My install

• June 22, 2010 5:29 AM PDT
    I installed the easy bracket saddlebag mounts and relocated my rear turn signals with the help of a friend.

Laydown license plate rear turn signal relocation kit.                                                  Easy brackets saddlebag mounting kit

Side view after install                                                                                      Do it yourself-er

Still need an easy clutch, driving lights and a mp3 player/phone connect w/speakers (yeah I know the pipes are the greatest music but I need NASCAR on Sun)
    • 1364 posts
    June 22, 2010 6:04 AM PDT
    Great job 
    • 1066 posts
    June 22, 2010 6:37 AM PDT
    Good job Race Angel, nice looking Low Rider too.
    • 844 posts
    June 22, 2010 6:42 AM PDT
    Very nice, now your ready to travel!!!
  • June 22, 2010 7:07 AM PDT
    Because my saddlebags have the zipper for the throw over I added velcro attached with adhesive to the back of the ez brackets between the detachable backrest. I tucked the excess in for a clean look.
    • 1 posts
    June 22, 2010 7:24 AM PDT
    Looks very clean!
  • September 4, 2010 6:17 AM PDT
    O.K. so my last install didn't go so well. I purchased an amplifier and speaker system for my MP3 player that came with a USB power sourse, volume control, and MP3 mount. My hubby and I installed the speakers and the components. I chose to have a professional hook up the wiring harness. What I was quoted for 1 hour turned into 2 hours (@ $75.00 per hour) but I paid without complaining as I am a business owner and well, times are hard and myself get tired of customers wanting to beat me up on pricing. But I was more than disappointed when we went to test the system and the amplifier promptly fried. Smoke and all. They took off my seat and checked the wiring and I was told that it was hooked up properly that it must have been an internal problem with the device. Well, O.K. Now I have to return the amplifier and hope that they send me a replacement along with the thought of having the replacement fry too.

So, I'm out almost $400.00 (parts and labor) wires that run to no where and a very sick feeling in my stomach...and not sure if the wiring is actually correct. I don't mean not to have trust and faith it's just been an incredibly expensive and disappointing project.

Does anyone have any opinion on why the amplifier fried like that? What's the probability of the replacement frying too? Will it effect the wiring on the rest of my bike. Could I be riding and all of a sudden have smoke coming out of my ears?

What would you do? (Outside of not having started this project in the first place)
    • 1509 posts
    September 4, 2010 1:31 PM PDT
    Things are improveing do not quit now this is the part of being a biker that is quickly getting lost, now you know you can keep up the good work. (lower and bob it next?)
    • 6 posts
    September 5, 2010 12:53 AM PDT
    Honestly, for that to have happened it almost HAD to be a shorted wire, probably a power lead. Did they install a dedicated fuse or a fusable link that would blow in the event of a short? If not, they didn't really install it properly.

I can also tell you that if a shop quotes you a price on labor, you have every legal right to insist on that price, unless they tell you up front that they're ''punching the clock'' on your bike. There are established guidelines for every job on every vehicle, which are puublished in book form for shops. that way, I can't say ''it'll take 2 hours to do your brakes'' and then charge you for 3 When it really only took 45 minutes to do the job. you just paid m for a 2 hr lunch. If they said 1 hour labor in their quote, hold them to it. If they din,t install the amp with a fuse between the power-source (your battery) and the amp, they are also responsible for buying the replacement. When you send the old one back, be sure to ask what happened to it, and get their answer in writing if possible, that'll help prove your story if it was the shop's fault. I know, I hate being tough of people, too, but things are hard on you, too, and you don't need to be paying for someone else's mistakes, if they made one.
    • 19007 posts
    September 5, 2010 12:54 AM PDT
    I have a few questions.
    1. Did it smoke immediately when Powered on??
    2.  Did the installer test IT?
    3. If they said yes do you believe them.
    4. And finally do you know if they (installer) put a fuse in line with the amp? <<--- MOST IMPORTANT !
    Also the fuse HAS TO BE proper amperage.
    Send me a PM and I will gladly give you my phone # where we can discuss this further.

Wiring an amp is not rocket science. Any decent mech should be able to do it.
    • 1509 posts
    September 5, 2010 1:12 AM PDT
    SHOOT UM THEN LET MANAGEMENT CLEAN UP
    • 58 posts
    September 7, 2010 4:38 AM PDT
    Nice ride! Good luck with the amp.
  • September 7, 2010 6:15 AM PDT
    Rexthedog here are the answers to your questions:

1. Yes it smoked immediately
    2. Don't know if the installer did a "test" or not, I would almost say Not.
    3. If I would have asked and they said yes, No I would have not believed them.
    4. The wiring harness came with a built in fuse (I think). I will call the manufacturer and verify. If not, then I don't believe they installed one but I will also call the install shop to verify also.
    5. I will send you a message with my shop number so we can discuss this.

Thank you