Pinging Noise on 2005 Harley Davidson FatBoy V-Twin

• 46 posts
    July 25, 2009 5:17 AM PDT
    When my 2005 HD FatBoy gets really hot, I notice what sounds like a valve ping when I first start out or throttle up.  I talked to a friend with a 2008 Road King (new 96 cubic inch motor) and he says he has the same pinging noise.

I know the HD V-Twin engine is air cooled and runs very hot, but my question is am I doing any damage, and is there something I could / should do about it.  Maybe add the Harley oil cooler?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    • 5420 posts
    July 26, 2009 12:43 AM PDT
    My 2007 Road King pings too when it is very hot, usually just for a second or two when increasing throttle.  But so did my 2002 RoadKing.  I just assumed that it was pretty much normal.

I have read many discussions about adding an oil cooler and most of them end with the bottom line is that  Harley's were designed to run hot and it is not needed.

I would love to hear from one of 'our' mechanics here and get their opinion.

• 19034 posts
    July 26, 2009 1:44 AM PDT
    I am not a mechanic but have a fair amount of knowledge on this---
    As I remember pinging (technicaly called pre-ignition) is the fuel (pre)-igniting when compressed, NOT a good thing. It is caused by heat (you said that) and gas that ignites too easily, usually a lower octane. V-twins have a modest compression ratio so this can be a problem.  I have never personally had this happen to my 04 Road King (he has run in temps as high as 116).  To comply with emission requirements all vehicles run a lot leaner that those from years gone by. Rex’s carb has been re-jetted and he runs a bit rich. My gas mileage is a bit lower than most but this does help him run a bit cooler. Maybe re-jetting or re-mapping will help, also octane boost additive.  Any mechanics please feel free to offer their opinion on my speculations.
  • July 26, 2009 4:28 AM PDT
    Take your windshield off...you won't even here it. That was only partially a joke. One thing I noticed when I started riding with a windshield is that my bike always sounded like it was making funny noises. All bikes make little noise, but when yuo have a windshield to block the road noise and echo anything coming from down in the engine area, they sound much worse.
    • 1 posts
    July 28, 2009 4:41 AM PDT
    Good answer from Rex. I would take his advice and have the carb or EFI re-tuned. As for the oil cooler...never really saw a need for those unless you live in the desert and constantly run in 100 degree+ weather.
  • July 28, 2009 9:34 AM PDT
    Ditto on the oil cooler, not necessary on this bike..., Old Shovelheads with large engines for sure as long as they are working and circulating properly (as in bypassing when needed as well as turning off the continuous lines on the inner primary and just making it a bath system like the newer syles)

But on Shovels and Pans with High Comp pistons and large dispacements there is also a little known secret out there and one i personally use all the time!!! Skip the oil cooler and go to you local Kendall oil distributor and ask them to order you a case of.......KENDALL NITRO 60.......This stuff is unbreakable and looks like liquid gold...

You will not find it on the shelf....I recommend that you use 20-50 for the first 500 miles.....Then straight to the Kendall
    and you will not regret it....

SHOVELS AND PANS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!

• 46 posts
    July 30, 2009 11:33 AM PDT
    Ok, dropped it off this morning at the local shop. They said I should have had it tuned, or programmed, or mapped (not sure what the correct word is with these new fan-dangled EFI systems) after I put on the new exhaust and air cleaner. So they did there computer magic and I picked it up on the way home from work.

Of course the weather is pretty mild here right now, so the bike is not running hot enough to where it would have pinged. But it does seem to be a little more responsive. Soon as I get the temp back up I'll let you know if that fixed the problem.

Thanks again for all the input.
    • 834 posts
    July 31, 2009 3:55 AM PDT
    That should help. I have an '04 Fat Boy and ride in 100 degree plus weather 5 months out of the year. I used to have the pinging noise too. Once I did the SE stage 1 high flow A/C, and the Fuel Pack never had the problem again.

• 5420 posts
    July 31, 2009 1:27 PM PDT
    Guess I am going to have mine tuned!
    • 844 posts
    August 3, 2009 9:33 AM PDT
    Drake, one thing no one has asked yet...Are you sure your just not lugging the motor being in too high of a gear when you throttle up?
    • 1 posts
    August 3, 2009 2:23 PM PDT
    Good point gofur, should of asked that. I can make any bike ping goosing it at 35 in 5th gear.
  • August 5, 2009 12:01 AM PDT
    No one has mentioned fuel rating, although Rex touched on it (good comments Rex) when he mentioned lower octane. Make sure that you check your owners manual for this and do what it says. Evo's run better on lower octane, the rule was go as low as you can until you here pinging and then go up one level, but Twin Cam's require higher octane ratings; usualy 93 if you can get it. I've seen riders do this a lot when they went from an Evo to a Twin Cam and continue to use lower octane as a 'force of habit.'
    • 1 posts
    August 7, 2009 9:07 AM PDT
    Another good point. Running octane less than recommended could definitely cause pinging. But that would normally cause pinging even when the bike is warmed to normal operating temp...at least from what I have always seen. But worth asking anyway if your motor is pinging on acceleration.
    • 46 posts
    August 12, 2009 6:30 AM PDT
    Well two weeks no and no more pinging. Guess the tuning took care of it!