Towing a Trailer Behind Your Motorcycle

• 5417 posts
    January 29, 2012 4:19 PM PST
    Yeah, I never really needed a trailer either.  I could pack all of our stuff just fine and still have room for Laura to ride comfortably on the back.  But I think this is the year I'm gonna break down and start pulling the trailer for a few of reasons...

1) In addition to all of our personal gear, I bring lots of CycleFish stuff to the rallies - like t-shirts, hats & banners, and I want to be able to bring stuff to make the CycleFish camp comfortable for all our members that camp with us - extra chairs, shade cover, stove, BIG ice chests, etc.

2) The bike is getting pretty damn heavy for this old guy to even get off the stand when I load that much stuff

3) On loner trips I hate having to pull all that stuff off the bike and drag it in the motel room after 10 hours of riding and then pack it back up the next morning!

So this year you will probably see me pulling in with my trailer in tow!

• January 29, 2012 10:33 PM PST
    I saw this at Easy Eddies in Huntersville, NC and it was really cool. I think it was being pulled by a silver classic.

https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/transparent_album_background.gif) no-repeat left">
    January 30, 2012
    • 834 posts
    January 3, 2013 6:25 AM PST
    Hey Lucky, ever get that trailer?????
    • 1855 posts
    January 4, 2013 5:26 AM PST
    i've always thought towing a trailer was an added danger for bikers. I've seen bikers go down and there's absolutely no skill level that can outwit a trailer on a tear. The traile simply takes control and the biker is going to go down hard, most likely with serious injuries. However, I had the opportunity to see one of these uni-go trailers in action and I have to say I sure was impressed. Safety wise it's undoubtedly the best there is. Storage wise, it'll do.

I'm guilty of packing my ride (like Lucky) to well beyond the weight limit. We don't think much of it but the reality is that's it's not good for the motorcycle....period. But hell, Gypsy and I still load her down.
    Oh yeah, here's the uni-go link. http://uni-go.com/ />
    Peace
    • 5417 posts
    January 4, 2013 5:44 AM PST
    Nope never got it AZ, but still hoping to. It's not so much for our personal gear... Laura and I have been doing this long enough we have it down pat. It is more because we are doing more and more CycleFish stuff at events we attend and I need to bring banners, hats, t-shirts and all kinds of other goodies. I am not going to go the other way and trailer the bike so I can put all the stuff in my truck, and shipping is just a pain in the butt too. What I need is something low and light... still looking!
    • 5417 posts
    January 16, 2013 12:28 PM PST
    Found one I REALLY like.  I think this would look great with the CycleFish logo on the sides and back...

• 19004 posts
    January 17, 2013 12:47 AM PST
     You mean like this???

• 5417 posts
    January 17, 2013 1:20 AM PST
    That's it!!!!
    • 1855 posts
    January 18, 2013 2:02 AM PST
    Still a very nice and safer alternative.

http://uni-go.com/ />
    PEACE

• 844 posts
    January 18, 2013 3:05 AM PST
    All trailers ad some safety concerns to bikes, but I am not sure I like them little fiberglass single wheeled jobs. I followed one of them to ROT on year and that damn thing spent more time off the ground than it did on the ground. Every little bump, even just a dip in the road and that wheel was up in the air and would come down a little off center and wobble its way back to center. Maybe he just needed to add more weight in it?
    • 5417 posts
    January 18, 2013 4:14 AM PST
    You know GoFur I have seen all motorcycle trailers bounce a bit, but I have to agree that little guy looks like it would bounce a little more. Plus it doesn't look like it would hold as much as I need. I actually got to ride a friends bike for a few hundred miles pulling the trailer I pictured above, that's what made me decide on that one. The total weight of the trailer when I rode it was about 350 lbs and for the most part I could not even tell it was back there. Actually it was easier to ride with the trailer packed than when I load up my t-bag and gear on my luggage rack. Like pulling a trailer in a car or truck, you need to slow down and ride much differently... but I'm not in a hurry anyway :-)
    • 719 posts
    January 19, 2013 2:51 AM PST
    AzRider wrote...
    That is a cool little trailer for the money. I may just have to get one so I can bring the BBQ and cooler to rallies!

hey az u can get a flatbed trler that is 40"x48" for 179. at harborfreight
    • 719 posts
    January 19, 2013 2:55 AM PST
    damm lucky and rex yall spend the big bucks for them trlers poorboys like me wanna ride more and work less so i have to stick with the cheap stuff lol
  • January 22, 2013 10:25 AM PST
    We got that trailer made right here in Oklahoma and can ship it anywhere in the US.  Best prices you will find anywhere and we are having a winter special right now...

http://www.minitrailerusa.com/ />

• 5417 posts
    January 28, 2013 4:58 AM PST
    Thanks MiniTrailerUSA.  Hoping to have one of your trailers behind my bike this rally season!
    • 844 posts
    January 28, 2013 5:10 AM PST
    I like it. I will look cool with the CycleFish logo!
    • 51 posts
    January 28, 2013 6:26 AM PST
    I need one in YELLOW!
    • 5417 posts
    February 17, 2013 12:01 PM PST
    I FINALLY got my trailer!!!

Just got here on Thursday from
    MiniTrailerUSA and I love it.  Only problem is my hitch won't be here until Tue or Wed so I have been just staring at it in the garage wishing I could take it for a test ride!

I must say that I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED with this trailer.  I have seen lots of similar trailers but they always slightly lacked in attention to detail.  Not this one!  Everything on this is the highest quality from the aluminum spoked wheels, quality tires, inside carpeting, quality locking mechanism, stand, and just the workmanship that you can tell went into it by the quality clean welds, bends, trim, etc.

I am going to do a full product review once I get it on the road, but in the meantime you can check it our at
    www.minitrailerusa.com style="font-size: larger;">.  I got the Shadow Model.

I'll post another picture once I get the CycleFish logos on it!!!

• 19004 posts
    February 17, 2013 11:23 PM PST
    LIKE!
    • 1364 posts
    February 17, 2013 11:29 PM PST
    Right on , Very Kool Lucky
    • 9 posts
    February 19, 2013 6:19 AM PST
    Lemme know how that feels to ya. I'm not a fan of pullin' stuff, but if it's flexible enough to take a Tweek turn,
    then it might be worth investigating. Yeah, I know...cart before the horse. Hey...I'm always thinkin' ahead!
    And unless God Blesses me, with the '45 Panhead Servi-car I want...

Ride Free
    Tweek
    • 834 posts
    February 19, 2013 8:05 AM PST
    Sweet. But i does need a CycleFish logo! How much is a trailer like that?
    • 5417 posts
    February 19, 2013 8:25 AM PST
    They start at $1270 for the small "Shadow" model I got and go up for larger sizes. They shipped it from Oklahoma to me here in California for just over $200.

http://minitrailerusa.com/motorcycle-trailers.htm
    • 5417 posts
    February 25, 2013 3:32 AM PST
    Finally finished my hitch (check it out here Road King Trailer Hitch) and took my trailer out for its first ride yesterday.  I put about 200 pounds in it bringing the total weight to just under 400 lbs.  I couldn't event tell the trailer was back there - excelt when I took a right turn to close and it went on the curb  

• 19004 posts
    February 25, 2013 4:16 AM PST
    Cool!!!