Riding season coming to an end............

• September 20, 2010 12:59 AM PDT
    A couple things we should do before we put our trusty steads away for winter...... A good wash and wax job will keep the chance of rust from starting, A battery tender hooked up will keep that battery from going bad, air your tires up,  Changing your fluids will keep your motor, trans and primary clean and you will be ready to roll when spring is here.
  • g
    September 20, 2010 6:27 AM PDT
    and hide the kitchen knifes .
    • 58 posts
    September 20, 2010 7:21 AM PDT
    Why G? Are we just a bit paranoid?
    • 352 posts
    September 20, 2010 11:25 AM PDT
    I ride all year long - don't need a battery tender. I change the fluids in the fall and then again in the spring - cool weather / hot weather. Change the plugs at the same time. Drain the forks and change the fluid & repack fork bearings in the spring along with the brake fluid. It's a bit more than the factory maint. program, but it's my ass on the bike not the factory writer and going through the bike like that will help you spot anything else that may need attention, like wire harnesses, cable jackets, etc.

I change the clothes as needed for the climate - but anything less than a real snow and the bike is running.
    • 19007 posts
    September 20, 2010 11:09 PM PDT
    Good Reminder there JLH-oils....

That sounds good to me BullDog, 'cept for the damn salt they use around here. Oh wait, I'm headed to where they don't use salt. hahahaha BTW that should lower my BP, riding always (almost) relaxes me.
    • 352 posts
    September 20, 2010 11:39 PM PDT
    does the same for me Bro - I get to clear my head and relax.

Except when riding through the heavier traffic, then I tend to have urges to kick in the doors of some of the cages that like to cut bikes off without signals cause they are busy on the phone texting and putting on make-up while drinking their coffee and talking to the person in the back seat and just generally not paying damn attention!
  • September 21, 2010 12:46 AM PDT
    Forget that. I ride year round
    • 5419 posts
    September 21, 2010 4:55 AM PDT
    Yeah, I ride all year too

But the seasons are good to use as a reminder for some of the maintenance needed, even if you are going to ride through the winter.  Thanks for the reminder on the fork oil BullDog, seems I always forget that one.

For those who are putting the bikes away for the winter, you can find a few more tips here...

Winterizing Your Motorcycle
    • 601 posts
    September 21, 2010 7:44 AM PDT
    i ride all year except for one or two days when we get ice on the roads...usually in January. I don't drive a car (too bloody dangerous!) so I don't have much choice. Riding in winter gives you way better riding skills and awareness, but keeping warm is essential.If I get a really bad soaking and cold I will jump in the shower with all my bike gear still on and peel off the layers as I get warmer....mind you, my wife's comments can be hurtful when I get out, and she sees the mess.
    • 580 posts
    September 21, 2010 10:04 AM PDT
    rory1 wrote...
        ...mind you, my wife's comments can be hurtful when I get out, and she sees the mess.

Is that cos you just dump em all on the bathroom floor and leave her to clear em up lol
  • g
    September 22, 2010 7:50 AM PDT
    RufCut wrote...
    Why G? Are we just a bit paranoid?

life's to hard to carry on when it snow's ............................
    • 76 posts
    September 23, 2010 2:07 AM PDT
    Right there with ya G - just down right depressing!
  • September 28, 2010 4:48 AM PDT
    No end here...it's been over 100 degrees the past few days!
    • 1066 posts
    September 28, 2010 5:11 AM PDT
    Hey come on you guys. Quit rubbing it in about riding year round, not cool!!!
    • 58 posts
    September 28, 2010 5:15 AM PDT
    Cool is what ya get from Jan - March. LOL
    • 846 posts
    September 28, 2010 5:27 AM PDT
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooo I have to move.
    • 580 posts
    September 28, 2010 6:29 AM PDT
    We had the first frost this weekend and it's getting decidedly much chillier and wetter. Also dark before 8pm which cuts out after work rides too. Oh well, we'll make the most of it while we can before Ethel has to go into hibernation. Love the seasons here but would also like the nicer weather to last a little longer (fickle eh?) (o:
  • September 28, 2010 7:58 AM PDT
    I'm right with Chocmintz - I would like the riding season to last a bit longer - But you pick your battles when you choose to live in the North Eastern part of the USA..... Ride safe and always keep the Shiny side upI also try to ride a good portion of the year but it is limited as I work 2 + hours away from home and leave well before the sun rises and the temps much cooler at 5 am then at 10 am......
    • 0 posts
    September 28, 2010 9:02 AM PDT
    I ride all year unless there is ice around. Cold and rain I can dress for. But, I agree it is a good time of year to do a good cleanup and maintenance.