Ever wonder while riding just how cold it really is for you on t

• October 22, 2009 6:49 AM PDT
    Highway Speed Windchill Chart...

Note that no claim is made for the real-world applicability of these tables. The classic windchill was derived by measuring the change in temperature of water in a plastic container, as that container was exposed to varying temperatures and winds speeds. Most observational work was done at very low temperatures.

So please ...

• use these tables only as very rough indicators of windchill
    • don't take the info too seriously
    • remember to enjoy the ride
    Source: http://www.eol.ucar.edu/homes/rilling/harley_windchill.html />
  • October 22, 2009 7:30 AM PDT
    Rode to work Wednesday morning and it was low 30's with heavy fog.Got to work and had ice on my windshield,mirrors,helmet....not ready to put the bike up just yet!
    • 83 posts
    October 22, 2009 7:34 AM PDT
    handy chart.........
    • 1161 posts
    January 24, 2012 1:47 PM PST
    Refresh
  • January 25, 2012 12:47 AM PST
    But it only goes down to 30° ?
  • January 25, 2012 12:56 AM PST
    A ton of salt on the streets rankles me more than cold temperatures.
    • 3006 posts
    January 25, 2012 4:52 AM PST
    Interesting chart, temperature goes up while riding in 95' weather the faster you go.
  • January 25, 2012 6:03 AM PST
    The only time I wondered, I was going 70 mph in 17°.

I had spent the morning standing a flag line at a funeral. So, I had been outside in those temps for hours before trying to scoot home before the snow came. Hopped on the slab to speed things up...I've never been colder!

Was within a few miles from home, and realized I was down to less than 1/4 of a tank. I don't like parking the bike with an empty tank in the winter, because going into a warmer garage can create condensation, and condensation can lead to rust in the tank. So, I HAD to stop and top off before going home.

Before I could even think about getting out my credit card or work the pump, I needed to let my fingers thaw out. As I was warming up in the convenience store, the snow started.

I made it home, and took a pic of my bike's tracks in the fresh fallen snow on the driveway.

Now I have heated gear!!
    • 1 posts
    January 25, 2012 9:25 AM PST
    its an interestin graph i must say, for years I have been suffering from Pneumonia, and most recently I developed Pluresy,which is one step down from pneumonia...all because when the weather warmed up I thought I didn't need a jacket on. As it was hot enough to ride, being stationary proved it topo me i wasn't cold. Yet I forgot all about the wind chill factor. Good post...even after 2 years.
  • January 25, 2012 1:27 PM PST
    its quite interesting that the temps go up in the heat and higher speeds.
    I rode across the Salt Flats in Utah in late July 2011, actual temp. was on the average 110 and we were running about 80 mph. Friend thats rides with us said his digital air temp guage read between 115 and 122 the entire 100+ miles across that portion of Utah.
    I'll never do it again during summer months lol !
  • January 25, 2012 3:18 PM PST
    I feel so bad for the riders in the cold areas of the country. Here in So Cal its going to be in the low 80's over the weekend... Riding in a tank top, no wind chill here. Sorry guys. :]
    • 19049 posts
    January 25, 2012 9:47 PM PST
    Fefe wrote...
    The only time I wondered, I was going 70 mph in 17°.

I had spent the morning standing a flag line at a funeral. So, I had been outside in those temps for hours before trying to scoot home before the snow came. Hopped on the slab to speed things up...I've never been colder!

Was within a few miles from home, and realized I was down to less than 1/4 of a tank. I don't like parking the bike with an empty tank in the winter, because going into a warmer garage can create condensation, and condensation can lead to rust in the tank. So, I HAD to stop and top off before going home.

Before I could even think about getting out my credit card or work the pump, I needed to let my fingers thaw out. As I was warming up in the convenience store, the snow started.

I made it home, and took a pic of my bike's tracks in the fresh fallen snow on the driveway.

Now I have heated gear!!

Rode in a similar situation and discovered my hands wern't working. Fingers would not move when I told them to. After that I came up with a method of at least keeping the hands warm. Bottom line, it is not safe.

• 1 posts
    January 25, 2012 10:33 PM PST
    I should not have looked at this... I know it is a rough cart but still some times ignorance is good... About the temp gauge, have seen my buried crossing the dessert in the summer time... Got a late start out of LaJolla... Lowest temp that entire trip was 113 after we left those mountains that is... I fried one of those cooling vest on that trip but it probably saved me from a heat stroke.
  • January 25, 2012 10:41 PM PST
    IEDarla wrote...
    I feel so bad for the riders in the cold areas of the country. Here in So Cal its going to be in the low 80's over the weekend... Riding in a tank top, no wind chill here. Sorry guys. :]

I feel sorry for folks that live in parts of the country that don't have seasons!  I'm going ice fishing this weekend, and hows the snowmobiling out there in So Cal?  Ya know... snowmobiling is a lot like motorcycling except you don't have to stay on the roads!  YeeHaaaaaaaaaaaa

• January 26, 2012 1:09 AM PST
    Holy crap! So when I rode in this past October and it was 31 out....it was -3 for me. (No wonder I was the only fool out there! LOL) Burrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! In temps like that, even the best leathers don't keep you warm.
    I'm ready for Spring now.....
    • 3006 posts
    January 26, 2012 4:58 AM PST
    StreetBobGirl wrote...
    Holy crap! So when I rode in this past October and it was 31 out....it was -3 for me. (No wonder I was the only fool out there! LOL) Burrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! In temps like that, even the best leathers don't keep you warm.

WOW you were wearing leathers ??

When the daytime temps drop into the 40's here I slap on some heavy ski pants gloves n jacket,still have some difficulty keeping my fingers warm tho,yet I respect the cold always now,after reading the wind chart just confirmed wht I already knew abt how cold it gets qik like on the bike.

• January 26, 2012 5:26 AM PST
    too busy shivering to think about it.......
  • January 26, 2012 10:12 AM PST
    It'll be in the upper 60's / low 70's this weekend in NOLA.... just sayin ~
  • January 26, 2012 10:34 AM PST
    @WWEJD... We have seasons... Two of them, Hot and Cold. . You can keep your snow. I don't mind the once a decade visit with it. Snow is like grandchildren, fun to play with then leave behind when yer done.
    Buddydog... Kinda cool for the Big Easy isn't it...? Just askin'
    • 5420 posts
    January 26, 2012 10:37 AM PST
    Yep, I'm with you Darla... I would rather ride all year and if I want snow, its just a little over an hour up the hill to the nearest snow.
  • January 29, 2012 12:31 AM PST
    This time of year here in No. Nevada, this temps are in the 20's to 30's in the am. When there is no ice or snow on the ground the heated gloves are a life saver.

Being that I was born and raised in Central Cali, I am with Darla also! Don't need no 4 seasons! lol
  • January 29, 2012 5:28 AM PST
    I've gotta get out of this cold place.
    • 1855 posts
    January 29, 2012 5:51 AM PST
    spider wrote...
    I've gotta get out of this cold place.

Me too!!!!!!  Since my open-heart surgery in '05, riding in temps under 50 degrees is a risk at best.

Peace

• January 31, 2012 5:27 AM PST
    blurplebuzz wrote...
    StreetBobGirl wrote...

WOW you were wearing leathers ??

When the daytime temps drop into the 40's here I slap on some heavy ski pants gloves n jacket,still have some difficulty keeping my fingers warm tho,yet I respect the cold always now,after reading the wind chart just confirmed wht I already knew abt how cold it gets qik like on the bike.

LOL!  Yes, I was.  Chaps, coat, two pairs of gloves, full face mask, goggles, and helmet.  I won't even mention what I had under the leathers.    It was the last ride of the season, so I toughed it out. 
  • February 5, 2012 3:04 PM PST
    I just rode home from a friend's house. TWC says it's 30° out...which would explain why there was a layer of frost on my bike seat and the small puddle of water in his driveway was iced over.

I had on my usual gear

• Jeans and chaps. No flannel lined jeans, though. Those are for longer rides or even colder temps.
    • Engineer's boots with thick socks. The square toe is noticeable warmer than the pointed toe of cowboy boots. And the higher top keeps the cold air from going up my pant leg. I do have a pair of leg warmers in my tourpack too, again, for longer rides or even colder temps.
    • Long sleeve thermal shirt. Just the sleeves were thermal, the rest was a regular T shirt, but on the thicker side.
    • Leather jacket with long sleeved heated jacket liner. I did turn it on HIGH, for the whole ride home.
    • Heated gloves. The best investment in riding gear I ever made! Better than heated grips by FAR.
    • Stocking cap. Pulled down over my ears as best I could.
    • Fleece lined leather kerchief. This covers my nose and lower face as I am riding, but I can easily pull it down when I stop at a light to keep my glasses from fogging up.
    • Yellow safety glasses...the $5 kind I find at walmart in the hunting/shooting/sporting goods section.

The only place where I felt cold was the back side of my hips, that are not covered by my leather chaps and aren't pressed against the seat. I need a hiney heater!

Now, I know I did get up to about 60 on my way home...I wasn't going crazy fast because it was dark out and it was below freezing, so I was keeping an eye out for ice since it had rained earlier in the day. But, I don't think the windchill was as low as that chart says. It really didn't feel uncomfortably cold...I am sure by ears and nose would still be burning now if that chart was accurate and I had been riding in sub-zero wind chill for those 25 minutes.