Engine ping

• October 25, 2009 7:28 AM PDT
    My Road king has had some minor engine work, Big bore stage two, you know, cams, air intake, V&H dual exhaust. Boy it dosen't like the new gas with the E added. Can't just wide open the throttle in high gear any more without the ping.  Any one having this problem and what if any additive you running?
    Thanks
    • 5417 posts
    October 26, 2009 3:04 AM PDT
    You may want to check out some of the replies here...

Pinging-Noise on 2005 Harley-Davidson FatBoy V-Twin
  • October 26, 2009 4:04 AM PDT
    Don't run the E 85 or E it will cost you!!!
  • October 26, 2009 6:57 AM PDT
    I can tell you right now from being a wrench for years at a dealers the ping noise is more than likely the push rods. When you do cams you are supposed to put in adjustable push rods. I'm assuming you got a more aggressive cam so that means you have a shorter distance between the cam and the rocker arm. that translates to the rocker arm hitting the top of the rocker cover on the inside.(ping) If the noise is coming for the top of the motor that is the problem and need to fixed be before you burn up your bearings on the cam, or bushings on the rocker, OR crack the rocker cover. The other thing the new ping noise could be from is the new exhaust. A lot of times you here more of the natural engine noises with better exhaust. If you put E 85 in the tank
    Drain the tank, put regular in and some injector cleaning additive. The motor may be gummed up from detonation. If and for how long you ran E85 will dictate how much damage you did. Which could mean top end job plus valve job.
    Dear god tell me you did not put e85 in there
  • November 4, 2009 12:54 PM PST
    I add Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner at least every other tank full.  Really quiets down the top end.  I did the stage 2 on my '06 Ultra last January and this stuff helps it keep plugging along
  • November 4, 2009 6:15 PM PST
    if you're pinging at high speeds you either have bad gas, i.e. improper octane or incorrect engine set up. Leatherhead pretty much said it all... if you have some radical lift style cams make sure you got roller rockers, make sure you have a good oiling system... but that's just me, if I heard that coming from my engine it would be stripped down immediately and gone through with a micrometer and every other measuring device at my disposal.