Throttle Return Cable on Harley Dyna

• August 12, 2009 8:27 AM PDT
    I am getting ready to install mini ape hangers on my Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide.  I would really like to have a clean look with all electrical inside and as few cables as possible.  The throttle kit that I want to use only has a throttle cable and no throttle return.  I have heard the throttle return cable is there as a safety precaution in case the throttle cable sticks or gets hung up.

So I have two questions...

1) Is the throttle return cable really necessary?

2) If I leave it off do I need to make any additional modifications?
    • 5419 posts
    August 13, 2009 4:21 AM PDT
    I am not an expert on this, but I did ask serveral mechanics when helping a buddy put a set of naked apes on his bike. The answer I got was pretty much...

You don't actually need the throttle return cable, a.k.a. idle cable. The throttle return, or idle cable, has two purposes, both safety related: first, in the event your throttle cable sticks, gets hung up, or the return spring fails...it allows you to still throttle down by twisting the throttle forward; second, it keeps you from twisting the throttle too far forward and potentially unhooking the throttle cable.

I personally would leave it on if possible, but I usually operate on the side of caution myself. Years ago, on an old Honda 350, I had the throttle cable stick and ran right into the side wall of a store. I know if the throttle sticks you could just pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch, but you don't always think that fast in an emergency situation.

Again I am not an expert, so maybe one of the mechanics here can chime in on this.
  • August 13, 2009 9:32 AM PDT
    I believe that Exile cycle makes a new version that works internally....
    As in both cables are attached to the inside of the grip and fed into the bars when the grip is attached. It looks super clean (nothing but grip showing).

I think they have it on their site........exilecycle.com

Good Luck!!!!

• 19007 posts
    August 13, 2009 9:51 AM PDT

The reasons stated by Lucky are exactly why cycles have two cables. In days gone by the cables were less resistant to rust and corrosion thus very prone to seizing or breaking. This was a definite problem. Today cables and cable materials are better but still not perfect. Being exposed to rain, dew and heat can still cause trouble. Unless you are one who religiously maintains your cables, the bike doesn't get many miles on it, and  if the bike doesn’t see rain or heavy dew then you can probably get away with just one cable. All this being said I further agree with Lucky, err on the side of caution.

• August 21, 2009 10:12 AM PDT
    Thanks for all the input. I decided to stay with the original Harley Davidson throttle housing, chrome with chrome buttons, and keep both cables. With braided cables and a custom hand grip it still looks really nice.

Thanks again.
  • August 21, 2009 12:42 PM PDT
    I think too many people are too hung up on hiding every little part on their bike to the point that there is nothing left to look at except a shinny paint job. Gizmos and mechanisms is what makes up a bike, the trick is not to hide them but to find ways to improve them in an aesthetic way and still serve the purpose they were meant for. My point is don't sacrifice safety for looks.
    • 844 posts
    August 28, 2009 6:50 AM PDT
      There are certain things that are just a natural part of a motorcycle, why hide them.  Just make sure they are done right and kept clean and they will look good as part of the bike.  Especially the parts that are there for our safety!