Slow to start..

• September 20, 2010 9:53 AM PDT
    Hello all
     I got a Vulcan 500 LDT 2007 back in June. Put about 2000+ miles on it this summer and love'n the hell out of it. I start to have a problem about 3 weeks ago. If the bike has been sitting for like 4+ hours and it is just a little cooler (50-68), then the bike has a hard time getting going. It will start up right away but does not seems to have enough gas and just chugs along for about 15 sec to 1 min. Most times it quits on me but after about 2-4 times doing this, it seems to all of a sudden, pickup and rumble like it should. A few times and if I do it at the correct moment, I can hit the started and the gas (little bit) and it will go but still not smoothly like before. It only runs like this for about 30 sec then it goes to a nice gentle rumble. I though it was because it was cooler but 50 degrees in Nebraska is not cool if you have been here in January. Then thought maybe not enough gas but I turn on the choke/primer and it does the same thing. Last week it was about 60 and had to hit the starter 5 times to keep it going.
     Also of note, had a problem with (vacumem "leak"with my gas in the heat of the summer. Engine would cut out after 60 miles on a tank of gas. Kawasaki dealer machinic told me to rip out the "inners" in the gas cap to fix that. Have not done it yet but wondering if related to above too.
     Wonder what it is and what to do..

Gary
    • 5420 posts
    September 20, 2010 10:04 AM PDT
    Gary,

Once it warms up and starts running correctly, does it continue to run fine as long as it is not allowed to get cold again?

Does it have carb, or fuel injection?
  • September 21, 2010 11:22 AM PDT
    Once it warms up or I can get some fuel into the engine and keep it going, it does not have a problem at all. It has a carb too.
  • September 21, 2010 11:29 AM PDT
    Hey Gary,

Friend of mine had a problem with his Vulcan and it was the fuel pump. His is carbureted too...
    I don't know about ripping the innards out of your fuel cap ~ if it's a sealed system it could cause issues ~ not to mention spillage if she gets laid down (God forbid!)

Best of luck to you and looking forward to hearing the outcome!

Coop
    • 1066 posts
    September 21, 2010 12:51 PM PDT
    Gary the fuel pump is a possibility. How old is your bike. I do not agree with the guy about ripping the cap apart, mechanic or not. If it's a new bike, chances are the fuel mixture is too lean. Gary good luck, from another Gary.
  • September 23, 2010 11:25 AM PDT
    The bike is a 2007 and it has 3400 miles on it. I put that last 2300 on it this summer. This just started to happen. The cap I have not done anything yet after seeing you'll posts about it. I need to do/take in for the 3000 mile checkup. Maybe have them check that out too. Thanks!!
    • 5420 posts
    September 23, 2010 11:42 AM PDT
    One thing I would check is all the seals around the intake & carb. An very small air leak could have more of am effect on the bike when cold then once it warms up.
  • September 28, 2010 11:35 PM PDT
    Update, I took apart the gas cap very carefully and saved all the parts. Put some rubber washers back in and tried it out. Yesterday it was in the 80's and I have 80 miles on this tank of gas. No problems so far. Going to keep going till i run out or close to that. Thanks for the help so far. Maybe I got it beat now. Oh I checked the seals and hoses, all was well it seems like. Everything was on tighter than a....... well let your mind wonder.. LOL...
    • 1 posts
    September 29, 2010 3:24 AM PDT
    Gary,

You may want to consider taking apart the carb and giving it a good cleaning. Many times as the carb starts to build up gunk, it is more apparent when the engine is cold.