  few that taught me to appreciate thier glory, and you can hear an interview I did on bikernetradio.com about some of the history of those awesome (to me) Sportsters.
    Ooops, sorry, I could bore y'all to death about the facts and history of HD and the different models

I love Harley-Davidson, a helluve a company though sometimes a little too broad and spread too thin, most successful company's go through that tho. I agree with the refocus on what has been successful, perfect what works when times are tough and never belittle the name or the brand with coupons...
    A Harley-Davidson Motorcyce is something you save for and dream of and work hard to attain. And then you $100 dollar it to death to make it only yours! I LOVE them! I have since I took my first steps, I always will   .

Never ever belittle or make less appealing a man's (or woman's) dream!
    That goes for ALL mc's to me tho, two wheels and wind in your face...we are all sharing the same beautiful journey!

YEA! MOTORCYCLES!

Steph, I have no fact or figures it just seems to me that those two are the most ubiquitous. Hell I have one so it has to be GREAT LOL...
    Yes I have seen the nightster and actually have about 20 miles on one. A young guy I worked with bought one new and was afraid to ride it home from the dealer in some traffic and tricky road so he asked me to do it. I really enjoyed it, it rode well and was nimble but just a bit too small for me. I looked like an oversized salami settin in a hot dog bun, just wrong. ( Now don't take that vision too far LOL)
    I think I have a photo of it in my albums. (without me on it)

• 513 posts
    February 16, 2010 2:38 AM PST
    I would have found one for you darlin' , it's what I do best, connect people and things they want and need!

I wanted a new one, it was my once in a life time purchase. I believe everyone should nave at least one new bike in their life and I wanted the train.
    I have a bike for the first time ever that nobody else has ever put a hand on except me.
    No one has butchered it or done something stupid with it.
    I know I will never buy new again, but I also know that I will never get rid of the train either.
    Steph, did you say earlier that people can't sell used sporties over their?  I still have the first sporty I bought because I love it. 
    Maybe we could buy a few and sell them over this side of the atlantic?
  • February 16, 2010 2:47 AM PST
    Dyna... we COULD! I can get my hands on many makes and models and specific years, there are a few tax issues etc, but i know we could figure it out. Hell we shipped to Iraq all the time from the dealership (we loved our soldiers!). I have just been sitting on my hands waiting on the economy to pick up to see if I get rehired and no promises in writing yet so i've got a bit of time on my hands, AND IT"S KILLING ME!
    The only guy i ever heard have trouble buying here and selling overseas was in Germany, import/export issues.
    Hmmmm, maybe my experience as a coffee roaster procuring green product from all over the world to roast WILL come in handy!
  • February 16, 2010 2:58 AM PST
    H-D's are pretty much a dime a dozen, figuratively speaking of course. I didn't go to the Goldwing because I didn't enjoy my two ultra, '06, anniversary ultra '08 and five yrs ago when my wife died and I road again on a new Sportster, great bike around town, an interum Yamaha 1650 Road Star and my first H-D when I was 12, a 125cc Hummer. They're doing now what they did when they died and sold to AMF. They probably have the best marketing around next to Yamaha's outboard division.

Be safe, Ride safe
    • 513 posts
    February 16, 2010 3:01 AM PST
    PM sent!
  • February 16, 2010 3:09 AM PST
    In '56 (that's 1956) a friend of mine bought a new sportsrer and was blowing the seats off the Indians, Triumphs and home made bikes. My brother was home from 2 tours in Korea and he came home riding a H-D model "74" biggest one at the time. I just happened to be riding it while he was sleeping late, rendezvous with some biker friends (my hummer was laid up) and did a test to see who's bike would win. The "74" smoked the sportser and Don sold it a week later and bought a T-bird. I know this has nothing to do with what is happening to H-D just wanted to share the story.
  • MJ
    • 35 posts
    February 16, 2010 4:51 AM PST
    Black9 wrote...
    I think its a protective posture mode. So a good thing in a questionable economy. My livelyhood depends on Harley Davidson.

• February 17, 2010 8:05 AM PST
    Re my previous message. Was at the local HD dealer last week and what didn't I see. No Sportsters nor Dyna's. He can not get his hands on any,non in warehouse he was telling me. He had to do a deal with another HD dealer in Perth Western Australia for a Dyna by swopping another biker so that he could satisfy a custemer here in Syndney New South Wales.Far and few are the new 2010 bikes. Sportsers and Dyna's are the fastest sellers over here,softails are next (he has a few on the floor) as well as Baggers. I agree with comments re slowing down economy and how Harley Davidson are going to get through it and hope that maybe they might make a few more for the Aust market next year.
  • February 17, 2010 8:14 AM PST
    Geez Hoss, that sucks for y'all. Right before my "fakation" started we had a guy from Australia come over here and buy an amazing beautiful Road King and then he was just going to travel the East Coast a bit before heading home. I didn't realize it was because you can't get them there, can't you place oreders, granted you'll have to wait and all, but the HD dealers here may pick a few to add to thier shipments...
    Interesting stuff, huh Dyna?