Cast or Forged Pistons with Nitrous?

• July 7, 2010 8:13 AM PDT
    Have been getting conflicting info on which piston type is best for a mostly stock engine running nitrous.Company I bought N2O kit from, says cast is fine. Has anyone here run nitrous with cast pistons? and if so, how well did it hold up? Thanks for any input. I just rebuilt engine last year and don't care to tear the top end off again unless absolutely neccessary
    • 601 posts
    July 7, 2010 8:31 AM PDT
    forged aluminium pistons are the best..but if you follow the correct mixture cast will hold out fine. Remember all you are doing is tricking the engine into burning more oxygen, so get it right and engine will do fine. I have more info if you need it. Info from experience.
  • July 7, 2010 8:44 AM PDT
    Current engine runs great. Norton parts aren't cheap! More expensive than HD. It pulled 72hp on the dyno last year and I was told you can safely add roughly 50% of current horsepower with nitrous. I'll be installing the N2O kit with 30hp gain jets. If this can get me close to the 100hp mark, I should turn high 10's to low 11's pretty easy. Currently running in the 12.4 - 12.6 range as is. Only going to hit the N2O switch at full throttle 2nd gear. I have a gear indicator that I'll read with micro-switch to engage at shifting into 2nd. I have heard different stories on types of pistons, but Dyno-Tune nitrous, tells me I'm good to go.
    • 601 posts
    July 7, 2010 8:55 AM PDT
    I wouldn't see a problem , reason Norty parts are expensive is they are well made, (I'm going to get it in the neck from the HD people now) I would think the pistons in a Norton are forged (beaten to shape) which is expensive, not cast (hot poured metal) cheaper... the explaination is crude and basic, but true.
    • 19004 posts
    July 7, 2010 11:18 AM PDT
    No personal experience here but logic says forged are better.
  • July 7, 2010 11:49 AM PDT
    FORGED