Ladies, what do you do when you're too short!!?

• January 30, 2012 2:42 PM PST
    While on the height topic, does anyone know how I can lower an 86 V65 Honda Magna, I got this bike to work on but it is way to high for me especially in my un even gravel driveway
    • 1 posts
    January 30, 2012 3:21 PM PST
    bring back platform boots....if Gene Simmons can wear em anyone can.....
  • January 30, 2012 10:16 PM PST

• January 30, 2012 10:18 PM PST
    Didn't post my remarks...Bitchy is 4'11" she rides a Streetglide... just turned 40K...this works!
  • January 30, 2012 10:25 PM PST
    I'm 5' 4" and ride an 04 HD fatboy. It's never been lowered and my feet are flat on the ground when I'm sitting on it. I'm going to try and post a picture of my friend and I cutting up in the garage on it. BTW, I've never ridden anybody and to make sure I don't, I switched to a single seat and removed the rear pegs....

• February 1, 2012 7:51 AM PST
    I wouldn't lower a bike to learn to ride. Once you lower it the bike loses some of the lean angle. What that means is the bike used to lean over to 35 degrees now lowered it decrease a few degrees making the distance of a sharp turn long or giving larger radius. There are so many bikes out there that are perfect just the way they are, right off the line for new to the experience. There are some great suggestions, but I really liked my friends Honda spirit, and the other friends VLX both seemed to be great bikes they kept up in traffic and the one honda is I think 12 years old and her oldest son is learning to ride on it. The bike has not one problems. When picking a bike first think about how you are going to use it, around town to work, back roads only weekend fun will it tour or be towed for vacation usage. Why go and get a full dresser if you only going to ride on weeks a 100 miles or so and tow it to the big events? Why get a totally stripped down model if your going to take it on many cross country journies and long weekends? Are ya getting it cause everyone else has one? Do ya know anything about the bike? Do ya want to get a bigger one cause everyone else is riding road glides? Really seriously thing long and hard to answer the questions it is your life after all we are talking about right? or didn't you give that a thought? Can ya sit on it for longer than 15 minutes, arm reach too short? hard time changing gears, knees hit the handle bars? too wide of a seat? Not picking the correct bike the first time can be costly not just in dollar and cents either, but it can be the ultimate coast. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of any thing, I just say slow down think it through, is it want you want? are you comfortable? feel safe? or are ya not too sure once its just you and the bike? There are many ideas here and you've asked some of the questions, but there are other questions that need answers before ya sign that paper. have a great one! "T"
  • February 1, 2012 8:03 AM PST
    oh I noticed this was a year old so what did you decide on? have a great one! "T"
  • November 10, 2012 3:03 PM PST
    I'm 5'1" on a "tall" day. Been riding Yamaha V-stars for years - both the 650 & 1100. No issues with touching flat footed on either bike. Center of gravity is low which makes the bike feel lighter than others. I have many friends that have Shadows, bit I was not comfortable on them. I suggest test riding bikes - find the one that feel right for you.
  • November 12, 2012 9:00 AM PST
    I'm 5'3" and ride a Lowrider. I have also had several bikes for rentals when taking my bike in for service that either the handlebars were out of my reach, brakes or shifter. I am comfortable with my bike as I can reach all the controls and stand flat footed at a stop. There are several things that can be done to "adjust" a bike to you. Find a women's garage party at your local Harley Dealer, they are a hoot to go to and will give you valuable information.
  • November 16, 2012 8:59 PM PST
    get a trike or let someone else ride you and ejoy the view. their are plenty of bike out their i'am sure you can find one to fit you good luck
    • 823 posts
    November 17, 2012 7:40 AM PST
    My GF is 4'11". Rides a Honda Fury with no problems.
  • December 20, 2012 11:26 AM PST
    Ladies...i'm 5'2 and i have a sportster 883 HD...and i had an inch and a half heal added to my riding boots and i don't have any problems riding anything and can put my feet flat on the ground...this spring i'm hopeing to get my switchback and with a reach seat i won't even have to move the gear or break...lol
  • February 5, 2013 2:58 AM PST
    Karen, I have my own businessin Brady Texas, Kitchens Custom Saddle and Boot Shop. If any of you ladies need your boots extended get in touch, I have done so for two ladies that ride with the Blue Knights and they have not had any more problems reaching the ground from their bikes.
    • 5 posts
    March 1, 2013 12:51 AM PST
    My Dyna Low Rider has been lowered and I put a LePera Bare Bones solo seat on it and it's great. I'm only 5'3" and not only am I flat footed while sitting on it, my knees are bent. Its super comfy and feels very natural.
    My first bike was a 1200 Sporty which even though I lowered, I didn't feel comfortable on. It was to tall still and too top heavy. I got rid of it after 3 mos.
    My thought is, no matter what the bike, once you feel "Natural" on it, it's the right fit
  • April 24, 2015 7:35 AM PDT
    I am 5'0. Ride a 2001 Kawasaki 800 Drifter. Lowered 3" in back and 2" in front. Perfect for me now