1980 goldwing 1100 plagued with ignition problems

• November 12, 2010 4:28 PM PST
    Just wondering if anyone has had problems with this model wing and ignition problems,cracked coils,# 3 & 4 cylinders drop out at idle. Has anyone found broken wiring on primary side of ignition and or problems pertaining to the pulse generator.

• 601 posts
    November 21, 2010 7:48 AM PST
    I don't know a lot about wings Gustav...buy the Irish lads in goldwing club run a lot of the older machinery, not much but maybe some help !

www.goldwingireland.com/homepage.htm
  • g
    November 21, 2010 7:19 PM PST
    you got a lighter . .
  • November 22, 2010 2:11 AM PST
    g wrote...
    you got a lighter . .

Damn thats funny!!        
  • g
    November 22, 2010 6:15 AM PST
    sorry ..........lol
  • g
    November 22, 2010 6:17 AM PST
    was rude was it ..
  • December 3, 2010 5:43 PM PST
    oh well i should expect to get kicked around a bit for havin a jap bike to begin with
    • 0 posts
    December 3, 2010 5:54 PM PST
    Mate i just finished restoring a 1983 Honda XL 600 for a customer...The thing with these old bikes is "Their BLOODY OLD".Stock standard connectors and wiring is about buggered from years of weather and fiddling by overly ambitious dickheads...Old bikes need old school fixes so best of luck with that mate,If its your passion you wont scrap it like so many others have over the years....CHEERS BOOF P,S the jap bike bullshit doesnt really bloody matter around here,just knee's in the breeze mate..
  • December 5, 2010 5:02 AM PST
    Agree with BOOF! I Love my Harley but also respect other makes of bikes.
  • December 5, 2010 1:59 PM PST
    have ya tried runnin some Sefoam thru it yet to clean the cylinders up a bit and see if the helps any it may be time for a complete rebuild on the motor. how many miles do ya have on her. it dont matter what ya ride as long as ya are riding
  • September 12, 2011 10:06 AM PDT
    Gustov, its going to take some $$$$ and time to get your bike together again, pleeez bro, find a real mechanic to do it and ur grandson'll be riding it when he's 50.
  • February 5, 2013 7:26 AM PST
    one of the problems is where the coils were located
    they are right at the top of the front next to the radiator and weather
    they are known for coils going bad but i would check your wires(they are old and known to go bad)
    this model is known for over 300000 and more miles
    very nice bike to ride and it is getting harder to find parts
    i could look and see if i have wires and coils
  • May 27, 2014 3:06 PM PDT
    I don't know if you have figured it out yet but, these are known for ignition problems as they get older. you need to check the coils/wires and ignitors
    all are in a bad location under cover, and right behind the radiator. ignitors melt down so check there, you can still get them new or go ebaying.