Ladies, what do you do when you're too short!!?

• 513 posts
    February 16, 2010 2:11 AM PST
     AdventureGirl  wow bad bruise there, I would have to agree with you about being comfortably able to reach the ground. 
    I am 5 ft 9" and last August I went down and bust my ankle even though I can reach the ground fine. I dread to think what I would have happened if I could not have let her down slowly. 
    Tip toe is not good enough and you can cause damage to your bike and yourself  by not being seated correctly.
    • 19007 posts
    February 16, 2010 2:23 AM PST
    Interesting input from Steph, (being a guy I must say I didn't look at it from that perspective Steph) Inga and Buffy. These ladies have my total admiration and respect. They Know First Hand
    • 16 posts
    February 16, 2010 3:39 AM PST
    Harley Davidson Deluxe, seat height unladen, 25.9 inches. Plenty of good used ones on Craigslist/Ebay/Chopper Exchange.
    Harley Davidson Fatboy Lo, seat height unladen, 26.4 inches. Not many used one's as they're new this year.
    Harley Davidson Fatboy, seat height unladen, 27.5 inches. Again, plenty of good used one's out there.
    Still too tall? Add a Harley Davidson Reach Seat. It moves the rider approximately 1.5" lower and 1.5" forward from stock seat height.

Problem solved...
  • MJ
    • 35 posts
    February 16, 2010 4:47 AM PST
    I agree with most posts here. I am 5'4" and I knew what bike I wanted (Hertiage Classic) I was tip toed on it and I found it real hard to stop and not tip over. So I asked around about what I can do to help me get lower to the ground instead of lowering bike. HD has a seat called Easy Reach and oh boy did that seat make a HUGE diff... Didnt only bring me down 1.5" but pushed me forward 1". So now I am more comfy and able to balance bike that I am now ready to put my stock single seat back on. Just my 2 cents.. Michelle
  • February 16, 2010 4:56 AM PST
    try a honda 600 vlx, then buy some shorter shocks if thats still too tall, they sit pretty low to the ground, but if need be try a 1" to a 1 1/2" shorter shocks, that should do the trick..........
  • February 16, 2010 7:18 AM PST
    I deal with problems like this everyday at the shop! There are several bikes that address the hight issue and H-D shops have a fit center! Check the XL883L, XL1200L, XL1200N or a FLSTFB. There is several things that can be done to address more hight issues beside this. Hope this works out for you. Also for a rider course class take a Riders Edge and some Buell Blast have the low profile seat and that would help you on that.
    Best of Luck, and don't give up!
    Wes
  • February 16, 2010 7:21 AM PST
    Hi Gina , I'm only 5'1" and I ride 06 Dyna , I trim my seat (foam) about 4" and lower the front and back , my boots hv 2,5" heels. I'm rolling for three years and my firts long ride was to SC bike week , we all know you can do itjus find the right bike for you and work on it ... Good luck ...
  • February 23, 2010 6:30 AM PST
    I'm 5'3" and have a Shadow VLX. Perfect fit, I can more than "just" flat foot and it is light enough I don't have any trouble handling the stopped weight. It has been a great first bike.
  • February 28, 2010 2:50 AM PST
    I'm 5'3 and truely it's tough to manage certain task, as for my bike, a stocked 883 Sporter LR, It fits me like a custom,my feet are firmly on ground when they need to be, and i get to ride. I can't say that about my Dodge 4x4
    pickup i drive, i barely get enough grip on the hood to close it down, adding oil ,when needed, It don't happen without a boost .The truck is 11yrs old and using oil not leaking,but i really need to add a little stool in the back and that way i will not have hangout a Bucky's and ask a stranger to unscrew the oil cap and add the oil also. like i
    had to lastnight.
    My only other way,climb in and add, then go home wash my face change my white shirt and deceide it's later
    than I realized , 50 miles in front of me, wondering if i missed my friends already, and hey! The Red Green
    Show is on. Like Stephaniebritt advised ( sadly but true) I walked in the dealer and there was the bike i bought
    and still have ,and it feels great being succure on your ride. Although i felt comfortiable and well planted on a Fatboy that was low.Wishing you good riding !
    • 2 posts
    March 9, 2010 2:55 AM PST
    Not sure if people w/ a gender challenge can comment here
    If you are short consider a Blast - The practical top end is a 65MPH proposition but they are, well, a Blast.
    I might have bought one but even w/ the "Tall Seat" my knees were on my chin.
    Right now you can get them at Fire-Sale prices
    • 910 posts
    March 9, 2010 3:08 AM PST
    Dyna wrote...
     AdventureGirl  wow bad bruise there, I would have to agree with you about being comfortably able to reach the ground. 
    I am 5 ft 9" and last August I went down and bust my ankle even though I can reach the ground fine. I dread to think what I would have happened if I could not have let her down slowly. 
    Tip toe is not good enough and you can cause damage to your bike and yourself  by not being seated correctly.

Ooh Dyna, bruises heal faster than breaks. Hope your ankle injury didn't set you back too badly.
  • March 20, 2010 4:23 PM PDT
    To all you Silly girls...Its simple...you should just ride with me....more than happy to help while the ole leg heals up.....
  • May 2, 2010 11:03 AM PDT
    I totally understand how you feel regarding being short and finding that "perfect" bike for you! My husband found CycleFish, and wanted me to set me up as a member on here; however, I told him that until I had my own bike, I would not join, because I had wanted my own for so long, and was always told I was "too petite" because I am 5'1" if I have heals on! My inseam is actually 2'1/5". About 3 weeks ago, we stumbled across a 2008 Honda Shadow Aero 750, already lowered 2", and some seat padding removed also. It is the "Perfect" bike for me. I had never ridden before only as a passenger, so I've been going to a big parking lot and practicing. I was also very worried about the riding course having a bike fit me, however, my course started Friday night, and we made it through all the classroom and took the written portion, and I passed, but the riding portion had to be postponed to due storms in the area. The Harley dealerships use the Buell Blast for the course, and they have modified a bike to fit me as well, so I don't think you will have any trouble with the course at all! Even though, I haven't gotten to ride the course yet, I really enjoyed the classroom, so I know on the 22nd and 23rd the riding will be fun as well! I definitely recommend you take that class. I am just as much a "newbie" as you are, and vertically challenged as well! By the way, the bike I chose was 1 yr old with 2700 miles on it, and Very Reasonably Priced as it was already lowered and several accessories on it already! Good Luck to you, and please keep us posted on your progress!
  • May 2, 2010 11:57 AM PDT
    Ok,..I am only 5'1" ON A GOOD DAY.....lol,...I have a HD Sporty Custom 1200...also,.. I have a fantastic husband that did some great Mods for me,....I put "short" shocks on the rear, and did a for lowering kit on the front,..which has provided me with a firm flat foot on the ground with a very cool "slammed" appearance,..along with that,...I put some $$ into a solo seat that was tapered in front significantly in the crotch area with is perfect. It fits like a glove!!
    Best of luck to you,...my advice would be to buy what you like and modify it to your personal taste and fit. After all,....I like to be different and not conform to the cookie cutter image. Ride safe.
    • 2 posts
    May 23, 2010 7:04 AM PDT
    I'm 5' nothing and ride an Aero.
  • g
    May 23, 2010 7:07 AM PDT
    wood blocks on ur boots .
    • 25 posts
    August 27, 2010 8:55 PM PDT
    Well, I'm pretty short myself.  Five foot two on a good day.

What I usually do is stand on a stool and bend over the.... Oh wait, that's not what we're talking about is it....

• 1161 posts
    August 27, 2010 9:59 PM PDT
    Traccie wrote...
    Well, I'm pretty short myself.  Five foot two on a good day.

What I usually do is stand on a stool and bend over the.... Oh wait, that's not what we're talking about is it....

LOL
  • September 1, 2010 12:10 PM PDT
    I'm only 5'6" and I was also concerned about being vertically challenged and a new rider.  I test rode a 1200 sporster but ended up with an HD Super Glide Custom.  The bike is geared toward shorter folks.  I LOVE it!
  • TNT
    September 2, 2010 2:57 AM PDT
    Harley has a sportster called "48" You will fit perfectly. It is an 883. I am 5'4" and I am too tall for it. The seat makes a HUGE difference on any bike. harley makes a reach seat that is great for short people like us.
  • June 19, 2011 6:41 AM PDT
    I know this post is a year old, but in case anymore shorter women are looking, I am 5'3" (barely) and I ride both a 1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 and a 2003 Triumph America (800cc). I easily flatfoot the Vulcan and the Triumph is just a hair off of flatfoot.
  • August 21, 2011 1:14 PM PDT
    This is a cool site for those who are looking for a motorcycle based purely on seat height (or other specification):

http://findmyhog.com />
  • January 30, 2012 1:48 PM PST
    I just bought a '07 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 XL Low from a guy on Craig's List. For a good price too and in immaculate condition. It was his wife's but she quit riding. Look for the "Low" in the name. I'm 5'4" and with my riding boots on I can put my feet flat on the ground. Also the Sportsters aren't that heavy so not too hard to balance and ride. It works for me. It's heavier then the 250s we learned on in the training class but I'm getting used to it now. Some Harley dealers have what they call "Fit Shop" where they can modify your bike so it's more comfortable. You can read more about it on their web page. Hope this helps. Good luck and happy riding!
  • January 30, 2012 2:36 PM PST
    I am a 5'8 male rider. My first bike was a 600cc shadow which was low enough for me. I also found out with other bikes, that they can put a gel seat on which usually lowers it around 2 inches. They also have lowering kits.
    Hope this helps
    .ps the Yamaha Virago might also be an option. I have an 1100 virago and my feet are firmly on the ground with room to spare
  • January 30, 2012 2:39 PM PST
    While on the height topic, does anyone know how I can lower an 86 V65 Honda Magna, I got this bike to work on but it is way to high for me especially in my un even gravel driveway