Suzuki C90 Fork Shake

• August 17, 2010 1:39 AM PDT
    I have had this problem once and it was very minor but I have heard about others that have even had lockup and tankslapper results.  I found in the Delphi Forums that replacement of the steering shaft  BALL BEARINGS WITH PLASTIC BALL SEPERATORS with Timkin tapered roller bearings has eliminated the problem.  I am looking for the part numbers but have been unsuccessful so far.  Also found that this may not be just a Suzuki problem.  Other manufacturers have used cheep ball bearings on the steering shaft.  Preload torque on the C90 is 65 flbs.  The plastic will deform allowing the balls to move off alignment and loosening..   If you have had this problem what did you do to fix or think about having the dealer repair with OEM parts?  
      My maintenance history would lead me to want the Timken roller bearing with a greater load carring capacity.  Wish I had My old bearing Bible that I left at work....I have converted ball to roller bearing applications in several machine positions with great success.  Just want to prevent somone from getting hurt if possable. 
    • 5420 posts
    August 18, 2010 9:49 AM PDT
    Howard,

Try searching these part numbers.  I believe they are the correct numbers and you should be able to find someone who carries them...

Steering Head Bearings:
    Top: Timken 32005X 92KA1
    Bottom: Timken 32006X 92KA1
    Suzuki Lower Seal: 51644-12C00

• August 18, 2010 9:56 AM PDT
    Hey Howard!

Take a look at this... (Lucky! You are the MAN! :-)

OCD has made it easy, to buy a complete kit of the Timken Bearings for $70 shipped.  That is what I installed, but from all outward appearances, they don't look much different.  You could search around and buy for less, but considering the time involved, its probably better to get the kit.
    Steering Head Bearings:
    Top: Timken 32005X 92KA1
    Bottom: Timken 32006X 92KA1
    Suzuki Lower Seal: 51644-12C00

From the pictures, I would guess that there is a partial plastic retainer cage around the All Balls.  It should n't make a lot of difference, but I know the Timken is all -metal.

Thanks for all your input on my stuff Guys ~ that's what it's all about!

Coop   
  • October 4, 2010 6:32 AM PDT
    Aloha y'all, just for the record, I am a newbie to Cyclefish!
    I have been having this problem with my C90T and have been looking for a solution. Thanks to all for the assistance. My question is: Do you have to replace both race and bearing? and what is the difficulty?
    I am looking forward to this taking the shake out the front end, that is for sure.
    Thanks to all who posted, it is greatly appreciated.
    • 1066 posts
    October 4, 2010 8:09 AM PDT
    Guys, this is one place you sure don't want to try to save any money. Do what ever it takes to get the best you can get.
  • October 4, 2010 12:32 PM PDT
    For some reason (cost?) Suzuki changed from tapered roller bearings to Ball bearings with plastic seperator. The 05 C90 was the first of the change. A loose bearing will cause a shake. Tightening the bearing will remove the shake. The plastic seperator can distort causing the ball bearings to be UNEQUALLY spaced and increase the shake problem. Attempts to readjust this bearing will soon make the problem.. get even worse... Install the tapered roller bearings that will move back to what the Steering bearings were earlyer. Cost is of little Bearing (sorry) for a safe controlled ride...
    • 58 posts
    October 4, 2010 12:48 PM PDT
    All puns intended, I'm sure. 
  • February 8, 2014 7:29 AM PST
    I have done searches to find these Timken bearings and am having no luck. Please somebody where can I buy them my C90T is getting scary.
    • 284 posts
    February 8, 2014 8:33 AM PST
    If you take the bearings out there will be a name and number printed on the side, ie Timken 3226. The top and bottom bearings may be different, and if you buy the bearing get new races also.

In the phone book under bearings call the local bearing distributor and give them the name and number, will be way cheaper dealership. Also local industrial supply stores will usually carry them.
  • December 3, 2014 3:39 PM PST
    Coming late to the post! I just bought an "All Balls Racing" roller bearing set #22-2004 for my 1998 C90T from Motosport.com for $40. I'm having front end shake at 35 - 40 mph otherwise I could ride hands free with good tires. Won't install them for a while yet.
    www.motosport.com/all-balls-steering-bearing-kit />
    2 wheels down! Ride safe.
    Larry F.
    • 3006 posts
    December 7, 2014 5:07 PM PST
    Thanks for the post. Please let us know how the new bearings are working out.
    This is similar to a problem a lot of Honda VTX riders were having w/front end shake.
    I usually notice my front end shake at about 40-45 not too severe just not hands free, yet I would not ride at any speed over 20mph "hands free" just call me chicken I guess?